How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-03-2012
tfs star

I just watched it this afternoon. It was a good document, maybe it didn`t go as deep as I tought it would, but definitely worth watching and it gives a different perspective. It was kinda weird to see some models` talking so honestly, even if they didn`t go into too much details, but you are so used to see them as "real live dolls", who don`t talk. The main problem seems to be that almost the whole industry treats these young girls as they were not human beings, and this leads to all other kind of problems.

Last edited by TommyGirl; 12-03-2012 at 11:51 AM.

17-04-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
I believe that girls need to give back the money anyway. Agencies works with so many girls and they are not able to just let them go, when theirs contracts expire. Only few girls are able to have a big break and actually make some money for themselves and the agencies. They wouldn't be able to work, if they was taking money only from girls, who got big and famous. I also think, that agencies are helping them to get some let important stuff and just ear money and pay off all debts.
hi, i just found that post and give it a late response because no one properly ansewered.

A girl can't pay her debts back. Let's say, for instance, that a girl stays three months in NY and that she doesn't get any job, she gets a 8000$ debt (flat rent, flights, books, etc). No one can pay this back. Plus if you're 18, 20, whatever, you don't have any degree, you can be a cashier, well, then you need two years or more to "give it back". So when a girl is dropped by her agency, she just gets her debts "cancelled". Actually agencies don't keep girls who don't work in town or in models flats, they just send them home if it doesn't work for them. And, besides, sure the agency finds "small jobs" (no need to say most of the jobs are small jobs..) to girls with debts, but this isn't what you call "help", agencies have their percent on any job. that just means the girl is working without earning anything. imo that looks like modern slavery

I hope it's a bit clearer

18-04-2012
front row

^ what some agencies might do to recoup a model's debt is to give her what might be called a "bail-out booking" - This is a multi-girl campaign booking where she has a rather low key role but which rather miraculously pays the amount she owes!! What actually happens is that her agent package-books her with another model (who's not in debt) and they siphon the money off her!
This (read the last paragraph) might be an example.

02-06-2012
V.I.P.

if you are an amazon prime member you may view the documentary for free through amazon.

i watched it again last night. its amazing that no one has gotten the sleazy photog on tape hassling models.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diary, documentary, film, model, picture