How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-04-2013
fashion icon

I know Miranda's height has been discussed before her but it really sticks out in these videos!

11-04-2013
fashion insider

Arthur Gosse isn't tall either, Joseph Ferns and Carlos Peters are much shorter than most models also

18-04-2013
front row

A while back I read an interesting article about how others can misjudge height based on the size and shape of a persons head. They took two women who were both 5'9 and had similar proportions. One of the women had a larger, rounder head while the other women had a more longer narrow head. When asked who was taller 100% percent of people said the women with the smaller head. Although they were both the exact same height! That may be why people think ginta, fei fei, xioa wen are short lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by intern22; 18-04-2013 at 12:34 AM.
18-04-2013
front row

intern22, very interesting. I can definitely see that and how other proportions may play a role. Even things like forehead size, cranial length, torso length, neck length and shoulder shape (sloped, high etc) can make two people who are the same height appear different. Or even make a tall person look shorter I guess.

I've never heard anyone saying Fei Fei is short though...maybe it's because she's Chinese (people thinking "Asians are shorter" stereotype). She always looked really tall to me and I know she's quite tall (almost 5'11") when she's next to other models.

Ginta is 5'9" on the dot though even though Women says she's 5'10". Xiao Wen is also around 5'9"..I noticed she is shorter than Ming Xi and Yumi.

Last edited by theBlueRider; 18-04-2013 at 12:59 AM.
18-04-2013
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by intern22 View Post
A while back I read an interesting article about how others can misjudge height based on the size and shape of a persons head. They took two women who were both 5'9 and had similar proportions. One of the women had a larger, rounder head while the other women had a more longer narrow head. When asked who was taller 100% percent of people said the women with the smaller head. Although they were both the exact same height! That may be why people think ginta, fei fei, xioa wen are short lol
Posted via Mobile Device
That's interesting. Proportions can seem illusory. I'm guessing someone with a smaller head is seen as having a more elongated neck, which gives the illusion of added height. Or maybe I'm overreaching here?

fashion icon

That's very true about proportions, especially with Alessandra who has such short legs. Re Ginta though, I really do think she just isn't tall, she always looks small with other models. But with a face that beautiful, who cares.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsamg View Post
That's very true about proportions, especially with Alessandra who has such short legs. Re Ginta though, I really do think she just isn't tall, she always looks small with other models. But with a face that beautiful, who cares.
Exactly. Because that's what most people are going to look at anyway. The rest is secondary. Well, for many people that seems to be the case. Maybe I'm just referring to myself?

V.I.P.

Cara (estimated 5'6-5'7) in what I would calculate as 2.5-3 inch heels, walking past the 5'9.5" Hedvig also in 2-3 inch heels, and they both look to be around the same height to me, Cara half an inch shorter or so. I always thought Hedvig was a bit shorter than most other models. She should easily be 5'11 in those shoes with her "natural height" but doesn't really pass Cara (who should be around 5'9.5"-5'10 in her shoes) 3:41.

09-09-2013
trendsetter

Saw karlina Caune today- probably about 5'7" and Magda laguinge about 5'8"

09-09-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab348 View Post
Saw karlina Caune today- probably about 5'7" and Magda laguinge about 5'8"
I seriously doubt that magda is that short, she seems tall even by model standards

09-09-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intern22 View Post
I seriously doubt that magda is that short, she seems tall even by model standards
Yeah my friend lives in Cordoba and sees her around a lot when she's not working and they are both around the same height like 5'10-5'10.5

12-09-2013
fashion insider

Sara Sampaio.

Sara Sampaio insists she isn't too short for the runway - it's other models who are too tall.

The Victoria's Secret star looks up to British star Kate Moss, whose career she would love to emulate.

Kate is seen as unusual in the industry as she is just 5ft. 6ins., with most models at least three inches taller than her. Sara hopes to pave the way for shorter girls to have careers in fashion.

"Me and her are kind of the same height, so she always inspired me when people would say, 'You’re too short for fashion, you’re too short for runway.' But I don’t think I am; the other models are just too tall," she laughed to modelinia.com. "That’s how I see it. So, she’s always been a huge inspiration to me."

Source: modelinia.com

Last edited by Bernadette; 12-09-2013 at 01:56 PM.
18-09-2013
backstage pass

The difference is: Kate is a fashion model with a runway friendly look that worked in the 90's when "being different" was half path to success. Sara is a shorty lingerie model with a very commercial face. Sara is 5'7/5'8. What takes her away from the runway jobs is her face/look, not her height.

-

I noticed, if you look at the shorter girls agencies sign, most of them have faces you would call exceptionally beautiful which can always work in high fashion too. BUT, an agency is almost taking a lot less of a risk signing them because their chance of attaining a beauty contract over rides any kind of negative outcome which may arise from investing time and money into her development and success.
Think Ali Michael, Amanda Norgaard, Kristine Froseth, Luma Grothe, Hannah Holman, Bambi, etc etc.

Girls like Hirschy, although undeniably high fashion, are more of a risk because they aren't as transferable from market to market.

When you think about it, the exceptions to the rules are girls SOOO amazing that any physical requirement clients usually DEMAND cease to matter.

Yes? I think it's quite interesting. Although, as per usual, there are always exceptions.

18-09-2013
trendsetter

Luma Grothe 5'7" I've met her.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, models, tall