How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-04-2006
Vogue Paris Intern

I've read an article in French Elle saying that models in Belarus aren't allowed to leave their country anymore for work purposes. So maybe modeling outside her country is the only way for Tanya to stay out of Belarus (which has remained a sort of communist country), regardless of her age. She probably feels lucky she got scouted on time

11-04-2006
backstage pass

I think if you're over 13, then it's alright.

11-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchCactus
I've read an article in French Elle saying that models in Belarus aren't allowed to leave their country anymore for work purposes. So maybe modeling outside her country is the only way for Tanya to stay out of Belarus (which has remained a sort of communist country), regardless of her age. She probably feels lucky she got scouted on time
That's an interesting fact-in that case at least she's signed and got scouted at the right time. I say that the idea of the no-under 16 rule is good-most of the time. In this case, Tanya should be an exception to the rule. If she was scouted in 2 years-well her chances of a career would be shot.

11-04-2006
backstage pass

i think anything under 15 is tooo young! any younger than that, some girls havent even finished going through puberty yet!

11-04-2006
backstage pass

I say no modeling on the CATWALK until you are 18! An adult!

11-04-2006
rising star

I think these girls should at least finish highschool first. Once they're in their mid-twenties and their careers are over, they've got nothing to look forward to because they don't even have a highschool level education. Very sad.

11-04-2006
trendsetter

I think 18 would be good. But to be realistic, 16 seems like a good rule of thumb. I noticed several 14-year-olds in Paris this past season. Too young!!

12-04-2006
Vogue Paris Intern

Women need to identify to the models who wear the clothes to want to buy it. In my case, if I see a model looking too much like a child or teenager modeling something, however beautiful it may be, I just find it ridiculous (even if I'm only 22). We need real women back on the runway. 16-year old models on the runway just look out of place.

12-04-2006
fashion elite

I think over 18... even mid 20's is good because... 1.)women buying the clothes are NOT under 18.... who has that kind of money as a teenager (unless you're a child tv star)??
2.)prepubescent (spelling?) bodies just aren't realistic. I couldn't imagine a child walking for Versace! To me... 17+ is good.

12-04-2006
fashion icon

I think some models are way to young. I think anything under 15 is to young

backstage pass

i definately agree with stefanie

12-04-2006
V.I.P.

I say 14 and under, b/c there is nudity involved and the lifestyle.

backstage pass

As I said once before.....

So many times I heard that sometimes models should start young because that will get them a head-start on modeling and exposure. The reasons given are often times that if they start young that they will have more experience/tear-pictures, a more developed portfolio, and exposure/reputation so they are sent to "practice markets" (most of the time) ie. Barcelona, Milano, London, Paris (but only if their 16, because they have a law that doesnít permit anyone under 16 to model there...but like in any business, if you have the right connections and some powerful people on your side you can work around that little "hindrance," as they call it). In the markets they are supposed to acquire as many tear-sheets, portfolio pics, and build a reputation as a model for themselves. As one of my good friends says "You are a Fresh Face only once, and you have to use it." I'm am not trying to criticize any young models, or people who might have different viewpoint than me. In the end everything depends on the situation. Nikki Taylor started young but in the end she was sign with IMG and became famous. On the other hand there are numerous young girls who tried and did not make it, and probably never will. Situation, and the type of girl is KEY.........one can, and should, never generalize, because there are ALWAYS exceptions.

There are some girls who are beautiful and have a model figure at a young age like 12 and 13, but 99% of the time when these girls get older to 17, and 18 they change. Their face might still be stunning, but they might develop 37in. hips, with a C/D bust. The times I talked to agents that is one of the reasons they give me for not wanting to sign girls who are to young or immature. Also sex is involved in modeling. It might be used to sell the product, as an image, prop, in the pictures, or as an activity. Young girls are not always ready for the environment which is involved in the business (I'm not saying every young girl couldn't handle it, but the majority couldn't).This is a business which is adult oriented, and made towards. In my opinion models should start to get involved the earliest at 16, or 17 (I understand that there could be some exceptions).Even though we want to believe that the world isnít to bad, and that there are good people, thereís always those bad seeds out there who want to use, abuse, and destroy lives, dreams, and hopes especially in a high profiled business such as modeling and fashion.

There are countless things that can go wrong with a young girl such as her body changing, her not possessing maturity, her getting pregnant, rapped, hooked on drugs and then becoming to scared to continue, and many others. But there are those exceptions where everything can fall into place at an younger age and a new star can be made!!!!!

Sorry so long,
just my two cents

12-04-2006
tfs star

I'm 15, and the thought of someone my age being on the catwalk makes me feel a bit odd. I know that if it were me up there, I wouldn't know what to do! It's frightening to think of- so many older models with so much more experience, kicking *** on the runway, with me looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

Camilla Finn will be an even better model when she gets a few years older. Why put her into an industry that most 20 year olds aren't prepared for?! Even though 16 seems strange to me, and I'd almost prefer for the age limit to be 18, I'm for this law. It's better than letting 13 year olds on the damn catwalk.

The thought of putting someone the age of my cousin Catherine (13) on the runway for hundreds, thousands, even millions of people to see- and in what could be a very revealing outfit, I might add- makes me sick.

Last edited by xxOceanEyesxx; 12-04-2006 at 08:31 PM.
17-04-2006
backstage pass

I like the 16 rule, but I'd prefer 18. In North America, you're usually finished high school by then, so you won't have to worry about studying or getting a GED. Anyone younger CAN model, but they should stick to juniors and other things that cater to the teen set. In other words, it's perfectly fine for a 15 year old to model for Seventeen, but she shouldn't be in Vogue.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
age, model, young