How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
01-03-2009
  151
V.I.P.
 
model_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,262
NZ Hearld.co.NZ

Armani picks Kiwi model for runway show

4:00AM Sunday Mar 01, 2009
Rebecca Lewis

Emma Champtaloup models for Armani in Milan. Photo / Supplied


Few models can claim to be hand-picked by Georgio Armani, but that's exactly what happened to one lucky Kiwi.
Emma Champtaloup, 20, was chosen from 200 models to walk the catwalk at the fashion powerhouse's show in Milan Fashion Week on Friday.
Champtaloup, who finished studying at Diocesan School in Auckland two years ago, has spent the last year jetting between shows in such glamorous locations as Singapore, Hong Kong, London and New York.
Her mother, Fiona Champtaloup, said Armani's personal backing has been the biggest boost to Emma's career so far and she is "extremely excited" about her daughter's success.
"I got a call in the middle of the night and it was her yelling, 'guess what, guess what!' and she was just over the moon about it," Fiona said.
"She said Georgio Armani had hand-picked her and sat with her for half an hour while he looked through her books and talked to her about herself, before asking her to walk in his show."
"She said they got along really well and that he was a lovely man. It's amazing, I'm extremely excited for her.


Champtaloup is signed with Auckland-based modelling agency Red Eleven and has appeared at New Zealand Fashion Week and in several magazines. Manager Mandy Jacobsen said the Armani connection would boost her career - and her number of bookings.
"There are about 2000 models at Milan Fashion Week and about 200 that audition for Armani alone, so for her to get in is amazing," said Jacobsen.
"And then for Armani himself to grab her hand and show her the outfits she'll be wearing is incredible. I've never heard of that happening for other girls from over here.
"It's extremely hard work though and I think Emma was finding it hard to book jobs before this, but now it's going to open so many doors."
Emma's mother said her daughter would continue to live overseas and appear at Fashion Weeks around the world, possibly travelling to Paris and New York later this year. About 80 fashion houses are displaying collections during the Milan Fashion Week.

__________________
"Let's stop treating models like greyhounds we plan to shoot after a race. We have to remember we are dealing with real people who have real feelings."
- James Scully
  Reply With Quote
 
01-03-2009
  152
rising star
 
fashunviktim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: stockholm
Gender: homme
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith Akiyama View Post
^What do you mean? The recent girls -- Suvi, Natalia, Anna S. -- have all been in both the shows and the campaigns The clothes shown on runway are from the Calvin Klein Collection line, so if you're thinking of casting for campaigns for White Label, Jeans, or CK, those operate under very different premises/circumstances from the runway casting.
what i mean is they have Anna S exclusive for the show with charlotte H and they stick them in the middle of the show and open with anya k... but they do the campaign with anna s and nothing with charlotte h or anya K who OPENED collection. it is stange to me.

then this season they dont even use anna s. so she does one CK show and has 1 outfit in the middle of the show, but is the campaign girl? i think that looks bad for the girl. if CK want to make a statement about a girl and make her CK and do exclusives, they should put them in good positions in the shows, no? it makes them seem not focused on branding. i understand jeans and the other ones are different, but for sure for collection i think they have made many mistakes.

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  153
Zenga Zenga
 
penny609's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Le Cabinet-Placard
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty_s View Post
Absolutely true. Think one of the best shows in the world, they've done that and will do it, because they can.
I'm not totally sure it's just "because they can". Said like this it sounds cruel but if indeed they can while other probably can't do it that easily, there are also a few reasons that make them drop one girl or the other at the very last minutes, dressed up etc. When such a show puts so much efforts in being selective with their castings, when they rely a lot on their exclusive's effects, I think changing is a part of their overall strategy

Of course, it's something that might be hard for the girls, the agencies that were pushing them etc. It's hard but it's fair. If you want to be selective, you have to keep it selective until the end.


Last edited by penny609; 01-03-2009 at 08:28 AM.
  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  154
.
 
Faith Akiyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NYC
Gender: femme
Posts: 25,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashunviktim View Post
what i mean is they have Anna S exclusive for the show with charlotte H and they stick them in the middle of the show and open with anya k... but they do the campaign with anna s and nothing with charlotte h or anya K who OPENED collection. it is stange to me.

then this season they dont even use anna s. so she does one CK show and has 1 outfit in the middle of the show, but is the campaign girl? i think that looks bad for the girl. if CK want to make a statement about a girl and make her CK and do exclusives, they should put them in good positions in the shows, no? it makes them seem not focused on branding. i understand jeans and the other ones are different, but for sure for collection i think they have made many mistakes.
I understand your point, but too often can casting for luxury apparel marketing be related to agency politics/perceived popularity of a girl/photographer preferences rather than any concept of branding. The merchandise being sold here does not require a set identity in terms of the model -- labels like CK have already established themselves in the public psyche, and campaigns mainly serve the purpose of reminding potential consumers that the brand is still thriving (And can afford adspace in the likes of Vogue) and what the new collection "looks like." To many of those who can actually afford such items, the girl who is wearing it, whether it be on the runway or in the campaigns, is inconsequential. It may cause mental dissonance within some of us, but to a company like CK, it may be the least of their worries

While CK did a nice job of positioning with Natalia over all those years, those days seem to be over (For now).

