How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

22-11-2010
V.I.P.

Girlfriend is organised/judged by Chic.... so by default the girl who wins, will have the opportunity to be signed by Next. Interesting that they changed it to a meeting with Next rather than a 2 year contract or whatever it had always been. Guess they weren't too happy with the last couple of winners.

22-11-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamhutt View Post
^ yeah that sounds reasonable but as others have said the mother agents don't seem too keen to work with Next. The few mother agencies they do have on board appear to have an exclusive agreement. I think Next are trying to strengthen this area, for example, there are a few non-Next organised model searches where the winner gets a contract/meeting with them (e.g. Girlfriend Model Search, Artistry Model Search, TCI Contest, New Zealand's Next Top Model etc.)
That's exactly that.
In most countries Next has one exclusiv patner, the deal works in both way, if a mother agent gives first option to Next they expect that Next will not visit too much other mother agencies in the country where they are exclusiv.

So let's take Poland, if IMG send a scout to Poland, he will visit maybe between 10 or 15 agencies, some very small, but sometimes, it is possible to see a top girl in a very small structur so basically IMG has the politic to visit almost anyone.
at the same time in Poland, NEXT will work with 2-3 agencies, no more, so...at the end obviously one agency has much more chance to scout more good girls than the other...

It's pitty caus in the 90's Next was actually rather in advance and very dynamic in scouting system. but the problem started quickly, as at that time, they were the first to propose big advance contract to the mother agencies, which sounded very attractiv.

Of course some girls did not work as expected, which means Next started to cheat about paying the promised commissions to the MA and some MA started to stop to work with them for that.

So they got into a vicious circle, their mother agency exclusiv deals just dont provide them enough new girls to keep a board of their rank, so they poach.
I will not give details here, but basically they use the same way to poach girls than what they did to attract MA in the 90's, proposition of advance money paid directly to the girl (and request of her breaking her MA contract..) and big promises, of course not always kept...

22-11-2010
V.I.P.

Elsa Sylvan: DNA -> One NY

22-11-2010
loves Ben :)

^ Ugh...really????? Doesn't seem like a smart move to me...

Another girl leaving DNA...
Milana Keller: DNA NY ---> Marilyn NY

Last edited by modelfanamber; 22-11-2010 at 11:32 AM.

22-11-2010
fashion elite

Well Milana left a while ago , but why go to One NY of all the choices you have. DNA does have alot of random girls on their board , that i rather see leaving.

Tara Gill has left Viva aswell.

22-11-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
Girlfriend is organised/judged by Chic.... so by default the girl who wins, will have the opportunity to be signed by Next.Interesting that they changed it to a meeting with Next rather than a 2 year contract or whatever it had always been. Guess they weren't too happy with the last couple of winners.
Yeah, I should have clarified Chic's involvement with the Girlfriend Model Search (and NZNTM), this fact further emphasises Next's strong relationship with Chic. I think in these model searches, a prize of an 'all expenses paid trip to New York to meet with Next Model Management' is more about attracting more contestants/media attention rather than Next finding a new star, because as Bianca said the girl will get an opportunity to be signed anyway (as the GF Model Search is a Chic organised competition). NZNTM is similar too, the host is the owner of 62 Models, who seem to have a good relationship with Chic, thus the prize including a trip to meet with Chic in Sydney and also Next in NY.

Sorry if this discussion is in the wrong thread, maybe it should be in the model agency mega thread ?

22-11-2010
backstage pass

One Management, I think, is only good if you're like already super big like Claudia and Eva.

And I can't shake off the feeling of something I read before, About a model saying that "Russell Marsh knows who I am, but unless something drastic changes, I don't think I'm getting the bigger jobs." I think it could be Elsa. She'd always struck me as that one girl who worked with everybody, got a bit of hype, who casting directors know, but are not booking.

23-11-2010
V.I.P.

Hmm... strange move from Elsa. But as it seems like she isn't that much into modelling anymore, it doesn't surprise me that much tbh.

23-11-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash92 View Post

And I can't shake off the feeling of something I read before, About a model saying that "Russell Marsh knows who I am, but unless something drastic changes, I don't think I'm getting the bigger jobs." I think it could be Elsa. She'd always struck me as that one girl who worked with everybody, got a bit of hype, who casting directors know, but are not booking.
The statement just show that a lot of models dont have deep understanding of the business they are in.
Marsh and the like's have very big power in show castings, but the more higher and more picky the jobs are, the less power those casting director have...

I mean if Marsh loves a girl, he can easily books her a great show season, but when show season is over, he is not powerfull enough neither in many editorial or campaigns to really make succeed a girl on his own

AD of each brand, Fashion editors, and few photographers are more the real career makers.

23-11-2010
fashion elite

Tsanna Latouche: Marilyn NY ---> IMG NY

23-11-2010
trendsetter

Is Paul Rowland still the owner of Women management? I knew he quit Supreme, but not sure about Women.

23-11-2010
backstage pass

No, Paul Rowland owns nothing. He is an employee of Ford Models.

24-11-2010
fashion icon

I guess this is relevant to this thread since it concerns the three who switched from Next to Ford, but anyway the drama continues....

Three Models Suing Next for Stolen Wages

24-11-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmayo View Post
The statement just show that a lot of models dont have deep understanding of the business they are in.
Marsh and the like's have very big power in show castings, but the more higher and more picky the jobs are, the less power those casting director have...
I think that's one point. Another one I could think of is that a lot of models depend on runway jobs rather than editorial jobs for income. I read from Kamila F's thread that most of the models that have families to support back home actually value runway jobs more because the wage is more direct, and they could bring the money back home much quickly. This is compared to editorials where they have to wait for the magazines to advance the money to agencies and that could take a long time. So, I guess a lot of the models have a short-term approach to modeling, where they view it as a quick way to earn money, and thus that's why they feel that the casting directors hold a lot of power. But of course, on the long run, it's so much more pivotal to be on the good books of editors and photographers and everyone in between.

24-11-2010
tfs star

^^^?? why do people comment on topics they clearly don't have any knowledge of , it's not really helpful

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2013, agencies, february, models, november, switching