How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-03-2013
V.I.P.

Soo Joo on being an asian face
Quote:
What was it like to be a model of color in the industry now?
I'm not really sure. To be honest, I grew up in California more than half my life and I see myself as me; I don't see myself as an Asian model. I think part of the reason I bleached my hair was that I didn't want to be typecast as an Asian model, I wanted to be me. But diversity is very important and to be completely honest, they just want cookie-cutters a lot — not all — but a lot of the times, they do. I can't say I expect people to be colorblind, because as long as we have eyes, we're not going to be colorblind, but I hope there comes a day when it's not just cookie-cutter models. It's going to be about personality and your look beyond being just an Asian or black or Hispanic girl or whatever.
nymag.com/thecut

26-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
^ That's awesome, thanks for sharing that Marc! Seems more and more people are getting real about this issue now, telling it exactly like it is, and I love it.

Nika Mavrody [who also made it a point to include the Buzzfeed piece on casting directors to tFS' homepage] also did an awesome piece of 23 beautiful diverse models who casting directors should be hiring, most of them tFS members favorites:
http://thefashionspot.com/runway-new...-hire/?slide=1

Quote:
For casting directors who are having such trouble finding acceptable non-white models to hire for fashion jobs, we've pulled together a slideshow of just 23 young women of various non-Caucasian ethnicities. We've included a broad range of ages, experience levels and degrees of commercial viability, but this is by no means a comprehensive selection ó for example, we didn't even include top model Chanel Iman, who recently told the Sunday Times that designers will still say to her, "We already found one black girl. We donít need you any more.Ē Please don't be that person.

26-03-2013
.my prison is your brain.

And Jourdan Dunn on Net-A-Porter today:

Quote:
There were times, however, when Dunn would be on her way to castings and told to turn back because the client “didn't want any more black girls”. There was even one instance when a makeup artist announced on a shoot that she didn't want to make-up Dunn's face because she herself was white and Dunn was black.

The model admits that in the past, discrimination like this has upset her, but a tremendous sense of self-belief, instilled in her by her mother, has always seen her through.
net-a-porter.com

26-03-2013
V.I.P.

"she didn't want to make-up Dunn's face because she herself was white and Dunn was black"

OMG. Whoever that makeup artist is should be ashamed of herself.

fashion elite

Its time to Name & Shame !!!

26-03-2013
V.I.P.

Well that make-up artist is surely in a very very small minority? At least I hope!

fashion elite

^Not really. I remember Jourdan saying on twitter that a hairstylist had a mini freakout because they didn't know how to do black hair, but tried to anyway. Luckily Jourdan stopped them before they destroyed her hair.

Chanel Iman has also talked about hairstylists at a show trying to do a "wet look" on her hair the same way she did on the white girls and ruining her perm. The hairstylist didn't understand what the problem was.

If your job is to do hair or makeup at this level, you should know how to do it on every race. Its quite ridiculous and infuriating for the models who suffer for their ignorance.

Last edited by LabelWhore4; 26-03-2013 at 05:02 PM.
26-03-2013
fashion elite

Obviously I'm not a model, and I'm not black, so I would never compare my experience to Jourdan's. But as an Asian person, I've met discrimination or even just innocent ignorance from hairstylists.

1) I once asked for blonde highlights, and the hairstylist wrinkled his nose and said he would absolutely not do it because it would turn out black and white like Christina Aguilera in the "Dirrty" video. (I don't appreciate minorities being told that they're not allowed certain hair colours. I'm half-white, but it shouldn't matter how I look or what race I am - the customer is always right.)
2) I once got my hair dyed blonde and the hairstylist permanently ruined my hair by overbleaching. In the past 15 years I've always gotten highlights and this has never been a problem before.
3) When I once asked for 'my natural colour' the hairstylist dyed my hair jet black. My natural colour, like most Asian women, is the darkest brown you can imagine - almost black. If you dye our hair literally black, it's not a natural colour. I ended up looking very pale and goth. This is just innocent ignorance but it seems like it could happen.

