How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-03-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
Bravo. This is so true and many do not know this. Something else many do not realize is that shoe size makes a difference. A smaller shoe size in the same shoe style ends up having a shorter heel than a bigger shoe size of the same style. If you compare a size 6.5 shoe to a size 10 shoe, the size 10 heel is taller than the heel on the 6.5 shoe. Next time you're in a shoe store, make the comparison!
You know what...I didn't even think of that, but I know what you're saying and it makes absolute sense.
The total length of a size 10 foot is greater than the length of a size 6.5 foot so when that is raised (for example to accommodate a heel), the longer foot will require a higher heel.

I've just figured something out...............that means that if 2 girls were exactly the same height but one had significantly larger feet (hi Kirsi) and they both put on the same 'type' of heels, the one with the bigger feet is going to be taller in those shoes because of the greater length of her foot that's raised...

Last edited by BoeingGuy82; 20-03-2014 at 04:47 AM.

20-03-2014
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingGuy82 View Post
You know what...I didn't even think of that, but I know what you're saying and it makes absolute sense.
The total length of a size 10 foot is greater than the length of a size 6.5 foot so when that is raised (for example to accommodate a heel), the longer foot will require a higher heel.

I've just figured something out...............that means that if 2 girls were exactly the same height but one had significantly larger feet (hi Kirsi) and they both put on the same 'type' of heels, the one with the bigger feet is going to be taller in those shoes because of the greater length of her foot that's raised...
Exactly. Shoe sizing production is just like clothing. For many brands, an XL shirt is all around bigger than a S shirt--the neck opening, sleeves etc are all bigger. It's because when companies manufacture sizes, it's all scaled to proportion.
So in order to make that size 10 shoe look like a similar proportion as the size 6.5 shoe, the heel is going to be a little higher to maintain the same look and scale.

I noticed models with smaller feet tend to appear even shorter as a result..

21-03-2014
V.I.P.

That's not true. My mom and I tested this out after I read this. She has 3 pairs of shoes (different brands) that are the same shoe as mine. She takes a size 9 and I take a 7.5. All the shoes measure the same in the heel. The only difference is in length of the shoe. There is 0 difference in heel height.

21-03-2014
V.I.P.

^It probably depends, but to me it still is not an argument judging the models' heights.
They will barely ever get true to their own size shoes at the shows so it is pointless to discuss the heel size, since we don't know what size they are actually wearing.

22-03-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverandnone View Post
That's not true. My mom and I tested this out after I read this. She has 3 pairs of shoes (different brands) that are the same shoe as mine. She takes a size 9 and I take a 7.5. All the shoes measure the same in the heel. The only difference is in length of the shoe. There is 0 difference in heel height.
Love this..

24-04-2014
V.I.P.

justjared

24-04-2014
V.I.P.

^It's funny because Malaika is listed as 175 and Cara 176, but Malaika always appears to be taller than her on runway.

trendsetter

So what do we think Cara 5'7" and Malaika 5'8"?

26-04-2014
front row

I find it hard to belive Cara is 176.. She is not that much taller than Georgia May and she always seems shorter than Malaika who is a bit of shorty. And I have seen some interviews with GM and she seems very open about being short.

27-04-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab348 View Post
So what do we think Cara 5'7" and Malaika 5'8"?
Cara is 1000 percent not 5'7.

Next to Alber

And next to Hanne and Kasia - 5'10 and 5'11

01-05-2014
backstage pass

^ Umm...that photo with Hanne and Kasia.....
What you are seeing is NOT 3 girls in the same shoe height standing side by side, clearly Cara is in flats and the other 2 in heels infact I know Kasia's wearing those high, pointy black Versace boots of hers.

Last edited by BoeingGuy82; 01-05-2014 at 05:58 AM.
01-05-2014
fashion insider

facebook/Topshop

05-05-2014
V.I.P.

Same old discussion but I know it's hard to define anything based on pictures. What I can tell is that Cara is not more than 5'8 that's for sure. I'm 5'7 and I saw and took a picture with Cara and a friend after the Hakaan show last year at Htel Westin in Paris, and she was clearly not taller than me in any way. Also, to compare with Alber Elbaz, he is really short, I was standing next to him at the Lanvin after show, and he was like 5cm shorter than me. I guess this makes Cara a solid 5'7 but definitely not more.

23-07-2014
front row

thevoguevibes

In order: Caroline Trentini, Jessica Stam, Frida Gustavsson, Karlie Kloss & Karen Elson

I never knew Karen was a shortie so I was quite surprised when I saw this. Karen is listed as 5'10" by Society and she looks really short next to the other girls. Yes, Karlie & Frida are over 6 ft but she looks a lot shorter than Caroline and Jessica.

Also, I looked in style.com, and Karen, Karlie and Jessica were wearing the same type of heels, while Caroline was wearing shoes with heels that are a little bit lower, and I'm guessing Frida is as well because I'm sure she's a lot closer to Karlie's height than what's being show on the picture.

Last edited by stamonopkaward; 23-07-2014 at 01:29 AM.
24-07-2014
V.I.P.

If Karlie is 6'1", then that would create a visual difference in height even with someone who is 5'9" or 5'10". That's a 3-4 inch difference

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, models, tall