Model's Age - How Young Is Too Young? - Page 15 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
26-06-2009
V.I.P.

^In any case, it´s not the fashion world´s fault but her parents...

26-06-2009
trendsetter

oh! i forgot the parents, they are so guilty as fashion world is, and even more.

26-06-2009
tfs star

I think it is horrible that this girl has been working for the past 4 years and doing every show in the world... it is creepy.

I hate to see her objectified as a sex object even she looks older than her young age. (I mean, with all that make-up etc. everyone looks like a 25 year old of course) Not every show is like Marc Jacobs show.

It is wrong in every way, imo. Now she is 18, it is OK of course. She is most certainly old enough. But at 14, 15, 16..... No! And btw, I am not a prude in any way. Designers must have been a bit more perceptive about the message that they are sending. To me, this is worse than ultra-skinny girls controversy.

I mean I love DV, but is she joking??? She was 16 here!

style.com

26-06-2009
front row

some people are a bit too prude, sorry nothing against you and your opinions, I don't see nothing wrong with a young teen wearing sexy/revealing clothing (except in school etc), plus like someone else said models are professional, and their job is a lot similar to acting.
they shouldn't choose this work in the first place if this work don't meet their "morals", but this will end in so other many aspects...

26-06-2009
front row

pasha, you beat me to it lol, you say you aren't prude, um ok, but I think you are over reacting

ok I must admit I find it a bit disturbing too, using such young models to portray a femme fatal on runway and editorials.

I don't think Versace's message is "being sexy and desiderable by pedophiles"

she looks like a young woman in her early 20s, I see nothing wrong with it even though in reality she's 14 or 16.

26-06-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasha View Post
actually i don't see anything wrong with that dress; it's not like she's half naked. VS clothing has always been sexy, but not in a tacky kind of way.

26-06-2009
V.I.P.

I don´t think there´s nothing wrong with her runway shows/editorial works. And backstage she´s never a temptress but a cute and funny girl. The only time I felt uncomfortable about her age was with that nude pic for V, for me that was a bit too much giving that she wasn´t 18 at the time, was she?
But calling someone a prude just because they have opinions like Pasha it´s simplistic imo, we all come from different backgrounds, cultures, societies and have different views. As long as we don´t disrespect anybody I think it´s ok to discuss stuff like this, and just because Tanya visits this thread doesn´t mean we should only say nice things.

26-06-2009
V.I.P.

she wasnt on the Versace runway with her boobs out
I see nothing wrong with her doing those shows Im her age..
thats like getting upset for Dakota Fanning playing a teen prostitute
in a movie..Tanya is given a look and she must perform it models are just like
actors in my eyes..you can obviously see thats not who she is in BS shots i thinks its a little late to be discussing this shes old enoguh now

26-06-2009
the power of will

I'd say that we won't put the clocks back, now is now and now she's 18, we have nothing to do with her decision to go modeling at 14 and we should rather focus on the effects of her work as a model, great model that she defenietely is

Stop wherever you find yourself.
26-06-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasha View Post
I think it is horrible that this girl has been working for the past 4 years and doing every show in the world... it is creepy.

I hate to see her objectified as a sex object even she looks older than her young age. (I mean, with all that make-up etc. everyone looks like a 25 year old of course) Not every show is like Marc Jacobs show.

It is wrong in every way, imo. Now she is 18, it is OK of course. She is most certainly old enough. But at 14, 15, 16..... No! And btw, I am not a prude in any way. Designers must have been a bit more perceptive about the message that they are sending. To me, this is worse than ultra-skinny girls controversy.

style.com
I don't think there's something wrong with that. There's girls that are fully developed physically at 12.

26-06-2009
V.I.P.

^You said it : physically not mentally and we could even debate that fact. Anyway I think this is not the place to discuss this but I agree with pasha although I am just happy there is the model Tanya Dziahileva.

26-06-2009
V.I.P.

there is nothing wrong with that img shot in v. some people want to set this silly age line for consensual sex (or, in the case of that photoshoot, consensual nudity) because they tell us younger than this age consent is meaningless because the girl or boy has little knowledge of what she or he consents to.

but this argument doesn't hold water: we order kids to do a lot of stuff they don't understand - in fact, the whole fashion business is predicated on powerful, creative minds manipulating and shaping beautiful but subservient bodies. we find nothing wrong with this because we know that before the kid mentally, intellectually and morally matures, imposing our wills on her or him doesn't have to impair her or his future moral and intellectual autonomy and may actually help improve it. a girl can grow up being a model with the stronger wills of photographers, designers, editors imposed on her body, but one day she may, too, grow into a designer or something. in an extreme case, to the extent that pedophiles don't hurt their juvenile partners' future sexual autonomy, it is far better than for parents to impose their christian beliefs on their kids which will ruin forever the chance of the development of an wholesome and independent mind. so either we accept sexuality in children or, for the sake of intellectual integrity and consistency, prosecute christianity before prosecuting pedophilia

26-06-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
^You said it : physically not mentally and we could even debate that fact. Anyway I think this is not the place to discuss this but I agree with pasha although I am just happy there is the model Tanya Dziahileva.
Yes ... physically, but mentally women develop much sooner than men & in general girls at 14 are quite developed already, anyway, she must have got her parents support & agent. I honestly don't understand the point of this discussion. you know what? ask her about this & maybe she will answer !! or maybe she will post something about it here !

Move on !

26-06-2009
V.I.P.

I think I've posted this vid before, but Tanya talks about starting at 14 and says it was a "good school" and not dangerous. I think she is very grateful for the opportunity as her home was not very wealthy. But I do think they could have held her back until 16.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=55434703

26-06-2009
fashion insider

14 is too young to be doing modelling. Tanya is cute and all but I do not support children being in such an environment .

But let's say it's ok for her to do some work on holidays on weekend but NOT the sensual/sultry Versace walk! I'm sorry but that is out of line. There is nothing sexual about a 14 yr old and it's highly perverted.
This isn't Tanya's fault but this should not be happening in fashion.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
age, model, young