How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-12-2013
V.I.P.

I will give you a hint
Sara said she is as tall as Kate Moss , right? Look at the photo of Sara next to the other VS girls a few pages back...that is not a 3" difference. That is a full on 5" at least.
So, that would make her 5'6" max. I can see 5'6" or 5'5", but def not 5'7".

21-01-2014
trendsetter

Juliana S. next to Karlie

my screencap

21-01-2014
V.I.P.

^ hahaha that's hilarious

21-01-2014
backstage pass

^^ Well, since Karlie is allegedly 6'1", and Juliana is stated to be 5'9" (but speculated to be a bit shorter than that), that difference is reasonable... IMO, Karlie looks more of a misfit on that runway to me, than Juliana, who fits better with the other girls- height wise.
Just saying.

backstage pass

I'm 5'9 and I've been right next to Sara. She was wearing JC heels so if you think the usual JC heels are 5 inches and I was wearing one inch heels, I would say she's actually 5'6/5'7. But for sure nothing less than 5'6.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFavorite View Post
^^ Well, since Karlie is allegedly 6'1", and Juliana is stated to be 5'9" (but speculated to be a bit shorter than that), that difference is reasonable... IMO, Karlie looks more of a misfit on that runway to me, than Juliana, who fits better with the other girls- height wise.
Just saying.
Karlie saying she's 6'1" in the public eye is surely an understatement. Everyone knows she is at least 6'2". I've seen her out and about in NYC and she towers over guys considered very tall. She is a giant. I think she is shaving inches from her height because she is still dealing with that young woman insecurity complex (who wouldn't if you're in the public eye and taller than all the other girls?).

21-01-2014
backstage pass

^ Well that's quite a height... Too much for a model, I guess if she was just starting in the business, she wouldn't get a positive feedback from the clients (or agencies in the first place), but so far she has earned her place in the industry, so that's why her height doesn't bother her career.

Last edited by MyFavorite; 21-01-2014 at 08:09 AM.
21-01-2014
V.I.P.

That seems to be a crazy difference more than Juliana bein 5'9". She would have to be 5'7" or so easy to be that short next to someone 6'2".

21-01-2014
front row

foreverandnone: You have to remember that Karlie is still closest to the camera. There's still at least 2 feet between them as they're not side by side yet in that picture. The difference is going to appear greater in the photo. Anyway, Juliana is definitely not 5'7" but I'll peg her as a strong 5'9"...which is kind of short for a runway model these days.

MyFavorite: Actually, when you're young and super tall, you have all the advantages except with commercial clients. But once you're a big name, the commercial comes calling but it's still harder for them to be as commercially versatile (most contemporary ready to wear, sportswear, denim and bathing suits are cut on a 5'9" grade rather than the meant to be hemmed like in high fashion). That's why it great for super tall youngins to hit it big on the runway as soon as they can. If you noticed, 6' is becoming the norm in the industry but agencies are still putting 5'10.5 and 5'11" on the cards. 5'9" and under is becoming the new "short." It's a huge shift in the past few decades in the industry as many of the supers like Iman, Cindy, Stephanie, Naomi, Linda, Janice, Karen M and even Gia Carangi (5'7") were only around 5'9"-5'10" but were "tall" for their time.

21-01-2014
V.I.P.

With the trend leaning towards taller girls I can only imagine the norm for runway height being 6'0 or more within the next few years. Especially when people realize there is a major over saturation of girls who don't really have what it takes, and only a several hundred or so girls are destined for promising careers.

Last edited by ad31214; 21-01-2014 at 01:56 PM.
21-01-2014
trendsetter

This was at the Dior Homme show Karlie and Barbara Palvin. Looks like same shoes too
from Palvinbarbies.tumblr

21-01-2014
trendsetter

^ Barbara's only around 5'7" tall isn't she?
She looks like Karlie's little sister there

V.I.P.

I definitely noticed Karlie in that Versace show, even her legs looked way longer than everybody else's, so it's not just the actual height that sticks out. She sells a long dress way better than these mini skirts, which make her look like just a pair of walking legs.

23-01-2014
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougevalentino View Post
^ Barbara's only around 5'7" tall isn't she?
She looks like Karlie's little sister there
My thoughts exactly.

23-01-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
Karlie saying she's 6'1" in the public eye is surely an understatement. Everyone knows she is at least 6'2". I've seen her out and about in NYC and she towers over guys considered very tall. She is a giant. I think she is shaving inches from her height because she is still dealing with that young woman insecurity complex (who wouldn't if you're in the public eye and taller than all the other girls?).
Karlie is tall, gargantuan even, especially when you see her in person she is very impressive but she is actually a solid 6'1", she is not 6'2" and never will be.
People forget that 6'2" is over 188cm.
That is 8 cm taller than models like Magda Fraçkowiak and Lais Ribeiro who are both 180cm and trust when I tell you, Karlie is not 8cm taller than either of them.
What happens is, people just start adding centimetres and inches here and there and suddenly models are 3 inches taller on paper than they are in real life, which is exactly what happened to the likes of Tiiu and Oluchi. Suddenly they're 190cm tall!
It's exaggeration.
Karlie is the same height as Frida and Kirsi. She's also a good 2-3cm shorter than Marikka Juhler.
If Karlie is "at least" 6'2", Marikka is hovering around 190-192cm!
Hogwash

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, models, tall