How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

22-07-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABoy View Post
How silly; as if the average person watching VS had any idea who Freja was, and as if the casting agents made decisions about whom to use based on the people who do know. These people are selling a product to consumers in middle america, and that product's sale is dependent upon the perception of sex/sexiness. Of course people who don't know about luxury fashion think Freja is sexy. It's just ridiculous to suggest otherwise -- if they didn't or could never, she wouldn't have been cast in the most commercial, middle market fashion show (it airs on a broadcast network!) that exists.
Don't you mean Lara??

22-07-2011
V.I.P.

Well, Freja doesn't strike me as the epitome of luxury fashion sexiness.
Freja seems very self-conscious which is quite appealing but sexy is a bit far fetched.
Rather Carola Remer, Aymeline Valade, Anais Pouliot come to my mind.

22-07-2011
V.I.P.

Bianca Balti needs to be in the sexiest List No.9 would be perfect for her
or Top 50 models list, can't believe she still isn't any list

22-07-2011
fashion elite

I don't know if the industry really pays attention to that list, but based on rankings, is Joan the highest-paid black model right now? No, right? I mean, that's what I find ridiculous about this list. We all go on and on about which model should be #1, but as long as they're making money, I don't think the models really care.

Is this list a reflection of the most in demand models, the highest earning or a combination of both? I remember someone once saying that there are models doing catalogue work (e.g Barney's, Nordstrom) who earn more than the Top 50 combined. Is that possible?

Last edited by Ochi Chernye; 22-07-2011 at 10:21 PM.

22-07-2011
backstage pass

MDC's top 50 is hardly scientific. No one has ever been able to really explain how the list is compiled or why one girl is ranked above the other except to say generalities like "It's based on the buzz around the girl, how much work they're getting, and the quality of the work."
That's hardly a mathematical algorithm.
In the end it's a bunch of people at MDC sitting in a room and making their subjective opinion--who they like, who they think should be ranked higher and who should be lower, what kinds of work they think deserve special attention, and what special considerations some girls should get for whatever reason.
They'll say that they are plugged into the fashion scene and know campaigns that girls are getting, but who knows how true that is. They've definitely ranked girls who have almost nothing to their resumes, no campaigns, a few runway appearances and some editorials in some edgy magazines, and we're like, "What?? Why is she ranked and so high?" We can only assume it's b/c she's landed a campaign(s) that haven't been made public yet. But then months later, there still is no campaign to speak of and the girl has disappeared from the list. Obviously something went wrong along the process.
And I still think agencies holds sway over some these choices. How odd is it that the number of girls that IMG and Women have are almost constant? If one of their girls gets dropped, there's another from the same agency that gets added. That's very coincidental.
And in response to the above query- yes catalogue models are paid very handsomely, in some cases much more so than HF girls. Jamie Bochert, for example, may be loved by the HF crowd, but she doesn't get paid much for a Lanvin campaign or Vogue Italia editorial. Her look also doesn't translate to middle America so she can't score something mainstream and I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Tori Praver made tons more money than her.

Last edited by woemwoem; 22-07-2011 at 10:39 PM.

23-07-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABoy View Post
How silly; as if the average person watching VS had any idea who Freja was, and as if the casting agents made decisions about whom to use based on the people who do know. These people are selling a product to consumers in middle america, and that product's sale is dependent upon the perception of sex/sexiness. Of course people who don't know about luxury fashion think Freja is sexy. It's just ridiculous to suggest otherwise -- if they didn't or could never, she wouldn't have been cast in the most commercial, middle market fashion show (it airs on a broadcast network!) that exists.

This is the problem with this thread; people so frequently cross the line between saying here's my subjective opinion (obviously we all have one) and here's what's right. You see it all the time with people who radically misrepresent how much/what work a model has done when all of this information is readily available online.
I agree on you with this. That was was I'm trying to say either. For the list it doesn't matter who we think are sexy and it's also pointless to discuss about someone opinion about who is sexy and who is not. It's a good thing we all have our personal taste

Last edited by Forrest; 23-07-2011 at 03:31 AM.

23-07-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochi Chernye View Post
I don't know if the industry really pays attention to that list, but based on rankings, is Joan the highest-paid black model right now? No, right? I mean, that's what I find ridiculous about this list. We all go on and on about which model should be #1, but as long as they're making money, I don't think the models really care.
I don't think that they pay much attention to this, neither do the models. As long as they get wrok and money, i don't think Freja, Lara and Anja really don't care who is 1-2 or 3. I can understand that if you work your *** off and are well known and not on the list like Coco you would think it's strainge but not the end of the world. But it's fun and interesting to discuss it with the people here.

Last edited by Forrest; 23-07-2011 at 03:35 AM.

23-07-2011
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochi Chernye View Post
Is this list a reflection of the most in demand models, the highest earning or a combination of both? I remember someone once saying that there are models doing catalogue work (e.g Barney's, Nordstrom) who earn more than the Top 50 combined. Is that possible?

Most In Demand High Fashion Models = Top 50

Icons = Models who have transcended the Top 50, in a class by themselves really.

Highest Earning Models = Money Girls

Currently there is no list on the site of top earning commercial-only models. Some girls really only do catalog work and that sort of thing and I'm sure they're rolling in the dough, but we don't have a list for it.

Do models care about the lists - You'd have to ask a model, some of them do, some of them don't. Some of them have no idea such a list even exists. I mean really that would depend on whether or not the girl is competitive and interested in being numero uno.

Who looks at the list - Besides model fans, list is intended for the use of casting directors, bookings editors and clients. Say you're booking a job for a brand and you really want to use a girl who is doing well. It is easy to glance at the top 50 and see a current rundown of girls who are doing big work and you can get a feel for what kind of work they're doing.

Are the lists scientific? No scientists harmed in the making of these lists. Certainly no algorithms either.

Last edited by Luxx; 23-07-2011 at 12:41 PM.

23-07-2011
V.I.P.

I think the Top 50 list makes sense for casting agents working on the high end commercial/beauty side of fashion. Let's say casting directors like L'Oreal's Jym Benzing or Janny Friedberg of H&M.... They hardly ever deal with models other than top talent so it definitely makes sense to sneak a peak at the list and check out the new entrants, if they're looking for fresh sought after models.

23-07-2011
backstage pass

Maybe Jamie has a beauty contract coming up, that's why she's so high on the list.

23-07-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post

Currently there is no list on the site of top earning commercial-only models. Some girls really only do catalog work and that sort of thing and I'm sure they're rolling in the dough, but we don't have a list for it.
It'd be interesting if MDC were to make one though. Forbes has one, but it seems like they only look at the very mainstream models.

26-07-2011
fashion elite

The top 50 women's list was updated today, but I don't see any changes. Can someone point them out?

27-07-2011
fashion insider

I think Arlenis Sosa was moved down?

28-07-2011
V.I.P.

and I think Trentini moved up... but I'm not sure..

28-07-2011
fashion insider

Hanaa Ben Abdesslem #34

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, modelscom, rankings