How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

Laura Kampman had a terrible season. Only one major show in Paris.

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
So far, this season was a mess. Sure I get that the dark clothes goes with a type of beauty, but it was to much. To less big names, to many new faces in one show, only Milan was exciting with Poly and at the Wang show. I was glad Karlie was in Paris but would except to see her more.

It seems the trend was to get as many dark haired newbies as you can. I agree that ugly beautiful this day is "in" and they were in almost every show. True beauty's like Jac, Ymre, Toni and Frida didn't have that much show. I think for Ymre it was better to start a full season last season or wait a other season..

The stars are ofcourse Kati, she was in almost every big show and opened/closed quite a lot in NY. She is the "it" face of the season and also Zuzanna was almost everywhere.
Others who did quite good: Ava, Nadja, Kasia and Bette.
Unfortunatly blonde is not in. But Hanne Gaby, Ginta seems to always get their share.

Most odd case indeed Laura Kampman; she did only two shows in Paris and like 4 in Milan.
M&M's exclusive Daphne (a couple years ago) did a way better job then Meisels exclusive Laura. tbh Laura isn't really exciting to watch, very bland.

Loyalty: where was it by some designers (balenciaga for example)? Prada did have quite a lot newbies but also faces you always see at Prada.
Josefien 3 times opened ck in a row and now not even in one show casted bij rami and the other.
@AlbertNoir: you hate ugly but you're glad Jac (one of the most beautiful models) slowed down? uhh?

Arizona Muse (except maybe paris), Daphne Groeneveld, Emily Baker where were they? Most castings were all the same, i only enjoyed the castings that stayed loyal to their models with some new faces or the ones that didn't have the same cast we saw everywhere: like Stella McCartney, Balmain, Isabel Marant, Dior, Kenzo.

Jac is a beautiful girl, but I don't ever get her appeal! That short and little nose, i hate ugly newbies, but Jac has a too perfect kind of face imo, I think she's boring

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

Without conducting any scientific research and leaving most of the newbies out of the picture (simply because I can never keep track of them all and don't know their names), here are my thoughts on this season's castings.

1. It may have been a season of 'brunettes' but I thought it was also a good season for the comeback girls, or sort-of-comeback girls. Not all of them took a definite 'break' and some have been walking for a couple seasons since the break, but whatever the case, these girls were walking the runway strong. Again. Tanya, Lily D, Meghan C, Ymre, Bette, Suvi, etc. And I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention, but I don't recall Kendra Spears walking so many quality shows in seasons past.

2. The standouts for me, not because I like them (I don't, for the most part) but they were most consistent with the prolific shows. They are, Daria S, Kasia, Joan, Zuzanna and Kati. One would be hard pressed to find many top shows where at least four of the five didn't walk. That's not to mention the high ratio of openings/closing they had as a group.

3. The girls who rose to the top in the last year or two had BRUTAL seasons. Juju, Emily Baker, Nyusha, most of last season's Top Ten. Even the girls who have already managed to make a name for themselves, struggled. I'm looking at Wixson, Daphne, Arizona, even Jac and Caroline BN.

4. Aside from Alexander Wang, and perhaps Miu Miu, castings were simply underwhelming. I don't think they were all bad, necessarily. Some had a good amount of 'stars' and some may argue that others had casts that 'fit' those collections, but they weren't really exciting. Even the usual suspects that like to go all out, Marc, Givenchy, Dolce, Vuitton, had very tame and expected casts. After that spectacle at Wang, it was all down hill from there. It'll be really interesting to watch the campaign castings, whether it will follow suit or go back to the proven girls.

5. The girls from the "golden age of modeling" (aka, early/mid 2000s) are officially gone. Daria, Raquel, Snejana, Chanel, Sasha (pregnant), Freja, probably a ton more I'm forgetting, all skipped the season completely. Lily, Tanya, Olga, Vlada, etc walked very, very sporadically. Only Anja and Natasha still seem to do it on a regular basis. Makes me sad (I know, I know, that's reality).

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
I'm looking at Wixson, Daphne, Arizona, even Jac and Caroline BN.

I agree with most of your list minus Lindsey. I think she is being more selective. She walked most of the major shows in Paris

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

^ agree

how about Constance which i love
do we blame it on EL?

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaultier_Bandit View Post
How has Karlie carried the season...when she didnt even walk 3/4 cities?
I just meant that she has been getting a lot of press during fashion week, and she has been the star of Paris, imo. NYFW was all about Joan & Karlie, even though Karlie skipped the whole week.

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelineo View Post
I agree with most of your list minus Lindsey. I think she is being more selective. She walked most of the major shows in Paris
Oh, you are correct. For some reason I thought I had remember that she underwhelmed in NY. But I just went back and she did quite great, especially in Paris and Milan (NY too).

V.I.P.

As dissapointing as LV was, Miu Miu definitely made up for it. One of the best casts of the season! I was waiting for something like this

07-03-2012
backstage pass

I was pretty surprised not to see Kolfinna make an appearance in Paris after her pretty good start and already securing a top 10 newcomer spot back in Milan...
This season's casting is probably the least predictable it has been in a while (not a good unpredictable). The girls you thought would do well haven't been doing so and the girls who started off well seemed to have lost their momentum or disappeared off the radar completely. So many new faces and so many exclusives (Givenchy was ridiculous) but no one has really stood out that much. Weird.

07-03-2012
trendsetter

^ Me to! I'm pretty sure she was doing castings in Paris too..

07-03-2012
tfs star

Im so glad this season is over, what a hot mess. A monsoon of newbies, a flood of exclusives (I'm looking at you Givenchy!), comebacks, irrational castings, irrelevant appearances. UGH I need a shower.

Last edited by Vitamine W; 07-03-2012 at 01:05 PM.
07-03-2012
fashion icon

Givenchy really was a mess in terms of casting. The first 11 girls were unrecognizable, and then Joan finally came out. I hope the runway castings this season doesn't mirror the campaign season. I think the icons will be in a lot of ads this time around.

07-03-2012
Unveil Yourself....

Is it a sad sign of the times when I think Doutzen closing Miu Miu is the highlight of Paris casting? Especially since I realise Miu Miu and Doutzen are not a perfect match on paper.

twitter.com/ErikP87
07-03-2012
fashion elite

Best casting of the season are a few:

1) Alexander Wang: THE BEST WITH NO DOUBT
2) Roberto Cavalli
3) Miu Miu

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

My faves are definitly: Isabel Marant, Balmain, Stella McCartney, Alexander Wang, Miu Miu (but not really for that show, but oh well), Dior, Kenzo, Emilio Pucci.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, casting, f or w, model