How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

What to think about Nina Ricci. I just took a look at the casting at S/S2012 and that one was so much better, only a couple new faces.
Now: only a couple familiar faces, i even miss Arizona's face.

01-03-2012
tfs star

I know im in the minority here but I look at Prada and Balenciaga castings slightly differently than at other shows. For me they're more opinion leading forums regarding beauty and aesthetics rather than a 'traditional' balanced mix of different casting categories like supers, regulars and newbies. The former is more experimental hence more subjective to failure yet I truly admire the confidence it takes to launch all these new faces in thoroughly scrutinized line-ups and collections. I agree they might be a bit heavy on the amount of new faces but at the same time I enjoy discovering them. Of course some of them will be 'blimbs' but that's fashion....
Having said that, i was disappointed in the 'loyalty' factor especially in Balenciaga. Mirte, Carla, even Juliane? They belong at Balenciaga.....

On a sidenote. Im seriously enjoying Elza Luijendijk. She might just be the only blonde break out face this season that has that extra special fire in her eyes.....

Last edited by Vitamine W; 01-03-2012 at 03:13 PM.
01-03-2012
Alluring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith Akiyama View Post
Come to think of it, what stunned me the most about Balenciaga is the disappearance of label favorites: Aymeline, Katlin, Mirte...that was definitely unexpected.
Same me for me.

Still I quite liked Balenciaga casting, but then again, it might have been for the hair & make-up which made everyone look good in my eyes. I'm glad they cast Querelle and Jamie again at least.

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

Since we've all been talking about the high turnover rate at some of the shows this season, I thought I'd do a little experiment. I looked at the cast last season for certain shows and their cast again this season to see what percentage were repeat walkers.

Balmain
Number of girls FW12: 23
Number of girls SS12: 24
Repeat girls: 14
61% of walkers this season walked last season
58% of walkers last season repeated again this season

Gucci
Number of girls FW12: 27
Number of girls SS12: 22
Repeat girls: 15
56% of walkers this season walked last season
68% of walkers last season repeated again this season

Balenciaga
Number of girls FW12: 43
Number of girls SS12: 36
Repeat girls: 22
51% of walkers this season walked last season
61% of walkers last season repeated again this season

Marc Jacobs
Number of girls FW12: 53
Number of girls SS12: 46
Repeat girls: 26
49% of walkers this season walked last season
56% of walkers last season repeated again this season

Prada
Number of girls FW12: 41
Number of girls SS12: 41
Repeat girls: 14
34% of walkers this season walked last season
34% of walkers last season repeated again this season

Calvin Klein
Number of girls FW12: 26
Number of girls SS12: 24
Repeat girls: 7
27% of walkers this season walked last season
29% of walkers last season repeated again this season

I did these particular shows for comparison. I was surprised the number of repeats for Balenciaga and MJ was so high. I know people here have been saying that a lot of Balenciaga regulars were missing, but the numbers suggest it was still a very consistent makeup. Prada and CK on the other hand have vary a lot from season to season, with less than 1/3 of the girls repeating their appearances.

PS. Zuzanna Bijoch is the only one who repeated at all six.

Last edited by MyNameIs; 01-03-2012 at 05:33 PM.
01-03-2012
V.I.P.

Last season's Louis Vuitton and Jonathan Saunders opener Chrystal Copland has booked only 2 shows in NY, 1 in Milan and 1 in Paris so far. Ouch.

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

^ I have noticed that all the S/S 2012 Katie Grand girls seem to be dropping like flies...Chrystal, Caitlin, Marihenny and to a lesser extent Romee. I wonder what went wrong TBH because she seems to be quite good with supporting her favourite models in the past.

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottefromCA View Post
Walking Balenciaga used to be so special b/c if a new girl walked the show there was a good chance she would stick around and walk it again next year, but with half the cast being new(ish) that obviously is even more improbable. Now its like Prada, very blip-ish.
That's exactly the point. If half of the girls are newcomers anyway no one of them is really going to stand out. Tbh I find a cast with only a very few new girls a lot more appealing and interesting. Their faces will keep memorized while I won't even pay much attention to loads of new faces when browsing through the collection.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
Since we've all been talking about the high turnover rate at some of the shows this season, I thought I'd do a little experiment. I looked at the cast last season for certain shows and their cast again this season to see what percentage were repeat walkers.

Balenciaga
Number of girls FW12: 43
Number of girls SS12: 36
Repeat girls: 22
51% of walkers this season walked last season
61% of walkers last season repeated again this season

I did these particular shows for comparison. I was surprised the number of repeats for Balenciaga and MJ was so high. I know people here have been saying that a lot of Balenciaga regulars were missing, but the numbers suggest it was still a very consistent makeup. Prada and CK on the other hand have vary a lot from season to season, with less than 1/3 of the girls repeating their appearances.

PS. Zuzanna Bijoch is the only one who repeated at all six.
True, about Balenciaga but there will still 21 new faces, which I personally find really high. And it was shocked not to see some regular balenciaga faces.

Nina Ricci had 42 girls with only 14 repeaters from the S/S 2012 season (there were then 38 models). Again both times Zuzanna was also there.

Where the heck is Daphne? I expect her to show up at Dior at least..

Last edited by Forrest; 02-03-2012 at 04:05 AM.
02-03-2012
fashion elite

Karlie Kloss, Frida Gustavsson, Jourdan Dunn, Andreea Diaconu, Toni Garrn, Joan Smalls, Josephin Skriver and Shu Pei at Christian Dior

02-03-2012
V.I.P.

Isabel Marant
Guess they will be late with the models from Dior..

AlexSteinherr twitter

02-03-2012
backstage pass

I really enjoyed the Christian Dior casting. It was nice to see a show filled with top girls instead of the wave of bland newbies. Aymeline opening was also a plus for me

V.I.P.

Dior may have had my favorite cast of the season. It was large, but with so few newbies, it didn't feel like a crowd. Again, no gimmicks or stunt castings, just a great batch of girls.

fashion elite

Christian Dior casting was nothing but spectacular, never dissapoints for me, it even casts all of the girls who weren't doing so well in this bizarre season.
I might be wrong, but it seems that Dior tends to cast the girls by walk, cause i never see a defined aesthetic in the show. You have a great walk, than you're in the show lol

Love to see appearing the girls that haven't shown anywhere yet, like Karmen, juju, etc...

Dior's casting by John Pfeiffer today makes me more glad that Bill G. is rumored to be staying on for six more seasons...the Raf Simons rumors were refreshing, but the casting would've been quite different/much more bland with him at the helm (And likely Rami & Maida taking over). Today's cast IS quintessentially Dior.

02-03-2012
V.I.P.

Just as we were discussing Balenciaga's lack of loyalty this season, it seems Dior is hitting the right note. It's nice to see the house stay true to some girls who aren't doing so super well otherwise, and at the same time include some promising new faces like nadja bender and vanessa axente

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, casting, f or w, model