How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-10-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by svetlanash View Post
This is true! For some reason most of the shorter models are coming from Australia.
I'm from Australia and my real height is 5'7 and I was scouted LOTS as a teenager and my first year at university even though I told the scout I was 5'7 and would not grow. They didn't care and said they would just lie. I have a very symmetrical face and good skin (I'm not going to lie despite how conceited I may sound) so I think your point is very accurate. Face can definitely compensate for height and Australian agencies are lenient.

18-10-2013
front row

i work around models in nyc and im here to assure you guys, they are TALLER than you think. i am a solid 6 foot and 75% of these girls stare me eye to eye WITHOUT HEELS when i see them. i know it gives some of you shorties hope but sorry to burst your bubbles cause these chicks are amazons! ive met countless models who are listed at 5'10 and 5'11 who are actually the same height if not just as tall as me. Laura Kampman was so tall it really shocked me when i seen her in person. Ashleigh Good was super tall, Vanessa Axente had to look down at me, Maria Borges seemed to be 6'3 lol, Manuela Frey made me feel short, Joan Smalls is a giant, even Lindsey Wixson who i thought was short was surprisingly tall. Candice and Edita are NOT under 5'9 trust me! the only models who have not been noticeably tall were marine deeleeuw, jasmine tookes, kel markey, juliana schurig, and sigrid agren (who was tall but not as tall as i expected). i could go on and on

19-10-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by intern22 View Post
i work around models in nyc and im here to assure you guys, they are TALLER than you think. i am a solid 6 foot and 75% of these girls stare me eye to eye WITHOUT HEELS when i see them. i know it gives some of you shorties hope but sorry to burst your bubbles cause these chicks are amazons! ive met countless models who are listed at 5'10 and 5'11 who are actually the same height if not just as tall as me. Laura Kampman was so tall it really shocked me when i seen her in person. Ashleigh Good was super tall, Vanessa Axente had to look down at me, Maria Borges seemed to be 6'3 lol, Manuela Frey made me feel short, Joan Smalls is a giant, even Lindsey Wixson who i thought was short was surprisingly tall. Candice and Edita are NOT under 5'9 trust me! the only models who have not been noticeably tall were marine deeleeuw, jasmine tookes, kel markey, juliana schurig, and sigrid agren (who was tall but not as tall as i expected). i could go on and on
THANK YOU
There are definitely models who aren't that tall but they are rather rare. Sometimes I think the rumors of popular models being shorter is a way to make those models and/or modeling seem more achievable. These agencies in NYC are strict and designers are even more strict. They have to be above a certain height in order to wear the samples (long enough legs and torso).
The most noticeably "short" model I've seen was Hannah Holman in flats but she is taller than average height.

19-10-2013
scenester

I posted an interview (in Lithuanian language, sorry) with Erika Labanauskaite in her thread, where she made some comments about models height.
A brief translation of those commnets:
"Erika says that she didn't even try for runaways for quite a long time, because she didn't think she had a body for that (she's 24 now). Later in castings she was often told that she is too small and short for those 'sample' clothes and shoes, as she is only 173 cm, with 37 shoe size. And not everyone want's to make adjustments before show [...]Also she was happy to meet Cara Delevigne backstage, who is even shorter than her. "

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
Yes, also have to add that another tfs member AlmostFamous, Taylor, is friends with Edita and confirmed that Edita is taller than her. Taylor is 5'7"/5'8".
Taylor is def not that tall. I saw her in NYMM and she seems to be 5'6" at most.

19-10-2013
V.I.P.

I believe Taylor said she was 5'8.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
Sometimes I think the rumors of popular models being shorter is a way to make those models and/or modeling seem more achievable.
What a weird mentality for people to have.
Every job has requirements so why lie to yourself and say they don't exist/are meaningless?

19-10-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch View Post
What a weird mentality for people to have.
Every job has requirements so why lie to yourself and say they don't exist/are meaningless?
So many young girls dream of becoming models but don't meet the requirements listed on agency websites. My theory is that there is somewhat of a "witch-hunt" mentality especially on the internet as to speculate which successful models don't meet those requirements. It's a way try and make a statement that girls who don't meet requirements have an equal chance at modeling just like their favorite VS Angel. It makes girls feel better because modeling standards are often considered rare and unachievable...

But like you suggested, isn't the whole point of fashion modeling the fact that models are in the upper echelon of physical requirements? That they're essentially physical dreams and fantasies? Height cannot be controlled or chosen and industry standards weeds out 98% of the population. The remaining 2% are the Kate Mosses, Hannah Holmans, Bambi etc who have everything but the height.

20-10-2013
front row

^^^^

I agree with everything.
If you're interested in modelling go to an agency (or two or three) and see what they say. The end. Who cares if 8027431 other models are 165cm or 185cm, they are not you.

Reading these posts and after a quick google on this issue it seems people try and convince themselves that they have an equal chance but yet they still want modelling to retain high standards for everyone else. So, THEY THEMSELVES can skip the requirements but no one else can.
They want to skip the requirements but they want to revel in the job being exclusive.

20-10-2013
trendsetter

It is frustrating when I post on a models thread that she is short and everyone says it doesn't matter. It does matter. I am only trying to point out that she will have a much tougher time breaking and lasting and her height will be a major reason not to be as successful. I watched many models who are the proverbial "5'9"" this season not get many shows and I know height was an issue.
I know everyone wants to think they could be the exception and brings up Kate Moss but I wish they would not sign them unless they are strong commercially and let them continue their education.

20-10-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariann View Post
Yes. It gives hope to a lot of other girls too but I am sure models can make it based on hard work. That probably makes up for shorter height.

I know Zippora Seven is around 5ft4. She is pretty cute in height. She was even said to be 5ft 3 and half. Her agencies have to claim a taller height so they say 5ft 6. Even that is shorter than expected.
Mariann, you make some outrageous claims!! Lol, Zippora is just under 5"8" 5.7.5"- 5"8" , just because you wish something to be so, doesn't mean that it is!
Hannah Holman, Zippora, Amanda Norgard, Rosie Tupper are all about this same height which is really the absolute minimum. The only successful model who is below this would be Anja Konstantinova. Most of the Shorties mentioned are around the 5"8" mark . Miranda , Edita etc.
Re: catwalk models in NY , yes definitely 5"11 - 6 ft is the norm rather than an anomaly

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intern22 View Post
Very surprised about Candice since when her thread was started her agency listed her at 5'8 and later moved her up to 5'9, I didn't think they usually lied about 5'9 girls to make them shorter?

20-10-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsamg View Post
Very surprised about Candice since when her thread was started her agency listed her at 5'8 and later moved her up to 5'9, I didn't think they usually lied about 5'9 girls to make them shorter?
She was signed at 15 so it is possible she grew.

20-10-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch View Post
She was signed at 15 so it is possible she grew.
She definitely grew just like many other models signed at 15. Remember how Karlie was 5'10.5" when she was first signed at 15? We all know she is much taller now.
Lindsey Wixson is also another model who has grown.

22-10-2013
front row

Does anyone know Imogen Morris Clarke's REAL height?
5'10ish right?
Someone told me she was 172ish which seems very wrong so I wanted to confirm I misheard them.
Has anyone seen her recently?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, models, tall