How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-03-2015
V.I.P.

Models and social media
I have seen this topic in a bunch of magazines I thought it deserved a thread here.

Since social media has boomed in the last couple of years, especially instagram, it seems that it has become an integral part of every models personal "brand".
Mikas for instance has links to their models instagram accounts on the first page of their digital portfolios right underneath their body stats.
I read one especially interesting interview with Elsa Hosk in Plaza around a year ago on the subject, which also had her and headlines of the article on the cover. She stated that Instagram is now a part of her career and she treats it as such, and that a model can get or lose a job based on the numbers of followers she has.

Looking for instance at Anna Grostina, who has hundreds of thousands of followers before she started modelling and has booked basically only top jobs. And I also think the millions of people following Kendall and Cara has something to do with the fact that they are everywhere.

So, what do you guys think of this? How important is Instagram and other social media now?

16-03-2015
Mr. Zhivago

I was thinking about doing a thread like this! I hate how actors and models are almost required (unless you're already at the top) to "brand" themselves, to curate their life for strangers to look at. I really resent it!

One thing a lack of social media visibility offers is mystery. For instance Malgosia, Guinevere, and Julia Nobis all remain private, and it makes them more appealing to me because they appear to not care about presenting and curating their private life for the masses. Judge me by my modeling work, not a picture of me on the beach or making a stupid "shocked" face.

17-03-2015
front row

I agree with t-rex, judge their work not their private life. I feel like social media can bring out the worst in people, especially twitter and instagram. It also allows for the popularization of some mediocre models, because for some reason they get a lot of followers. I don't like the instagram model trend, and I hate that it's becoming a requirement for models. If a girl comes out of nowhere how will she all of a sudden get a ton of followers without getting some major jobs? But if she doesn't have a lot of followers she won't get major jobs, so she won't be able to become popular and get followers. It can create a catch 22

24-06-2015
Mr. Zhivago

Interview with casting director Jennifer Starr on social media and models:

Quote:
Almost more than half of the jobs I get asked to cast, they’re asking what a model’s Instagram following is, and I’m casting based on—but not solely—their Instagram following. It’s sort of crazy that in 2015 an Instagram following has become a standard of beauty. So the game has changed. Instagram is definitely a game-changer, and I think that you have to get on board with it. I want there to be a backlash, but I don’t think it will happen because I think it’s a tremendous opportunity to cross-brand.
http://intothegloss.com/2015/06/jennifer-starr/

24-06-2015
fashion elite

^ That sounds rather unfortunate, how their social media has become a "criteria" for a girl nowadays. Instagram is a good platform but in my opinion it shouldn't fall heavy on the model shoulders. They should be booked on the bases of meeting the clients needs for the job rather than "regraming" a picture after they walked the show and getting thousands of likes. I wonder if increasing notoriety and sales is the goal? Instagram is fun but I would hate for a model who misses out because she has one less follower or doesn't bother with it at all. Its working for Julia Nobis.

25-06-2015
windowshopping

I think Models on Social Media with a lot of followers are very marketable. If I am a designer, I would consider getting a model with a lot social media fans so my creations will reach a lot of people. Though, I think it should not be the only (or most important) criteria for casting someone.

25-06-2015
V.I.P.

Just the other day I was going through girls' profiles on DNA Model Management site and there was a link to every model's instagram just next to the stats/comp card/portfolio page. Kinda funny.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
media, models, social