Models.com Top Rankings #3 - Page 51 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
02-11-2011
backstage pass

^ i was simply correcting the original poster, because whilst they may have just typed it wrong, there are some people who probably aren't aware of the difference between being a regular, and being on a contract. i don't think it means they will be successful in all other aspects of their career, i simply mean if all other things are equal, a contract would put a model at no.1 over the other. sorry if i didn't make that clear

also, i'm not saying that i think it should be a factor, or that it is any less impressive to book the same campaign season after season without a contract, i just mean that to MDC that is a point of difference. if freja had a 2 year chanel contract (pretend that chanel operate in this way), i personally think it would be viewed as a whole new league to MDC.

also, for another question: is booking a campaign for client A 4 seasons in a row with no contract any more impressive than booking campaigns for clients B C D and E each different season (if they are all of equal prestige)? i wonder how MDC view it? i don't have a personal view on which is more impressive to me, just curious..

Last edited by franki; 02-11-2011 at 09:00 AM.

02-11-2011
V.I.P.

MDC likes for the the #1 to have a contract because it guarentees them something big. If a model is winging it season by season, then they will never know what to expect. I mean, who would've expected Natasha to tank during the Spring 2010 campaigns? Before that, she was definitely in the running for the #1 spot, but she never got back to her glory days from 2008-2009. Does anyone actually think Freja will maintain her current level without Chanel? I see Freja possibly mirroring the same success of Natasha. I think MDC knows that if they put Freja at #1, she won't look very deserving a year from now. Joan & Karlie will probably bag more campaigns in the future than Freja will.

02-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee MG Tisci View Post
i agree with congacon and Riseup!
Freja is still the strongest option, not getting Chanel again doesn't mean that her career will go downhill.. it didn't happen to Sasha/Prada or Natasha/Gucci so probably it won't happen to her neither
Karlie is kinda stuck, she's regularly in US and UK Vogue but no covers and about campaigns she already lost DK, she's uncertain in Dior without Galliano (there was no F/W 11 and she wasn't in Cruise) and ODLR isn't really that major so i don't think she has a chance really

it's between Joan and Freja, the latter has the advantage of having a longer career and Joan is on the rise so she could be no.1 after Freja..

and here is something interesting i saw in nymag.com: What’s the Ultimate Job a Model Can Book These Days?
I disagree about Karlie.
She got just as good papers for the #1 then Freja and Joan have.
Karlie still got a Lola parfume contract by Marc Jacobs, features in a parfume and make up add for Dior, she is back in the cruise s/s 12 campaign for DK. Then again seen her history with other clients that booked her in the past, it's not that only on ODLR, Dior, DK booked her. So open chances for her.
At least Karlie has been a couple times OG in Dior and ODLR and more campaigns (hermes, Alexander McQueen Pringle), which can't be said from Joan.

Freja, it depends on what she gets. I really don't think she got any better papers now she lost Chanel. Sure she can get other blue chip campaigns, but last season it was only Chanel and Isabel Marant. She slowed down in campaigns and work every season. Then Freja doesn't have a big fat contract and only one fragance add which isn't even a contract.

You said the names Sasha and Nastasha that after they lost prada/gucci their careers didn't go downhill, i don't think Freja will go downhill either, but Sasha and Nastasha never made it #1. And I think that Freja will walk a simmilar path. Still doing great, but not the number 1.

Joan: Karlie doesn't have many covers but Joan has even less covers and was never the OG of campaign!!! But with a EL contract and a confirmed Chanel campaign, she is at least one of the 3 that we know is in the right direction atm.

Last edited by Forrest; 02-11-2011 at 10:32 AM.

02-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franki View Post
^ i was simply correcting the original poster, because whilst they may have just typed it wrong, there are some people who probably aren't aware of the difference between being a regular, and being on a contract. i don't think it means they will be successful in all other aspects of their career, i simply mean if all other things are equal, a contract would put a model at no.1 over the other. sorry if i didn't make that clear

also, i'm not saying that i think it should be a factor, or that it is any less impressive to book the same campaign season after season without a contract, i just mean that to MDC that is a point of difference. if freja had a 2 year chanel contract (pretend that chanel operate in this way), i personally think it would be viewed as a whole new league to MDC.
I hear you and agree with most of your points, I was just commenting on why it should not be the be all-end all, and to be honest I don't think that it has really been that way at MDC over the years, but it is being analyzed that way because it is the most tangible thing that distinguishes the current No. 1. I also see why they do it because, as I mentioned before, going with a contract model has predictive power, so in conclusion it is a safety thing.