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  155
Zenga Zenga
 
penny609's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Le Cabinet-Placard
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,617
I totally share your point on this. There is always a slight (or huge) difference between the runway casting and the campaign casting. And many parameters involved in this. And besides the fact buyers mostly don't care about who are the model etc. you will also have examples like Prada - last campaign includes girls (at least one ) that didn't walk the show but might be favorites of the photographer, the stylist etc.
I don't say it works like that at CK as I couldn't tell, I was just thinking this also happens. Quite often after all

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  156
rising star
 
fashunviktim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: stockholm
Gender: homme
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith Akiyama View Post
I understand your point, but too often can casting for luxury apparel marketing be related to agency politics/perceived popularity of a girl/photographer preferences rather than any concept of branding. The merchandise being sold here does not require a set identity in terms of the model -- labels like CK have already established themselves in the public psyche, and campaigns mainly serve the purpose of reminding potential consumers that the brand is still thriving (And can afford adspace in the likes of Vogue) and what the new collection "looks like." To many of those who can actually afford such items, the girl who is wearing it, whether it be on the runway or in the campaigns, is inconsequential. It may cause mental dissonance within some of us, but to a company like CK, it may be the least of their worries

While CK did a nice job of positioning with Natalia over all those years, those days seem to be over (For now).

i guess. but there are also editors watching the show - not just buyers (actually in a way, editors who review the collection and choose pieses to shoot are more important in the bigger picture). and the editors are looking for inspiration for their shootings and if CK establishes girls as there girls, the editors are more than likely to put them in the magazine stories. then CK wins all around. there girl is in the magazine (vogue, W, V mag) and she is known as a CK girl. like natalia, it worked to everyones advantage. it was smart of CK to do that and i think Suvi and Anna S have failed for them. Maybe they will be wise and do again with Jac.

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  157
User Friendly
 
CharlottefromCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lala land
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,966
I think Calvin Klein may just be in a transition period, like when Natalia did their ads for season after season, then we had Suvi come in and fill the void, now they are moving on from Toni who has no big association with the brand anymore (afterall she did like 10 or so campaigns this past season), and Anna S was there to fill the void last season, we'll see if they pick anyone else up as THE FACE of the brand in the coming seasons

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  158
.
 
Faith Akiyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NYC
Gender: femme
Posts: 25,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashunviktim View Post
i guess. but there are also editors watching the show - not just buyers (actually in a way, editors who review the collection and choose pieses to shoot are more important in the bigger picture). and the editors are looking for inspiration for their shootings and if CK establishes girls as there girls, the editors are more than likely to put them in the magazine stories. then CK wins all around. there girl is in the magazine (vogue, W, V mag) and she is known as a CK girl. like natalia, it worked to everyones advantage. it was smart of CK to do that and i think Suvi and Anna S have failed for them. Maybe they will be wise and do again with Jac.
I just don't know if it works as much that way any more. Agencies can push and push certain girls that come to overshadow others who may have showed up on the runway in a more significant manner. Today editors/photographers/casting directors are bombarded with influences from sources far beyond the catwalk -- they can even do their own research online and find out which names they may prefer to use. Overall, it's no longer a safe bet to automatically assume that a significant runway appearance signals supermodeldom on all levels (e.g. All the Prada girls that have fallen into semi-obscurity), whether the model is potentially representative of the brand in the long-term or not.

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  159
fashion elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,551
The lack of exclusives at Prada and zero exclusives at Gucci is kind of despressing.

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  160
User Friendly
 
CharlottefromCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lala land
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,966
Katlin Aas I am assuming is exclusive? She did no shows in Milan and she opened

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  161
backstage pass
 
trikekos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: everywhere
Gender: homme
Posts: 796
yeah, I think so, she did some shows in London..

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  162
trendsetter
 
wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1#FashionVictim View Post
The lack of exclusives at Prada and zero exclusives at Gucci is kind of despressing.
i know what you mean. i feel like there were no surprises this year at Prada

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  163
fashion elite
 
modela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,660
for me the casting at prada was so and so...

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  164
User Friendly
 
CharlottefromCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lala land
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
i know what you mean. i feel like there were no surprises this year at Prada
Yulia Lobova.. i thought that was random casting choice at Jil Sander and then repeat random at Prada

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2009
  165
tfs star
 
wednesdays child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,627
THe no Toni thing at calvin and prada is interesting though.. and i do like Katlin's look..

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, casting, f or w, model
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.