How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-07-2006
backstage pass

I disagree with both of you and think that people on this forum who say clothes look better on tall thin people are biased seeing as it is a fashion and model forum. Also, the only reason the construction views better on these models is because the designers made it specifically for them. If they made it for a plus-sized model or a petite model it wouldn't look good on an ordinary tall and thin model.

Anyway, I believe that everyone can look good in clothes as long as they are wearing something that flatters their particular body type and they carry themselves with grace and confidence. Not all tall thin girls are going to make clothes look great if they walk like a gorilla in heat or wobble about like they are going to topple over and smash into tiny pieces.

I do agree that tall thin people can look very elegant and ethereal in certain clothes, but I also think that women with curves can look stunning and sexy and that petite women can look beautiful and feminine.

I myself prefer the slim but curvy look to the very thin look even though it can be attractive. I'm not saying tall girls can't have curves, but if you compare a tall woman and a short woman with the same measurements, the shorter woman is going to be a lot curvier because her measurements are squashed closer together. A waistless woman with a body like a ruler (such as Gisele Bundchen) is not going to look as amazing in an elegant gown as an hourglass woman will in my opinion.

07-08-2006
V.I.P.

Even with Petite Modeling. The relatively taller girls are still gonna be more popular.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmesweet
Even with Petite Modeling. The relatively taller girls are still gonna be more popular.

Not if I had my way and if my campaign goes far enough. It's just that people aren't listening yet

09-08-2006
rising star

I know this might offend people but i would not want to see plus size and petit models on the runway.(im petite myself) i want to see see Hot bodies and attractive models that show off the clothes. I like the runway to be a fantasy it sells the image. And by the way that torrid ad is heinous. she is pretty but that pic is nasty even if she was wearing something that i loved it just ruins it for me.

10-08-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by huda914
I know this might offend people but i would not want to see plus size and petit models on the runway.(im petite myself) i want to see see Hot bodies and attractive models that show off the clothes. I like the runway to be a fantasy it sells the image. And by the way that torrid ad is heinous. she is pretty but that pic is nasty even if she was wearing something that i loved it just ruins it for me.
Wow. I just don't even know what to say to this. How rude. All sizes of HEALTHY women should be seen and appreciated on the runway. Ugh...

10-08-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasian Mélange
I disagree with both of you and think that people on this forum who say clothes look better on tall thin people are biased seeing as it is a fashion and model forum. Also, the only reason the construction views better on these models is because the designers made it specifically for them. If they made it for a plus-sized model or a petite model it wouldn't look good on an ordinary tall and thin model.

Anyway, I believe that everyone can look good in clothes as long as they are wearing something that flatters their particular body type and they carry themselves with grace and confidence. Not all tall thin girls are going to make clothes look great if they walk like a gorilla in heat or wobble about like they are going to topple over and smash into tiny pieces.

I do agree that tall thin people can look very elegant and ethereal in certain clothes, but I also think that women with curves can look stunning and sexy and that petite women can look beautiful and feminine.

I myself prefer the slim but curvy look to the very thin look even though it can be attractive. I'm not saying tall girls can't have curves, but if you compare a tall woman and a short woman with the same measurements, the shorter woman is going to be a lot curvier because her measurements are squashed closer together. A waistless woman with a body like a ruler (such as Gisele Bundchen) is not going to look as amazing in an elegant gown as an hourglass woman will in my opinion.
I agree 100%.

10-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by huda914
Then who should model clothes that are made only for special sizes?

15-08-2006
scenester

There is really no market for petite modeling. Most petite lines are just different cut versions of the regular lines; they're going to use the same models and advertisements and whatever that they use for their regular sized lines. I don't know of any agencies with petite divisions.

There are jobs for shorter girls, but they go to girls who are 5'6 at an absolute minimum. For example, I'm 5'7 and I was in a swimsuit editorial for a magazine where me and several other models of my height were hanging out in a boat. A 5'11 girl would have looked cramped in the boat, but we were able to lay across the width of it and just barely fit. Jobs like that exist, but you'll need to get an agency and every agency has a height requirement.

The only place where you're going to see short models is in magazines like Maxim or FHM, etc. Which is fine, because it appeals to the mainstream a lot more than fashion does.

15-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiah
There is really no market for petite modeling. Most petite lines are just different cut versions of the regular lines; they're going to use the same models and advertisements and whatever that they use for their regular sized lines. I don't know of any agencies with petite divisions.