It is really difficult to make sense of the list because of the contradictions like Valentina, who has a contract with Ralph Lauren, not being on the list. I don't mean this pejoratively, but I think that there are backroom politics involving agencies and perhaps certain brands that also influence the list.

Quote:
also, for another question: is booking a campaign for client A 4 seasons in a row with no contract any more impressive than booking campaigns for clients B C D and E each different season (if they are all of equal prestige)? i wonder how MDC view it? i don't have a personal view on which is more impressive to me, just curious..
I think that they will make the decision of who they want and then justify it on the back end. If they want the girl who books the same client over and over then being a muse and loyalty will be the spin, if it is the girl with the different clients, then industry support and chameleon qualities (if that applies) will be the spin.

Last edited by agee; 02-11-2011 at 10:40 AM.

02-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by congacon View Post
dude, dont count freja out yet. its pretty much an open race between anja, freja, joan and karlie. at this point we have to wait for the next season to take shape by then we can judge who should be on top.

at this moment freja still has the strongest resume for the top position. even freja has lost that chanel contract, still if she able to land on a few blue chip campaigns as only girl, she will definitely secures that top spot. she doesnt need to have a strongest campaign season out of all girl to secure that spot. all she needs is a decent one bc her previous works will be counted toward that number one ranking.
I don't think Natasha should be counted out yet either. You all keep making these lists as if the top five is going to drop off the planet in the next season and make way for all these relative new girls. In my opinion a model shouldn't be moved to the Icon list until she has been in the industry at a very high level. All the models currently in the Icons list have been modeling for at least 12-15 years. I don't really see where girls like Lara, Sasha, Natasha, Freja, or Anja could be moved there yet.

that said, with the stellar and very exclusive runway list that Natasha had this past season, if she can turn those into booking those major campaigns and more covers like in 2010, I think she could take the No. 1 spot. That is, if Lara's CK contract ends next season and she doesn't continue getting blue chip campaigns and covers herself.

Joan and Karlie, and these other models you have named are great and are definitely proving themselves, but I really don't see them as the next top spots any time soon.

02-11-2011
tfs star

sometimes the list is not really accurate. some of models on the list doesn't even deserve to be there.

Quote:
a few updates in the men's list

Casey Taylor debuted(?) at 39
Vladimir Ivanov is out
Sid Ellisdon moved from 39 to 42
Daisuke Ueda moved from 42 to 44
Zhao Lei moved from 44 to 45
casey taylor should have been there back in 2006 and 2007-2008. Hail to the king of runway!

Last edited by Rich10; 02-11-2011 at 11:36 AM.

02-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastical View Post
I don't think Natasha should be counted out yet either. You all keep making these lists as if the top five is going to drop off the planet in the next season and make way for all these relative new girls. In my opinion a model shouldn't be moved to the Icon list until she has been in the industry at a very high level. All the models currently in the Icons list have been modeling for at least 12-15 years. I don't really see where girls like Lara, Sasha, Natasha, Freja, or Anja could be moved there yet.

that said, with the stellar and very exclusive runway list that Natasha had this past season, if she can turn those into booking those major campaigns and more covers like in 2010, I think she could take the No. 1 spot. That is, if Lara's CK contract ends next season and she doesn't continue getting blue chip campaigns and covers herself.

Joan and Karlie, and these other models you have named are great and are definitely proving themselves, but I really don't see them as the next top spots any time soon.
That's not completly true. Sure it counts for the "older" generation like Kate, Stella etc. They are much longer in the industry, but how long where they on the models ranking before they got moved??
But certainly not for Daria (january 2004 began her big break), Natalia (febr.2003), Raquel (nov 2004). And even less if you think about that they are all at least two years in the icons list.

Lara (march 2005) and Natasha (may 2004), sure their big break became maybe later then the others, but others are also few years earlier removed to the icons.

The dates are when the thread at tfs are started. That usually is quite similar at the time they first walk etc.

02-11-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
^^ you think Iselin should be in the Top Icons?
Malgosia's career is much longer though, she's from Mariacarla's generation and Iselin is from Sasha's generation..
please someone correct me if i'm wrong!
No, I am not saying Iselin should be an icon...I just say these 2 ladies have similar situation now.

02-11-2011
V.I.P.

ETA: I correct myself for Raquel, app. she didn't have a thread until 2004, while she was walking in 2000/2001 already.
And then I come to a 10/11 years career with the last two years in the icons.
Also Natalia was in 2001 active. But then again, she was also a few years earlier removed, while Lara, Natasha a few years later got their break and still are in the top ranking.

