To the people working in the "business" - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
04-03-2005
V.I.P.

To the people working in the "business"
Seeing that you guys meet them in your jobs, is the models' personality/niceness a factor that makes you like them?

Or do you guys just look at it as a business and judge the girls/boys by their looks?

04-03-2005
backstage pass

It's like real life you have rude people, nice people and people who are down to earth. All people are not the same there is no standard for what type of attitude a person should have. I am so use to being judged on my looks I don't do that with other people it's all about what's inside.

17-04-2005
backstage pass

A model's personality is definitely a factor when choosing one for a job.

If a model seems bored and irritable in the 5 minute 'interview' of the casting, imagine what she will be like after a full day's work, being asked to stay on late to get the last shot, when she hasn't had a chance to get a cigarette, when she's stuck in uncomfortable clothes she hates and shoes 2 sizes too small, when the make-up artist wants to retouch her eyes just one more time?!

I've worked with 15 year old divas from the New Faces boards, acting like Naomi on their first job, but I'm sure after working a few shoots with people much less tolerant than me, they'll soon come down to earth!

17-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

looks first...versatility second (portfolio)...personality last...

when i have a story idea...i have a specific look in mind...and i am looking for a specific 'type' of girl...then...to narrow it down...i may choose someone based on their personality...but not on whether they are fun...more on whether they are smart and passionate...because i'm thinking...'will they 'get' the story and be able to give me what i need'...i think a lot of it is in the eyes...there is a 'spark'...some girls just have it...

i never work with 15 yr olds...i find the girls who are slightly older are just better at taking direction...

Last edited by softgrey; 17-04-2005 at 09:16 PM.
18-04-2005
etre soi-meme

personality is engraved on the face of the model.. its there, in her expression
i can detect it even by just seeing a model's book.
poses, choices of pictures & styles, model's card, it all reflects models own style
so, yes, it is important, both for creative and 'commercial' jobs.

as a designer i have absolute freedom in choosing what i want
hight, looks etc comes second in my book,
if the feeling is there, model gets the job

27-04-2005
front row

Umm when I direct book, it's clearly about the looks. But it's kind of like nepotism sometimes, you work with someone awsome on a job that you casted them purely on looks for, and then a story comes into mind two months down the road and you think "oh my god softgrey would be a great model for this, plus she's damn rad to hang with".

28-04-2005
windowshopping

All I care about is getting the job done. I have had tough clients that I would prefer not to work with again and I have had very gracious clients that make my job a pleasure.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
business, people, working