How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelineo View Post
Karlie Kloss = 13

Vogue Italia x2
Teen Vogue x2
Vogue China x3
Vogue Girl x3
Vogue Korea x1
Vogue Turkey x1
Vogue Portugal x1
Karlie Kloss = 14

Vogue Italia x2
Teen Vogue x2
Vogue China x3
Vogue Girl x3
Vogue Korea
Vogue Turkey
Vogue Portugal
Vogue Germany

14-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Style Savvy View Post
Joan Smalls - 0
Does she still not have one?? How can people think she will be #1 on the Models.com ranking when Karlie already has 14 Vogue covers now and Joan doesn't have a single one?

14-11-2011
fashion elite

I thought Teen Vogue and Vogue Girl did not count.

14-11-2011
V.I.P.

I'm iffy on Vogue Girl, but Teen Vogue should count imo. It is more prestigious than some of the smaller Vogues. It is more difficult to land a cover.

15-11-2011
V.I.P.

Teen Vogue and Vogue Girl should not count whatsoever. these lists are for models with actual Vogue covers, which would mean that Karlie has 9, which is still impressive.

and as for Joan, she's got the Vogue world weighted against her because of the color of her skin.

I'm reposting my comment because it still applies for this generation of models.
the only other black model I can think of who defied all odds and has many major Vogue covers is Liya Kebede.
which is why I think Joan's agency is trying to make her the next Liya and model Joan's career similar to Liya's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastical View Post
I know they may not have high numbers, but I think something should be said for the black models with Vogue covers
(particularly because of how hard it is for them to get an editorial but especially on a cover)

Chanel Iman
Sessilee Lopez
Jourdan Dunn
Arlenis Sosa
Rose Cordero
Emanuela de Paula
Gracie Carvalho

even though these models I think have only had ONE cover each (maybe more), but I still think that is a huge accomplishment
obvs Naomi and Tyra have had more, but I was thinking of more current models.

15-11-2011
front row

I still can't beleive that in 2011 vogue editors won't give a cover to model because of the colour of her skinsad really sad!
The only editor who did it was Carine Roitfeld flawless woman tbh

15-11-2011
V.I.P.

How is Teen Vogue not considered the same as say Vogue Portugal or Vogue Mexico? They have a high subscription rate and have model covers?

15-11-2011
V.I.P.

teen vogue,yes.imo is even better than other editions of vogue. and model getting a cover is BIG!

now for Vogue girl? what is that ?

15-11-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonsoJonathan View Post
teen vogue,yes.imo is even better than other editions of vogue. and model getting a cover is BIG!

now for Vogue girl? what is that ?
well the thing is teen vogue represents a different market they target teen girls. so models on covers are young so it doesnt represent a fair playground for all models. what is the chance of models who are over 23 be on the cover of teen vogue? zero. so teen vogue doesnt count.

15-11-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertNoir View Post
Inguna Butane: Vogue Germany July 2006
nymag.com
nymag is not the most reliable source - their information is not full enough :p
Inguna also was on the cover of Vogue Portugal December 2005

15-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by congacon View Post
well the thing is teen vogue represents a different market they target teen girls. so models on covers are young so it doesnt represent a fair playground for all models. what is the chance of models who are over 23 be on the cover of teen vogue? zero. so teen vogue doesnt count.
In your opinion. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. :p

17-11-2011
fashion icon

Joan not having a single Vogue cover by now is blatant disrespect from the fashion industry, imo. Their basically saying she is good enough to be in their magazine 100 times, but she can't be on their cover because she is black. I don't like to pull the race card, but I call it like I see it. SMH.

17-11-2011
backstage pass

Wow this is the first time i'm going through this thread and found it really interesting.

I can now fully appreciate why Naomi is referred to as an icon in the industry. While models of color don't get the opportunity to be on covers, she has over 50 of them and counting.

Someone asked about Tyra, and I genuinely believe that the timing was wrong for her. She was part of that high fashion world when it could only be either or for models of color and clearly Naomi has already won favor with the editors. I remember watching that documentary of Christy and the other supers called "When Supermodels Ruled the World" and Tyra could be seen in many clips on the runways along side christy, naomi, linda and the others but I don't think she stayed in the high fashion game long enough and now... well let's just say the woman is coocoo, although a very influential, powerful, and certainly very wealthy business woman.

It saddens me to no end that in this time, we're in 2011, and models of color still have such a hard time in the industry and not being used. The industry is telling an entire race that they're not beautiful. The effects of that on the self esteem of little black girls growing up... I don't even want to think about it. I once heard a little girl who couldn't be older than 7 tell her mom she wants to look like a little white girl in a magazine because the girl was pretty. That's the message being sent out to the world, white people are pretty so that's who's going to be used... I won't deny that it has gotten and hopefully will continue to get better.

Joan, sadly, I don't know what more she can do. Any other white model who had already landed a huge beauty contract, multiple seasons in major ad campaigns, done commercial work etc would have had several Vogue covers under their belts. Not one editor finds it necessary to put her on one.

Franca, Anna et al can say whatever they want but if they really wanted to create change then they would have featured black models more on their covers. They have the voice and they have the influence to change the perception of the masses. At least some of them anyway. Franca though has been doing a lot more and I can see it happening gradually. Anna...

And this concludes my essay... I hope for change really soon so that NO ONE should feel less than. It breaks my heart

17-11-2011
fashion elite

^Wintour has done more than ANY editor when it comes to diversity. We have to remember that US Vogue covers almost exclusively feature celebs, but atleast they are somewhat diverse. Editorially her magazine is THE most diverse. So, I think she is making an effort.

I agree with valliaddict. Joan deserved an og vogue cover a year ago. Now it's just getting ridiculous. The same could be said for Jourdan, and to a lesser extent Chanel.

17-11-2011
backstage pass

^ they appear in editorials in US Vogue but not covers! Sometimes the cover features some very questionable "celebrities" and i can think of many black girls who could have been on the cover who are also very interested in fashion. Zoe Saldana being one of them, Kelly Rowland, and I dare to say Niki Minaj. If she could put Gaga ( I know I know it's Gaga) then Minaj could be on there as well... just my thoughts.

Anyway i'm not saying that they're doing absolutely nothing, I just believe that more could be done to change the perception. But again, all just my opinion

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, covers, models, number, vogue