How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna1576
ehh but she's still not a model..she's more like a spokesmodel. not the same thing. she'll always be avril the singer just like cindy will always be cindy the supermodel. i mean they are all certainly petite but they are just as important as the product they are selling..so sample sizes will be altered, exceptions will be made where as the average model would be expected to fit the sample sizes.
They probably are altered, but there's a chance that they aren't (especially with dresses). I once bought a dress that was meant to be just below the knee on someone who is model-height, but the mid-calf length on me looked just as good.

Also, sample sizes can vary from designer to designer. It's just that they all seem to CHOOSE to make them longer than average. A designer can always, if he/she wanted to, make things that fit someone who is 5'1! Now wouldn't THAT cause a stir (and I hope, a good one, too!)

05-09-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gia0202
another fact people forget is that tall women have very different proportions.
as a tall woman--- just under 6ft. the differneces are very tnoticeable like a longe neck/legs/arms for body. other's are more subtle, like tall women are actually curvier typically. almost all my pants need to be taken in at the waist since there is a pretty big gap between my hips and waist. same goes for chest sizes. with even the thin ones, most tall women are atleast a c. i think u are more likely to find an exagerrated hourglass figure in a taller women---even if she is thinner. comparing natasha poly is still so much curvier than the olsen twins who are actually thicker than her. also its easier to find an extremlyt hin tall woman vs. a short thin one.--if you didi find a short thin one, she would probably look like a child.

all these factors add up to tall women generally looking better in clothes, unless you want a fuller girl--but even then, a tall, full women looks pretty good as well...
None of that is true; height has nothing to do with having big breasts and hips. If that were true all petite women would be flat-chested and hipless, yet I know plenty with boobs so big they find it difficult shopping for clothes and no petite women I know can purchase trousers from the children's section (which they would be able to do if they had small hips). I myself can't fit into a size 2 pair of trousers because my hips are too large, but a size 4 is miles too big for my waist.

Also, it is more likely you would find an exaggerated hourglass figure on a petite woman rather than a tall one. If a tall woman and a petite woman have identical measurements, the shorter one will always look much curvier because her measurements are squashed closer together:

Both sets of red lines are the same as each other (you can measure them if you like), yet the shorter drawing looks much curvier because the lines are closer together. For a tall woman to look just as curvy as a 35-24-35 petite woman, she'd have to have measurements similar to 38-22-38, or something just as ridiculous.

In addition, I doubt many would consider Salma Hayek "child-like" even though she is petite and slim.

Last edited by Eurasian Mélange; 05-09-2006 at 10:42 AM.
14-10-2006
backstage pass

I am surprised that no one has responded/posted here in a while.

19-06-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrainyday2 View Post
As a girl who is 5'2 I would love to see a designer/runway line for petite girls. I love the way I look but shopping can be hard.
Its sooo hard to shop outside Asia.
Im 5'2.5 I wish that I had exercised and tried to grow taller. I wasnt even interested in it. Although, i admit i enjoy being picked up easily by my boyfriend :p

There is some market for shorter girls in India> especially in commercials.
And in Bollywood, there are many short girls.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiah View Post
There is really no market for petite modeling. Most petite lines are just different cut versions of the regular lines; they're going to use the same models and advertisements and whatever that they use for their regular sized lines. I don't know of any agencies with petite divisions.

There are jobs for shorter girls, but they go to girls who are 5'6 at an absolute minimum. For example, I'm 5'7 and I was in a swimsuit editorial for a magazine where me and several other models of my height were hanging out in a boat. A 5'11 girl would have looked cramped in the boat, but we were able to lay across the width of it and just barely fit. Jobs like that exist, but you'll need to get an agency and every agency has a height requirement.

The only place where you're going to see short models is in magazines like Maxim or FHM, etc. Which is fine, because it appeals to the mainstream a lot more than fashion does.
There are some petite designers out there who only make petite clothes. Pam and Sheena Borja of Tamiece come to mind. These girls have trouble finding models for their clothes because there are so few agencies, if any who have girls under 5'5"! I know a girl who wants to make clothes for petite women and she doesn't think she'll ever use anyone over 5'5" for her clothes. Fit models, of course, are shorter (and are not as hard to find). I would *LOVE* to just call up an agency, tell them that I am doing PR work for a petite designer and see what they say!

