How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

29-04-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashunviktim View Post
i guess that it my point. same as agee. she has been with them a long time and they have done what they can do with her. if she wants to leave and try to go to another place or level, she should be able to. pay the money to dna, but they should be gracious.
Well...she is able too
all contract can be stoped, in any jobs, but there is in every contract details about how to stop them.
when you sign contract, you are aware of these details, so you can not complain after if you are put in court because you don't respect what you agreed to respect in signing the contract.

And i talk here in general, as of course no one here know in details this particuar case.

but in my experiences all these case are more or less the same, an agency wants to poach the girl and promise her good money deal if she leaves her agency.
the girl say "but i have a contract with them"
and the agency say, "no problem, they will probably shut up and if they dont we will pay you lawyers, just send them an email u leave them"

Problem...court is not exactly a pleasant experience for anyone, and in most case...the girl is not very aware of the troubles it will bring her as her new agency has told her "it will be no problem".

there is a lot of naivety in some comments (not your in particular ) but the girl in such case is just an object, her "wish" to leave is suggested to her, usually in putting her a big cheque in front of her nose, there is usually nothing like a natural motivation to change , it is just about money, and nobody should approve that, caus not all agencies are equal about that.

i mean there are agencies who makes money with modeling and who must do with what they earn in it, and agencies who dont care about TO LOOSE money in modeling as they have millions of dirtly money arriving when they need by their money backer
and the poacher being usually from the second category, it is a way of doing business which just tends to make the whole business dirty...

29-04-2011
rising star

i see your point fritomayo. i guess i think when people want to leave a contract, its usually best if they just agree to a mutual parting. like a divorce. when someone doesnt want to be together, pay what is fair, divide up the property, but move on. no one wants to be forced into anything and bitterness can be ugly.

i see what you mean about the contracts though. we do not no the whole story and it might be uglyer than i think it is.

29-04-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
"she sent DNA an e-mail saying she was thinking of leaving. Immediately thereafter, DNA received an e-mail from a representative of Ford following up on the model's request that DNA pass any bookings or options to him."
CUT THROAT
I literally lol'd when I read this. The sheer audacity of leaving your agency this way was pure diva.

29-04-2011
fashion elite

I hope DNA is getting their money!!!

29-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashunviktim View Post
if i a model wants to leave, as an agent, i would want them to go too. a agent and model relationship has to be meutual if it will have success. you cannot have one side happy and the other not happy. DNA should let her go. its sad to be in court and bad for the image. not gracioius
it doesnt make sense though that she wasnt happy. She was making a ton of money with them, and unless she wants to slow down and do just editorial work or become the face of a Beauty brand (Lancome, Rimmel, etc.) which DNA could have easily gotten for her, then why switch. No one on Ford's main board has achieved what Maryna has high fashion and commercial wise except maybe Anna J. they did so much for her since the start

29-04-2011
V.I.P.

What makes it so attractive to switch to Ford? I see plenty of more successful models who started out along the first "new" Ford generation at Next, IMG, DNA and Marilyn.
Karmen Ps recent success is no argument, Next booked her two big campaigns shortly before she left them and Valerija Kelava for instance has done a good deal better with Next.

29-04-2011
V.I.P.

From the outside looking in, I get why Maryna left DNA, while she may have been making money, she has been pretty much treading water for the past couple of years, although in fairness with the constant influx of new faces, it does take some effort to even tread water.* It is less obvious to me why she went to Ford, I am not saying that it is the wrong move, it is just not obvious. My hope is that Ford is hungry, and based on some of their recent activity that may be the case, and presumably they are well-resourced, so it will be interesting to see what doors they open for her.

* For the record I don't automatically see the agency as the culprit, it is conceivable to me that both the model and agent bear responsibility for a treading water situation.

Last edited by agee; 29-04-2011 at 07:20 PM.

29-04-2011
V.I.P.

Wow, I bet Maryna was not expecting any of this at all. I hope her career doesn't suffer because of this, but I am really curious because I think it will have an effect on her career. My guess is that it probably won't end up being a good move for her, but I hope I'm wrong.

02-05-2011
tfs star

Still reeling at the Cat to Ford choice. I get that she would prefer to be an edgy girl instead of the glamazon Next developed her into but honestly im not impressed with Ford lately and their business tactics. Makes them look sleazy.

05-05-2011
fashion icon

Irina Shayk IMG NY -> ELITE+ -> MARILYN NY

05-05-2011
scenester

Kinga IMG UK to Elite Uk

06-05-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimoe View Post
Kinga IMG UK to Elite Uk
According to Elite's blog, Kamila Filipcikova switched as well.

06-05-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
it doesnt make sense though that she wasnt happy. She was making a ton of money with them, and unless she wants to slow down and do just editorial work or become the face of a Beauty brand (Lancome, Rimmel, etc.) which DNA could have easily gotten for her, then why switch. No one on Ford's main board has achieved what Maryna has high fashion and commercial wise except maybe Anna J. they did so much for her since the start
Is it so hard to believe that there is something you don't know about this situation that explains why she might want to leave? Clearly we don't have all the details and can't determine whether or not it "makes sense."

06-05-2011
V.I.P.

Bambi Northwood-Blyth
Elite NY -> Ford NY

06-05-2011
rising star

^ whaaaaaat is going on at Ford? Apparently there's a party there and I wasn't invited. :p

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2013, agencies, february, models, november, switching