Don't forget that all the models are also longer in the industry. Lara started modeling in 1999, but came in the picture in 2005.

But: what to think about to add Bregje Heinen to the sexy list? With Marloes Horst ofcourse?!

And what about Melissa T in the models ranking?!?

Last edited by Forrest; 02-11-2011 at 01:30 PM.

02-11-2011
V.I.P.

one of the biggest question i have for this list are this!

how in the World in Maryna L. not in the SEXY LIST?

how is Jon K. not in the Icon List?

n baptise is what is a WTF question

then u know,the regular WTF questions. Miranda,Jamie.

Maryna,Frida,Magda. i think should be rank higher.
(sure they never had a Freja,Natasha,Sasha Momentbut have been around for decent time n always getting decent work.
also maybe Lindsay should b a lil higher.

i feel maryna n magda should pair next to models like Kasia,daria. well magda kind it is but Maryna is way too low!
n im afraid they would do the same to Frida n never giver her the spot she deserve

02-11-2011
V.I.P.

ok just did a quick look at the sexiest models list.

n adriana has been in #1 for how long?

than is Giselle,Rosie,Miranda n Brookley.

i think the next #1 is/will be Candice

i mean if she is really becoming the #1 angel n replacing Adriana at VS.is just common her sence her getting the #1.right?

it has always been the main angel the one that gets that spot. (heidi,adriana)
i think when adrian gets remove,they will also take out,Giselle,Rosie,brooklyn(?) n alessandra.

so that will only leave,Doutzen,Miranda,n candice for the run to get the # 1 spot.

i will died if Lindsay,erin,lili get #1

i think few models that will be add to that list if they play their cards right will be
Joan,karlie yes them again
magda,constance,karmen(maybe)

02-11-2011
V.I.P.

I swear I'm not trying to play the race card, but I think it will be very hard for Joan to land bluechip OG campaigns. The overall demographic for big brands like Dior, Chanel & Versace are mainly middle aged white women (with a steady increase in Asian women). All I'm saying is that big brands are risking a lot by putting a black girl in their campaign to run for 6 months. There have been multiple studies that have shown that consumers subconsciously buy products that feature people of their race in campaigns & commercials. As someone of color myself, I would love for Joan to be in several OG campaigns, but in today's economy, companies would have a hard time depending on a girl of color to promote all their products. I think in Joan's case, 2 MG campaigns should equal 1 OG campaign. Its only fair, considering that Freja & Karlie are white with more oppurtunity.

02-11-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valliaddict View Post
I swear I'm not trying to play the race card, but I think it will be very hard for Joan to land bluechip OG campaigns. The overall demographic for big brands like Dior, Chanel & Versace are mainly middle aged white women (with a steady increase in Asian women). All I'm saying is that big brands are risking a lot by putting a black girl in their campaign to run for 6 months. There have been multiple studies that have shown that consumers subconsciously buy products that feature people of their race in campaigns & commercials. As someone of color myself, I would love for Joan to be in several OG campaigns, but in today's economy, companies would have a hard time depending on a girl of color to promote all their products. I think in Joan's case, 2 MG campaigns should equal 1 OG campaign. Its only fair, considering that Freja & Karlie are white with more oppurtunity.
im sure asian customers made up more than 50% of luxury brand customer base. japan is the biggest luxury market in the world. it used to consumed more than 50% of luxury products in the world. this stat has been changed but it still remains the biggest market for luxury goods. china luxury market is huge too just behind japan and us. and we also have korea which also has a big market for luxury goods.

anyway, i have to agree with you that it will be hard for coloured models to front only girl blue chip campaign. im sure that day will come but it is just a matter of time.

asian guys have fronted lv and giorgio armani campaigns. so i hope coloured models will be able to do so soon. well, we can at least pressure these houses to change their marketing strategies.

02-11-2011
V.I.P.

Candice has moved up to number 18 on models.com

02-11-2011
fashion insider

^ this was the whole update!
pretty reasonable although i think Lindsey and Hanaa moved up too many places, hope it means they have something big coming

anna selezneva - from 12 to 19
iris strubegger - from 12 to 19
jourdan dunn - from 13 to 12
saskia de brauw - from 13 to 11
kasia struss - from 14 to 17
daphne groeneveld - from 15 to 13
lindsey wixson - from 16 to 12
edita vilkeviciute - from 18 to 20
fei fei sun - from 19 to 14
zuzanna bijoch - from 19 to 15
candice swanepoel - from 20 to 18
aymeline valade - from 30 to 23