I *DO* find it interesting that companies are VERY WILLING to use very petite celebs in marketing campaigns though.

24-06-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal28 View Post
There are some petite designers out there who only make petite clothes. Pam and Sheena Borja of Tamiece come to mind. These girls have trouble finding models for their clothes because there are so few agencies, if any who have girls under 5'5"! I know a girl who wants to make clothes for petite women and she doesn't think she'll ever use anyone over 5'5" for her clothes. Fit models, of course, are shorter (and are not as hard to find). I would *LOVE* to just call up an agency, tell them that I am doing PR work for a petite designer and see what they say!

I *DO* find it interesting that companies are VERY WILLING to use very petite celebs in marketing campaigns though.
You just said it. It's because they're CELEBS.

26-06-2007
Zenga Zenga

a few petites...
Elin Jakobsdottir who was obviously smaller than the other models at Veronique Leroy s/s 07 don't know if you call her a "petite" She's listed as 1m73 but guess she's a little below. Even smaller, Madara Malmane. Some great eds but don't know if she has done shows...
Then you have Felicity Gilbert who is even smaller than Kate Moss (Felicity is 1m67). She did some shows, editorials, etc.

27-07-2008
backstage pass

This thread hasn't been active in a while. Anyway, I'd just like to point out that I've recently posted a few things on petite fashion events and designers, but they've received relatively little attention. Perhaps many people here don't want to be proved wrong?

28-07-2008
backstage pass

^ It's a fashion forum, so I guess it is biased and there are many people that have nothing to post other than put-downs and indirect insults. Did you see how quickly the thread dropped once I quashed the myth that all petite women are curveless and child-like?

28-07-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasian Mélange View Post
^ It's a fashion forum, so I guess it is biased and there are many people that have nothing to post other than put-downs and indirect insults. Did you see how quickly the thread dropped once I quashed the myth that all petite women are curveless and child-like?
Yeah. And nobody bothered to reply to that post.

29-07-2008
scenester

I just read on a magazine (so totally forgot the name) how Karl said that Chanel looked better or tiny women.

30-07-2008
scenester

I will put my two cents in...
I think clothes don't look worse in petite women, just totally different. I have a friend who is the same size as me, but like 5 inches shorter, so she seems much more curvier and clothes on her look sexier. This is great when it comes to appeal men... but for me it seems that designers want non-sexualized models, and for a petite woman to look like this she has to have extreme small measurements. That may be the reason of petite women doing mostly 'sexy' modelling, like FHM or the like. I hope i have explained my mind right...

30-07-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dido View Post
I will put my two cents in...
I think clothes don't look worse in petite women, just totally different. I have a friend who is the same size as me, but like 5 inches shorter, so she seems much more curvier and clothes on her look sexier. This is great when it comes to appeal men... but for me it seems that designers want non-sexualized models, and for a petite woman to look like this she has to have extreme small measurements. That may be the reason of petite women doing mostly 'sexy' modelling, like FHM or the like. I hope i have explained my mind right...
And do you think this is why designers who specialize in petites have difficulty getting media attention? Obviously, petite designers won't want to use 5'10" models if their pants aren't going to be longer than 31" (unless they want to give of a capri effect when they weren't supposed to).

30-07-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal28 View Post
And do you think this is why designers who specialize in petites have difficulty getting media attention? Obviously, petite designers won't want to use 5'10" models if their pants aren't going to be longer than 31" (unless they want to give of a capri effect when they weren't supposed to).
Not sure about that, I don't even know if there are petite brands or designers in my country (Spain), at least I've never heard of them. It is assumed that clothes are made for tall people, so people just buy the clothes that fit in hips and waist... and then adjust the length of the trousers or whatever by sewing them at home lol

30-07-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dido View Post
It is assumed that clothes are made for tall people, so people just buy the clothes that fit in hips and waist... and then adjust the length of the trousers or whatever by sewing them at home lol
That's the problem. A lot of designers want to be edgy, but they do that with their designs and not their sizes (length-wise, anyway). The problem with length is that they don't always fit right, even if they're shortened. Many petite designers have explained that on their website. I think petite denim designer, Allison Izu explains it quite well.

Also, what about tops?

I wish the fashion industry (or at least MAINSTREAM PEOPLE in the fashion industry) isn't so quick to dismiss petites.

Last edited by writergal28; 30-07-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
models, petite, sized