How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-09-2012
fashion insider

About the Julia thing, I don't think it really matters if she looks a little awkward on the runway as long as the clothes she's wearing looks good. The powerful and full-of-personality walkers in the 2007/2008 Versace runway line-ups are no longer the "thing".

25-09-2012
tfs star

^maybe it's because of her awkwardness that makes designers and casting directors think that the clothes actually look better on her! to sort of divert the attention away from the model and on to the clothes haha. if that's the case, then more power to her.

julia's got a great blank canvas of a face and great skin, so i can see how casting directors like her. for me, she's just ok, but if i was a casting director, i don't think i would ever consider her opening/closing a show.

overall really bored and uninspired by a lot of the casting this season, especially maida and rami's castings. hopefully paris will be better.

V.I.P.

Anyone else think there might be a shift towards a separation between 'runway models' and 'editorial models' like it used to be the case before the Supermodel era? I know there have always been models that were strong in print and didn't walk many shows and vice versa but at the moment I feel like none of the girls that are racking up a lot of significant print work (Daphne Groeneveld, Lindsey Wixson, Saskia de Brauw, and as for newer faces Kelly Mittendorf and Anais Pouliot) are doing well during Fashion Week. And we are seeing so many girls walking tons and tons of shows and yet they never ever get a big cover or campaign. I don't remember this difference being as apparent before. Even typical runway fillers like Anabela Belikova and Vlada would at least star in some blue chip campaigns in the beginning of their careers, I don't see this happening with many of the top walkers of the last few seasons. It will be interesting to see how Ava Smith's and Tilda Lindstam's stellar runway season will translate into print work because quite frankly I can't imagine them fronting any major campaigns yet. Maybe I will be proven wrong, though

As for the Julia Nobis discussion, I think she's great. Sure, she looks rather bland but she's a solid walker and she fits every show. And I like that in spite of her somewhat plain look she has this great personality shining through in everything she does. I totally get her appeal. It's crazy she's still walking such an insane amount of shows, she was the top walker two seasons in a row and she's not showing any signs of slowing down!

26-09-2012
V.I.P.

I agree! Besides, if Ava and Tilda were so loved they would have already appeared in big campaigns and eds last season but they didn't. I can see Ava pulling a Julia Nobis or Anais Pouliot though, they've gotten their success a few seasons after their debuts.

26-09-2012
V.I.P.

I think Lindsey has been rather selective this season. The only minor show she has done was Armani.

26-09-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
Anyone else think there might be a shift towards a separation between 'runway models' and 'editorial models' like it used to be the case before the Supermodel era? I know there have always been models that were strong in print and didn't walk many shows and vice versa but at the moment I feel like none of the girls that are racking up a lot of significant print work (Daphne Groeneveld, Lindsey Wixson, Saskia de Brauw, and as for newer faces Kelly Mittendorf and Anais Pouliot) are doing well during Fashion Week. And we are seeing so many girls walking tons and tons of shows and yet they never ever get a big cover or campaign. I don't remember this difference being as apparent before. Even typical runway fillers like Anabela Belikova and Vlada would at least star in some blue chip campaigns in the beginning of their careers, I don't see this happening with many of the top walkers of the last few seasons. It will be interesting to see how Ava Smith's and Tilda Lindstam's stellar runway season will translate into print work because quite frankly I can't imagine them fronting any major campaigns yet. Maybe I will be proven wrong, though

As for the Julia Nobis discussion, I think she's great. Sure, she looks rather bland but she's a solid walker and she fits every show. And I like that in spite of her somewhat plain look she has this great personality shining through in everything she does. I totally get her appeal. It's crazy she's still walking such an insane amount of shows, she was the top walker two seasons in a row and she's not showing any signs of slowing down!
I don't think this is the case as much as the fact that there are waaaay to many models on the runway for everyone to have a spot in print. For example, Vlada is actually doing a lot of print lately. Girls that should be editorial girls like Arizona seem to have no problem booking runway.

V.I.P.

I think Bo Don will definately be the biggest surprise in Paris ! Vaccarello and now Balenciaga ..hmmm i think she will walk only A-list shows

27-09-2012
fashion elite

Anja Rubik, Anna Selezneva, Daria Strokous, Nadja Bender and Karmen Pedaru at Balmain.

27-09-2012
V.I.P.

I'm shocked at all the new faces at Balmain. Not a fan at all.

27-09-2012
backstage pass

Ann Demeulemeester casting was rather striking to the eyes. Some girls that I really want to know more about.

V.I.P.

Wow, Bo Don opening Balmain? She's making a strong comeback.

trendsetter

Marilyn didn't t even give her a ny showcard. Wonder what is up with Bo don.

27-09-2012
tfs star

^^Loving her 'comeback'. The shorter do works better on the runway than her previous look. Something with the shape of her head..We all know she can kill in print so hoping this leads to something.

PS whats with the relative absence of shorter hair do's? Hardly any on the runway....And WTF did they do to Asleigh Good's hair? Did the Balenciaga team pull a Laura Kampman/Patricia VdV on her look? Are Guido/Pat/Meisel behind this?

V.I.P.

Lin Kjerulf has not walked a lot of shows but she has piqued my interest since she opened Marc by Marc Jacobs.

ETA:
She's Danish.

Last edited by agee; 27-09-2012 at 10:58 AM.
27-09-2012
.my prison is your brain.

^ She knocked me over at Balmain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelineo View Post
I'm shocked at all the new faces at Balmain. Not a fan at all.
Interesting, I couldn't disagree more I thought it was a great balance of old and new and that the new faces they picked fit their mold perfectly.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
13, casting, model, s or s