How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-03-2012
tfs star

Daria S, Kati, Julia Nobis, and Kasia are slaaaaying the season, incredible.

04-03-2012
tfs star

It was really nice seeing Dafne Cejas return with an Hermes opening.

What's going on with Emily Baker? Only 1 show in Paris thus far... she's really lost a lot of momentum.

04-03-2012
V.I.P.

I recognized that too. She did still good in New York, I don't know what happened since then. She might got pushed too much, walking all the major shows in her debut season already.

V.I.P.

So many blips at Givenchy. I was extremely appalled by the casting.

05-03-2012
V.I.P.

i found the Givenchy casting list, very refreshing, interesting and attracting attention -like many of the new faces

05-03-2012
V.I.P.

I prefer Kenzo and Gallianio's over Givenchy tbh.

I was very dissapointing in Celine's cast. They usually have familiar faces, but just go with the hype. Maybe cause it's a presentation, but still..
Stella seem to have a decent cast, i know i'm probably shouldn't say this but I missed Bette there.

*Emily is doing really bad, feel bad for her.
*Laura Kampman just did two shows, not really what you expect from a vogue italia cover girl who also did balenciaga campaign and is/was a meisel excl.
*Daphne was spotted doing castings, but didn't show up anywhere.
*Jac, I miss her in a lot of shows.

05-03-2012
V.I.P.

ETA: Bette was there, stupid me. Just woke up.

Girl I want to add is Mirte Maas: she did great in NY and Milan but isn't in the topshows she used to walk.

05-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Stella seem to have a decent cast, i know i'm probably shouldn't say this but I missed Bette there.
Didn't she open?

05-03-2012
backstage pass

^^Girls of Mirte's generation are not doing good as well so I guess that crop of girls is no longer considered 'fresh faces' any more?

05-03-2012
V.I.P.

^^ It was Natalia Vodianova who opened Stella McCartney, many fashion editors tweeted about her opening during the show.

05-03-2012

From the cast alone, you can really tell that Chloe changed stylists from Tabitha Simmons to Camille Bidault-Waddington...

05-03-2012
V.I.P.

I've wondered about this for a while, and this season especially, with so many 'prestigious' brands having such low key castings with so many newbies, etc, what makes a brand a "good" show for models to walk? And how does a show become one of those "good" shows?

When it's a storied brand with lots of prestige and history, like say Chanel and Dior, then I can understand. But what about shows like Isaac Mizrahi? Looking at his shows from the 90s, it was full of supers, so it must have been one of the 'it' shows back then. Now, if he even puts out a show, it's far from the 'must walk' shows of the season. On the other hand you have shows like Alexander Wang which have really established themselves as 'one of the big guys'. At the same time, someone like Zuhair Murad has been casting some big names the last couple years and I don't think anybody, here at least, gets any excited over it. Why is that so?

Right or wrong, I usually judge a show's quality (not the quality of the collection, mind you) based on the cast. If I see a lot of big names walking there then I think it must have been a desirable show to be in. If it's a bunch of newbies and/or has-beens then I may think less of it. But Prada and CK can cast 90% newbies and everyone is still salivating over whomever they cast. Is this just a case of hype or is there something more to it? If someone like Natasha Poly can get her usual 50K walking for Christian Siriano, does she take it? Or does she skip it in favor of Prada, even if she only gets 500 for the latter? And since Arizona was a topic of discussion here earlier, why is it bad for her career that she may have picked to walk for Genny for a higher fee than had she walked for Prada? (unless the fee for Genny wasn't higher)

Now I'm not talking about getting a campaign as part of the reason for walking, I'm talking strictly runway. Where is this so called 'prestige' for certain shows coming from? It's not correlated to the pay (because it's been established that someone like Marc Jacobs pays with goodies). Nor does it seem to be correlated with big names presence (because nobody would think twice about CK).

Sorry to ramble on like that, it just all seems so arbitrary.

Last edited by MyNameIs; 05-03-2012 at 11:01 AM.
05-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
I've wondered about this for a while, and this season especially, with so many 'prestigious' brands having such low key castings with so many newbies, etc, what makes a brand a "good" show for models to walk? And how does a show become one of those "good" shows?

Now I'm not talking about getting a campaign as part of the reason for walking, I'm talking strictly runway. Where is this so called 'prestige' for certain shows coming from? It's not correlated to the pay (because it's been established that someone like Marc Jacobs pays with goodies). Nor does it seem to be correlated with big names presence (because nobody would think twice about CK).

Sorry to ramble on like that, it just all seems so arbitrary.
A show start to become "prestigious" when a big creative team is involved in it. As soon as you have a Marie-Amélie Sauvé on styling for your show, it won't be a big challange to get considerably coveted girls to walk your show for a bag of last season's collection. The "prestige" (for new and semi-established girls) is so to say that other people will start to associate a model with a huge stylist/casting agent and so on after she walked the show. I mean, see how people start to call models who walk for Giles/LV "Katie Grand girls" and so on. As for established girls, walking a show like Balenciaga is pretty good to show people that Sauve, Brokaw and McGrath are still "in love" with you. Runway is an easy way to show magazine editors that you are still in demand, after all the seasons. And of course the established girls also want to stay loyal to people they have been working with for years.

05-03-2012
V.I.P.

^^I don't think Arizona picked Genny over Prada, just that she wasn't cast for Prada anyway and then could walk for Genny.
I can't imagine that someone would take Genny over Prada.. i'll think they would pick Prada even if they pay less.

But I agree with you, I also judge a fashionshow by the casting and most of them didn't excite me at all.

05-03-2012
fashion elite

Still no news about Louis Vuitton? I'm hoping for an epic cast but i doubt

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, casting, f or w, model