This could easily be a problem for non-white models. I only get my hair done like 4 times a year. Models get their hair done many times a day in some cases. I agree that if you're a hairstylist it's your job to get educated about different races /hair and to not be an ***hole to people who are different than you. If you don't know what you're doing, learn, don't guess.

Last edited by mint condish; 26-03-2013 at 05:39 PM.
26-03-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint condish View Post
But as an Asian person, I've met discrimination or even just innocent ignorance from hairstylists.
It happen and will always happen my dear and I have the same/opposite example as you

I am a white guy living in Japan and they have no idea what to do with my hair either. I now prefer to shave/cut myself rather than going to the hairdresser because
1/ they look so scared when I walk in "what the hell we are going to do" look (and they of course sometimes say they are full to avoid the trouble)
2/ they have no idea what to do with my hair and it turns bad haha

so that was just to point it's not white against the rest but everyone is the same

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
^Not really. I remember Jourdan saying on twitter that a hairstylist had a mini freakout because they didn't know how to do black hair, but tried to anyway. Luckily Jourdan stopped them before they destroyed her hair.

Chanel Iman has also talked about hairstylists at a show trying to do a "wet look" on her hair the same way she did on the white girls and ruining her perm. The hairstylist didn't understand what the problem was.

If your job is to do hair or makeup at this level, you should know how to do it on every race. Its quite ridiculous and infuriating for the models who suffer for their ignorance.
Agreed. The stylists and artists working with top models should also be at the top of their game. Sometimes it's not always the case (sometimes production will higher more amateur as it's cheaper). But it seems like the top is not so sharp considering I've heard many stories from many non-white models about stylists and artists not knowing the diversity of hair textures or not having a full kit of foundation/concealer colors.

Working in this type of industry, it's extremely important for beauty stylists to continue educating themselves. I personally know a top hairstylist who travels all around the world to learn about the many different hair cultures and techniques. He incorporates everything he has learned into his own tricks backstage. That is something everyone at the top level should be doing rather than sitting in their little bubble of beauty school 101.

28-03-2013
V.I.P.

Love to see PRODn trying to help with the current diversity problem with their all-black go-sees page this week:

http://www.artandcommerceproduction.com/go-sees

Quite amazing faces and bodies there...

31-03-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post

Wakeema Hollis did a post recently after having a similar experience in South Africa of all places. At a magazine shoot, as soon as she walked through the door she was greeted by the hairstylist with, ďUgh, I canít deal with that hair! Nothing about it is sleek beautiful or chic! Itís so not (insert name of magazine here.)"

More can be seen on her site: www.hollistics.com

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by modela View Post
Its time to Name & Shame !!!
Miss Dunn was on the Jonathan Ross show yesterday (I'm sure it's posted up on youtube), where she mentioned this incident and a number of other incidents

V.I.P.

I've got to hand it to Anna Sui for always casting a pretty diverse show!

Quote:
Anna Sui: 10/45 runway slots for models of color
Joan Smalls (B, 2 looks)
Marihenny Rivera Pasible (B/L, 1 look)
Fei Fei Sun (A, 2 looks)
Ji Hye Park (A, 1 look)
Liu Wen (A, 2 looks)
Mae Mei Lapres (A, 1 look)
Xiao Wen Ju (A, 1 look)
jezebel.com

Last edited by ad31214; 31-03-2013 at 10:25 PM.
31-03-2013
V.I.P.

And as much as I despise Jeremy Scott his casting is extremely diverse, a round of applause to him for that.

Quote:
Jeremy Scott 25/29 slots for models of color.
Catalina Llanes (L 2 looks)
Genesis Vallejo (B, 2 looks)
Sessilee Lopez (B, 2 looks)
Naro Lokuruka (B, 2 looks)
Model (A)Model (A, 2 looks)
Model (B, 2 looks)
Model (B, 2 looks)
Model (B, 2 looks)
Model (B, 2 looks)
Model (B, 2 looks)
Model (B, 2 looks)
Model (B, 2 looks)