How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

31-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab348 View Post
Any guesses why she would leave her mother agency? They always seemed so close.

Well, at a certain point of a model's career a motheragency is irrelevant for the model's career progression. Especially with boutique agencies it's the problem that the models will not have any financial benefit from if once they start to work very well abroad.... Because so many boutique agencies don't book, still charge mother agency comission and are not relevant for the model's management anymore. So it's more of a cost factor than true help or source of money.
Karlie is a complete other level though, I can't imagine that a girl of her level would pay a lot of motheragency comission, if she does at all.

31-08-2012
backstage pass

I also think with mother models it was more about prestige than money, I mean Karlie dominated their website / blog / twitter etc. They were sort of selling themselves on being the agency who discovered the next huge american model

31-08-2012
backstage pass

Rumor was that Elite offered Karlie and her family a lot of money to entice her from Elite. Would be really interesting to know what IMG offered. IMG has lost a number of its big-name girls, i.e. Hilary, Julie Stegner, Angela Lindvall, but this makes up for all of those losses.

31-08-2012
trendsetter

I understand they aren't relevant for bookings but the mother agent commission does not come out of the model's money so why not keep them if you are close to them? and to be fair Mother Agency did discover Karlie and tout themselves as like parents to their girls so why shouldn't they get to dominate their website with and get their 10%?

31-08-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by woemwoem View Post
IMG has lost a number of its big-name girls, i.e. Hilary, Julie Stegner, Angela Lindvall, but this makes up for all of those losses.
I'm sure they didn't lose much sleep over that, after all, they still have arguably the highest profile girls (Joan, Lara, Kate, Candice etc)

31-08-2012
front row

Is it worth it for karlie to switch over to IMG? The only thing she is lacking is a long term contract and Blue chip campaigns again. Would switching over to IMG actually change that?

31-08-2012
backstage pass

^^IMG has a better record of landing big contracts, especially beauty contracts for its girls than Next, and they have more leverage in building their girls into brands, as much as that's possible with models these days.
And yes, losing Hilary, Julia S, Angela L. was not major for IMG in the context of the rest of the girls on its roster, especially since those three aren't really on the ascent in their careers.

31-08-2012
front row

^ That's true, but its hard to imagine IMG being able to get Karlie campaigns and contracts that Next was not able to. Its not like Karlie is a new model. Could this be the "Game Changer" Karlie mentioned last season? We all thought it was a VS contract, but could switching agencies have been what Karlie was referencing?

31-08-2012
backstage pass

^ It would make sense timing wise. Karlie skipped show season to prep for heading over to IMG, I have a suspicion that's what's happening right now with Daphne G - She's apparently no longer doing NYFW, and we know IMG wants her.

I think the prestige of being with the "#1 agency" has a lot of appeal to a model. I also agree with woemwoem about IMG's ability to build their girls into a brand. I think Karlie's at that level where she's up in the ranks of Lara & Joan, so naturally she'd want to be alongside them agency wise.

01-09-2012
trendsetter

I don't understand why skipping a season 6 months ago "preps" her for changing agencies? Does one not want the buzz or possible campaign so one skips walking?

01-09-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab348 View Post
I understand they aren't relevant for bookings but the mother agent commission does not come out of the model's money so why not keep them if you are close to them? and to be fair Mother Agency did discover Karlie and tout themselves as like parents to their girls so why shouldn't they get to dominate their website with and get their 10%?
there is a lot of different way to see the mother agent role, and of course also like for main agencies, there are also many different level of mother agents...

A girl close to her mother agent can go as close to to have even her own money manage by them even if she becomes very big. There are few exemple like that in the top girls, who will not decide anything serious without talk with their mother agent if for huge contracts. For these ones, they will always be happy to have amopther agent, as they feel they "need" it, and feel more confortable in working that way.

It is of course not the case for all the girls, some other girls will sometimes find somebody in an agency abroad that they will feel more confortable to talk and to decide with, and will choose soon or late to leave the mother agent.
Unfortunatly, no need to say that it is sometimes "risky" as 99% of girls have no knowledgement to realise deeply all the liitle details running the money deals.
in a lot of case, girls who leave mother agent too early, actualy loose more money than to win any, as if nobody is there verify everything, the agency abroad will always do a bit how they want, and of coyrse will keep more money than the girl think without her to notice anything.

Back to the topic, let's be serious, any Next girl who can join IMG just shoukd it.
more reliable people, more trustfull, more powerfull at world level.

01-09-2012
backstage pass

An agent at NEXT just posted this on instagram with the caption "it's show time", Karlie's card is still there...

my snap via instagram/secretagent212

02-09-2012
V.I.P.

I can't find Asia Piwka and Alex Yuryeva anywhere :/ Seem they left Ford and Silent does anyone know if they have new agencies in NY?

02-09-2012
V.I.P.

only a matter of time before news got out

02-09-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmayo View Post
Unfortunatly, no need to say that it is sometimes "risky" as 99% of girls have no knowledgement to realise deeply all the liitle details running the money deals.
in a lot of case, girls who leave mother agent too early, actualy loose more money than to win any, as if nobody is there verify everything, the agency abroad will always do a bit how they want, and of coyrse will keep more money than the girl think without her to notice anything.
You're right - a good mother agency will know all the accounting tricks of the agency abroad and will protect their model from them -
generally speaking, they profit only when she does.
The situation can become more complicated though, when a mother agency has placed several girls with the agency.

Last edited by bothsidesnow; 02-09-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2013, agencies, february, models, november, switching