There are jobs for shorter girls, but they go to girls who are 5'6 at an absolute minimum. For example, I'm 5'7 and I was in a swimsuit editorial for a magazine where me and several other models of my height were hanging out in a boat. A 5'11 girl would have looked cramped in the boat, but we were able to lay across the width of it and just barely fit. Jobs like that exist, but you'll need to get an agency and every agency has a height requirement.

The only place where you're going to see short models is in magazines like Maxim or FHM, etc. Which is fine, because it appeals to the mainstream a lot more than fashion does.
Unless you're a celebrity who is famous for other reasons (i.e. Avril Lavigne)

Seriously though, I think petite women aren't loud enough. We have only in the PAST FEW MONTHS really voiced our opinion on ANYTHING regarding fashion. And even then, it's mostly more MATURE WOMEN. I do know that a girl in the UK is trying to start an agency that caters to models her size (5'3"), and to my understanding, it's slightly easier to get commercial beauty work for short girls over there. I do hope that short women, especially younger ones voice their opinion more. Or is it that they just don't care? If this is true, then it is very, very, very sad.

15-08-2006
princely

Well, as for asking why models are expected to be taller for designers, models have to wear sample sizes, it is much easier and less time consuming to tailor each outfit to every girl, when instead there are plenty of tall slimgirls they can put the same size onto everyone. Besides this, during a runway show, the clothes are there to be seen by magazine editors and buyers, as for the short amount of time the clothes appear, having the clothes larger, on taller models allows more of the design, cut, and details to be seen, as opposed to a smaller version on a smaller girl, especially in a larger venues.

Last edited by yourbestfriend; 15-08-2006 at 02:35 PM.
22-08-2006
fashion elite

another fact people forget is that tall women have very different proportions.
as a tall woman--- just under 6ft. the differneces are very tnoticeable like a longe neck/legs/arms for body. other's are more subtle, like tall women are actually curvier typically. almost all my pants need to be taken in at the waist since there is a pretty big gap between my hips and waist. same goes for chest sizes. with even the thin ones, most tall women are atleast a c. i think u are more likely to find an exagerrated hourglass figure in a taller women---even if she is thinner. comparing natasha poly is still so much curvier than the olsen twins who are actually thicker than her. also its easier to find an extremlyt hin tall woman vs. a short thin one.--if you didi find a short thin one, she would probably look like a child.

all these factors add up to tall women generally looking better in clothes, unless you want a fuller girl--but even then, a tall, full women looks pretty good as well...

Last edited by Atelier; 22-08-2006 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Please see tFS Guidelines
22-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gia0202
another fact people forget is that tall women have very different proportions.
as a tall woman--- just under 6ft. the differneces are very tnoticeable like a longe neck/legs/arms for body. other's are more subtle, like tall women are actually curvier typically. almost all my pants need to be taken in at the waist since there is a pretty big gap between my hips and waist. same goes for chest sizes. with even the thin ones, most tall women are atleast a c. i think u are more likely to find an exagerrated hourglass figure in a taller women---even if she is thinner. comparing natasha poly is still so much curvier than the olsen twins who are actually thicker than her. also its easier to find an extremlyt hin tall woman vs. a short thin one.--if you didi find a short thin one, she would probably look like a child.

all these factors add up to tall women generally looking better in clothes, unless you want a fuller girl--but even then, a tall, full women looks pretty good as well...

So where does that put people like Reese Witherspoon, Avril Lavigne (who is a "model"), Eva Longoria, etc?

23-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal28
So where does that put people like Reese Witherspoon, Avril Lavigne (who is a "model"), Eva Longoria, etc?
actress, singer, actress. that's where it puts them. As much as actresses and singers are pressured to look like models they aren't so they really don't categorize as plus sized or petite models imo.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna1576
actress, singer, actress. that's where it puts them. As much as actresses and singers are pressured to look like models they aren't so they really don't categorize as plus sized or petite models imo.
Yes, but Avril is the new Chanel girl. She's also signed with Ford (I think...or was it Wilhelmina?), probably with their celeb division. I also think these gals are "shaped" like models, despite their short frame.

23-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal28
Yes, but Avril is the new Chanel girl. She's also signed with Ford (I think...or was it Wilhelmina?), probably with their celeb division. I also think these gals are "shaped" like models, despite their short frame.
ehh but she's still not a model..she's more like a spokesmodel. not the same thing. she'll always be avril the singer just like cindy will always be cindy the supermodel. i mean they are all certainly petite but they are just as important as the product they are selling..so sample sizes will be altered, exceptions will be made where as the average model would be expected to fit the sample sizes.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
models, petite, sized