How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-02-2014
V.I.P.

Celebrity Models
I thought this particular discussion deserved its own topic since it's been getting a lot of attention recently.

What's your opinion on the so-called "celebrity models", girls who get into a modeling career mostly due to famous family, famous boyfriend, etc? Dree Hemingway, Lily Aldridge, Georgia May Jagger, Cara Delevingne, Lily McMenamy, Kendall Jenner... in recent years a lot of them have been breaking in the industry and booking A-list jobs.

So, what's your take on it?

17-02-2014
V.I.P.

I find it horrible tbh. I can't stand almost any of them. They're just not made to be a model and a poor excuse for designers to get some hype. That's the only reason.

I like Edie though. She's a decent model and the fact that some clients (Jil Sander, Ashley Brokaw, Vogue Paris) consistently book her while they wouldn't normally cast other socialites just proves that she has talent. You don't see her seeking attention outside of modeling either
cough Cara cough

17-02-2014
V.I.P.

they suck, except Jean Campbell (who's not really well-known though i guess...)

17-02-2014
fashion icon

Bradley Cooper's girlfriend is awful.

17-02-2014
front row

I have no problem at all with celebrity models as long as they blend in with the rest of the ACTUAL models. cara to me is striking in person and is a legit model regardless of her having a model sister. Dree to me has a very forgettable face but she lucked out with getting a pair of "the legs" so she's okay. Georgia may Jagger has a very awkward body and should stick to print. Lily mcmenamy has the perfect body for high fashion so it works I guess. Kendall jenner blended in surprisingly well at marc jacobs but she's wayyy too commercial. and the worst of all is Bradley Coopers girlfriend. she is just horrendous. the body, the face, the legs, everything is just ughhh. I can't believe burberry put her on their runway. she stood out like a sore thumb because she didn't look like a model she looked like an actress walking down the runway

17-02-2014
front row

if she wasn't Bradley coopers girlfriend the casting directors would have laughed at her and showed her the exit at the casting

17-02-2014
backstage pass

Lily Aldridge would be a model regardless of her brother. and I don't think she's benefitted all too much from being Miles' sister. Georgia May Jagger also actually looks like a model though being Mick and Jerry's daughter has been a huge boost to her success. Cara D is a mystery to me. I don't find her ugly and given what models look like today, I'm not surprised she would make it as a model, but the level of her success baffles me. The others I think are marginal models, and in some cases, not model material at all.

17-02-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by intern22 View Post
I have no problem at all with celebrity models as long as they blend in with the rest of the ACTUAL models. cara to me is striking in person and is a legit model regardless of her having a model sister. Dree to me has a very forgettable face but she lucked out with getting a pair of "the legs" so she's okay. Georgia may Jagger has a very awkward body and should stick to print. Lily mcmenamy has the perfect body for high fashion so it works I guess. Kendall jenner blended in surprisingly well at marc jacobs but she's wayyy too commercial. and the worst of all is Bradley Coopers girlfriend. she is just horrendous. the body, the face, the legs, everything is just ughhh. I can't believe burberry put her on their runway. she stood out like a sore thumb because she didn't look like a model she looked like an actress walking down the runway
Haha...love that..
You're right, Kendall, although striking and tall and all the rest of it, is far too commercial, I can't see her being highly embraced by HF despite who her Mother, Sister and future Brother-in-law are..
She is pretty beyond words but too perfect, too flawless, a little boring.

I can't with that Lily McMenamy, I never really even fully understood her Mother let alone her.
That face is....
I've warmed a bit to Cara over time, at first I just thought she was a clown but I've come to appreciate that she does have quite an infectious personality and probably a little bit of ADD..
Can you please just stand STILL for Pete's sake?!!

I find Lily Aldridge, Dree Hemingway and Georgia May just forgettable, full stop.

Last edited by BoeingGuy82; 17-02-2014 at 07:58 PM.
17-02-2014
front row

Lily mcmenamys face may not be typically beautiful but it's a face that you'll never forget and some of her pictures are really inspiring.

17-02-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Lily mcmenamys face may not be typically beautiful but it's a face that you'll never forget and some of her pictures are really inspiring.
Agreed, she may be a celebrity model but her face is not the kind of face you see everyday. There is something that captivates you, she may not be traditionally beautiful but she surely makes an impact. I think that is what is needed in an industry flooded with pedestrian, mall-girl models. Even worse for those models to be the children of celebrities or well-respected people in the fashion industry. Lily does just the opposite of that.

17-02-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Oh yeah I definitely get that, it's a face I won't forget alright but for the wrong reasons
It's not that I don't think she'll do well it's just personally I don't like the look of her, and that's being as nice and PC as possible..

On the other hand, I don't mind Edie Campbell. She's doing really well too.

18-02-2014
V.I.P.

Omg I was LITERALLY thinking about starting a thread like this.

Another one that I can't stand is Ireland Baldwin. Imho, at best she's bland & at worst she is BEYOND forgettable

I don't mind Lily A, Edie, Georgia & Cara because they've turned out to be really good models. They've got the looks & they work for it instead of riding the coattails of fame

18-02-2014
V.I.P.

Hmm unlike you guys I really do mind Georgia. Her proportions are so off for runways, and her face is quite awkward too. I can't believe she has a beauty contract.
I'd take Cara, Lily A and Lily M over her any day.

Suki is pretty albeit not model material.

18-02-2014
front row

Ireland Baldwin is a joke, she's simply a very tall girl with a really famous dad. she's not a model. she's a nodel.

18-02-2014
.my prison is your brain.

Merged with existing thread.

We also have Socialite Models
and Models That Are Royalty

And probably many more! Because this industry is saturated with nepotism. Just look at the magazine industry (VOGUEs!) where individuals are mostly hired because of their last name/parents wealth.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1%, celebrity, model, models, people, related, rich or famous, rise