How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-05-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal28
Zion, not if the long, flowing dress is SPECIFICALLY designed for short people. If the entire line is for petite women, with NOTHING that'll fit proportionate people over 5'7, then the dress would look great on someone who is average height.
I totally agree with u...

18-05-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal28
Zion, not if the long, flowing dress is SPECIFICALLY designed for short people. If the entire line is for petite women, with NOTHING that'll fit proportionate people over 5'7, then the dress would look great on someone who is average height.
i totally agree with ya...

26-05-2006
windowshopping

As a girl who is 5'2 I would love to see a designer/runway line for petite girls. I love the way I look but shopping can be hard.

26-05-2006
backstage pass

I'm sure there are lines of clothing (designer) for petite woman but the chances of designers having only short models walk their runways are pretty slim. Maybe there is a designer in the making that will want to do that but when it comes down to it clothes do look better on tall people period. I'm considered short by modeling standards and I would love to see more short models but entire runways shows with short models probably wont happen (imo).

26-05-2006
tfs star

I love Crystal Renn's body. She is my favorite plus sized model.

source on pic

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna1576
I'm sure there are lines of clothing (designer) for petite woman but the chances of designers having only short models walk their runways are pretty slim. Maybe there is a designer in the making that will want to do that but when it comes down to it clothes do look better on tall people period. I'm considered short by modeling standards and I would love to see more short models but entire runways shows with short models probably wont happen (imo).
Luna,

This may be true, but will a 5'10 girl even look like she's wearing a pair of "normal" length pants if the sample size is cut specifically for petites? Petite full length pants' inseams are generally 29 or 30 inches long whereas a runway model wears pants that are 34". If the pants are meant to be full length, they shouldn't look like cropped pants on the runway. In any case, petite pants also have shorter rises, which 5'10 runway girls usually don't have. Being petite isn't only a height thing but also a proportion thing. We are not talking about designers who have established regular lines also making petite clothes.

26-05-2006
backstage pass

yeah i see your point.

07-06-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeUpJunkie
I love Crystal Renn's body. She is my favorite plus sized model.

source on pic
thats a plus size??? where?

07-06-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss artemis
thats a plus size??? where?
She is, but its not noticable. Thats what I love. Its not the first thing you notice, she carries herself well.

backstage pass

Why is it that plus-sized models are more common than petite models? It seems like people are beginning to acknowledge that the average Western woman is not a size 0, but they aren't doing the same in regards to height. Statistics have shown that the majority of Western women are 5'4" and under, which means there are a large number of petite women out there. Also, less than 10% of women in the world are born naturally tall and thin enough to be a model.

Quote:
when it comes down to it clothes do look better on tall people period.
Why do you think that?

12-07-2006
backstage pass

I think what some people don't get here is that many of us want to see petite model model PETITE SIZES, not regular ones. Therefore, they will be wearing clothes cut in proportion to their bodies. It would be like plus-sized models. There is no issue with the clothes not looking good on them, because they are cut down to fit someone who is shorter. Someone who is 5'9 would look awkward wearing something cut for a woman who is 5'2 or 5'3. The tops would be too short, as would bottoms. Many petite women would like to see more stylish petite sizes, so that they would not have to spend tons of money on alterations.

www.shorty-stories.com

www.petitiononline.com/shortgal/petition.html

12-07-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasian Mélange
Why is it that plus-sized models are more common than petite models? It seems like people are beginning to acknowledge that the average Western woman is not a size 0, but they aren't doing the same in regards to height. Statistics have shown that the majority of Western women are 5'4" and under, which means there are a large number of petite women out there. Also, less than 10% of women in the world are born naturally tall and thin enough to be a model.

Why do you think that?
because they just do. I don't think it would be a common requirement for runway/fashion models to be tall if there wasn't a reason. Why would agencies have height requirements? What other reason would designers want tall models if it wasn't because they felt that the clothes looked better on them.

13-07-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
because they just do. I don't think it would be a common requirement for runway/fashion models to be tall if there wasn't a reason. Why would agencies have height requirements? What other reason would designers want tall models if it wasn't because they felt that the clothes looked better on them.
But why do you think clothes look better on tall people? I was asking why you think that, not why designers appear to think that.

13-07-2006
front row

^ I think the clothes look more graceful and elegant on tall people.

Sorry to butt in.

13-07-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriellaV
^ I think the clothes look more graceful and elegant on tall people.

Sorry to butt in.
exactly. I've always thought clothes looked most ideal on tall people. They hang better , the construction views better (the lines). Since I've been into fashion and learned to construct garments it's become especially true (imo). I mean i always thought it was kind of obvious but maybe that's just me.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
models, petite, sized