How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak View Post
So I wonder what IMG plans on doing for Ali's career. They seem to have a lot of 'filler' models on their roster at IMG. A lot of those girls hardly work. Kinee Diouf was at NY Mgmt and everybody thought she was gonna be a big editorial proposition. But nothing, even after her transfer to IMG. What's the point??
I agree. When the girl herself isn't working anymore, I doubt a management could change it.

31-10-2012
backstage pass

Are we sure though? Sure, there are a lot of fillers but maybe IMG has a plan for her. Maybe they have a vision, will re-ignite her career, bring out the red carpet and present her as a star. It's what they should do, it's what they could do.

31-10-2012
V.I.P.

Agency changes don't necessarily need to apply to a high fashion career but money jobs. That's always a good reason to switch.

31-10-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax80 View Post
Agency changes don't necessarily need to apply to a high fashion career but money jobs. That's always a good reason to switch.
IMG has been phenomenal at breathing life into the careers of girls who did absolutely nothing at their prior agencies (i.e. Joan Smalls, Lara, Daria, etc) but trying to revive a girl who was once successful but whose career is decelerating is a different matter. Chanel Iman has not exactly thrived with IMG. The same can be said about Lily Donaldson.
In any case, it appears IMG and Women are in full poaching mode, grabbing girls from other agencies.

31-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woemwoem View Post
IMG has been phenomenal at breathing life into the careers of girls who did absolutely nothing at their prior agencies (i.e. Joan Smalls, Lara, Daria, etc) but trying to revive a girl who was once successful but whose career is decelerating is a different matter. Chanel Iman has not exactly thrived with IMG. The same can be said about Lily Donaldson.
In any case, it appears IMG and Women are in full poaching mode, grabbing girls from other agencies.
I do agree. I just meant that an agency switch is not always a career move indicating a move into more high fashion. IMG provides connections into other sides of the entertainment industry, as well, giving a model a chance to be more than a model. At the same time, they do provide the "money jobs" that keeps the girls afloat in the meantime.

Chanel Iman's switch into IMG (and Karlie's for that case) was much more strategic for her future career than a move into furthering on herself in high fashion. A household name is a status lots of modern supermodels crave for.

01-11-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by woemwoem View Post
but trying to revive a girl who was once successful but whose career is decelerating is a different matter. Chanel Iman has not exactly thrived with IMG. The same can be said about Lily Donaldson.

I deeply disagree with the "poaching" word in these cases.
There is a good reason why some girls fidn IMG a better place to "turn" a carreer, it is that more than any other agencies they actualy have contacts and clients for girls in that situation. Their point is not to really "revive" their carreer is the usual fashion jobs, it is more to try to find the right contract for the girls in that typical situation, mayne less trendy jobs, but longer tems money contract etc...
So u dont realy poach girls like that, it is just that most agencies just can not make these girls works anymore and are actualy not very qualified to make turn the girl in another direction than pure fashion, IMG of course dont always succeed, but more than other agencies, they have the people to try to propose other things to girls.
So yes as you say it is "different" matter, but just a very very few agency can try do it with some chance of success.

It is actuaky very veray easy to ake the girls work when there is still hype around her, but most agencies are just not interested to find B plan when hype is over.

01-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax80 View Post
I do agree. I just meant that an agency switch is not always a career move indicating a move into more high fashion. IMG provides connections into other sides of the entertainment industry, as well, giving a model a chance to be more than a model. At the same time, they do provide the "money jobs" that keeps the girls afloat in the meantime.

Chanel Iman's switch into IMG (and Karlie's for that case) was much more strategic for her future career than a move into furthering on herself in high fashion. A household name is a status lots of modern supermodels crave for.
Out of genuine curiosity what does Chanel do these days? I never hear anything about her. She got dropped from VS right?

30-11-2012
windowshopping

Paul fired at ford ?

30-11-2012
V.I.P.

Karmen Pedaru: Ford NY -> IMG NY

30-11-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlindo View Post
Paul fired at ford ?
I don't think so, I believe a few agents left though... I'm curious as to what's going on there. Definitely not looking so hot for Paul's Ford right now. Anyone know anything else on this??

30-11-2012
trendsetter

It's official. Rowland is out.

30-11-2012
front row

Cailin Hill tweeted me and said she left Ford a few weeks ago. Current NY agency ?

30-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab348 View Post
It's official. Rowland is out.
wow really? whats is going to happen to all of his girls that are left

30-11-2012
backstage pass

Complete disarray at Ford. This explains all the recent defections. I've defended Rowland in the past but it was becoming very clear that he was/is more interested in his art projects that in managing his models. I mean what in the world is the Ford Project thing on Ford's website? It has absolutely nothing to do with the agency and the models.
For had a number of promising new girls break during the S/S 13 shows. What will happen to them now?
I think his example as well as Louie C at Elite show is that one or even a few star bookers/agents at an agency aren't all that's needed to become a great agency any more. You really need a global network of agencies that can scout girls everywhere and establish relationships with clients in Europe and increasingly Asia. That's why IMG, Women, and Next are the top three agencies.

Last edited by woemwoem; 30-11-2012 at 09:32 PM.

01-12-2012
V.I.P.

According to mdc Thairine switched agencies - Ford NY to Next NY, Paris and London.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2013, agencies, february, models, november, switching