How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-09-2013
fashion insider

Something I ponder about sometimes is why, according to the casting directors and designers, having merely just one person or maybe two people from one ethnic group is meant to signify an attempt at racial diversity? For example, why is having just one Asian model walking the catwalk considered as progression when there are other racial groups, such as Indians, Blacks, Latinas and so on, that are ignored at the same time. I suppose what I am trying to say is that it alarming that the powers that be seem to consider all different races in such a homogenous way through using a model from one ethnicity to essentially represent different ethnicities in order claim that they practice racial diversity.

27-09-2013
_____

Street Style Surveys: Does The Fashion Industry Have A Diversity Problem?

buzzfeed

Three white people said that there's no problem...

There are 24 photos you can see the rest on the website: http://www.buzzfeed.com/maceyjforond...ity-problem-in

27-09-2013
V.I.P.

^ very cool they did that, interesting how they cropped their faces out.

27-09-2013
Mr. Zhivago

"not even an conscious thing" neither is grammar apparently

28-09-2013
User Friendly

well hopefully what they mean by that is addressing the fact that its not a conscious thing.. which is maybe even worse. Calvin Klein doesn't mean to exclude models of color.. it doesn't even occur to him TO include models of color (which is maybe a bigger problem?). Then I feel like when 1 designer is targeted (like Calvin Klein) the following season has a good amount of diversity. The problem is it doesn't last more than 1-2 seasons historically.

28-09-2013
V.I.P.

I don't see how you justify the lack of diversity as "representing the designer's image". Whenever I see that, it just lets me know that if I don't fit in the "image" of the brand, I surely won't be purchasing anything from them.

The sad thing is, so much of luxury culture is so popular within the communities of people of color. I can't even tell you how many people I've seen with Isabel Marant sneakers or the Celine bags. I just wish more people would call attention to the fact that we DO make up a percentage of their sales. I think it would be better (although a bit harder) to get people on board of completely boycotting these brands. Then I think they would see how much of their "image" we should be.

I've never understood how all models - regardless of race - in general just don't band together and sit out the shows altogether until they get better rights in terms of hours, pay, etc. I know I'm a bit radical, but history shows us that this is the kind of action that incites change.

28-09-2013
V.I.P.

paris i thought would be a lot better for black models but its not

28-09-2013
fashion elite

^Yup, nothings changed!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastical View Post

The sad thing is, so much of luxury culture is so popular within the communities of people of color. I can't even tell you how many people I've seen with Isabel Marant sneakers or the Celine bags. I just wish more people would call attention to the fact that we DO make up a percentage of their sales. I think it would be better (although a bit harder) to get people on board of completely boycotting these brands. Then I think they would see how much of their "image" we should be.
i'm constantly disappointed in the colored celebrities who openly endorse these brands. They need to be educated cause they're the ones who can make an actual statement about it.

29-09-2013
backstage pass

Could someone help me out here, I'm a little confused, how much power does the casting designers have?

For example at Celine, there was never any black girls (and only 1 asian) for years, but now with a new casting director there are? I know this season there's more of an emphasis on the diversity of runways but I just find it weird how Phoebe never had any diversity but now with a new CD there is, I always thought it was her decision not to have any diversity.

and also, how much of power do stylists have? If anyone could make a hierarchy I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing Designer>Casting D>Stylist?

29-09-2013
Someone's at the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
i'm constantly disappointed in the colored celebrities who openly endorse these brands. They need to be educated cause they're the ones who can make an actual statement about it.
Not sure why the assumption is that they're ignorant as to what's going on. I mean, they sit at the front row. They see it for themselves. They're paying attention to what's hip, what's current, so they're following all these designers I'm sure. The bottom line is that they don't care, as long as the money keeps coming to them for endorsing/attendance/whatever, they'll look the other way because their wealth is more important than social issues. Again, not sure why people don't want to come to terms with this vain fact of celebrity life.

29-09-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly216 View Post
Could someone help me out here, I'm a little confused, how much power does the casting designers have?

For example at Celine, there was never any black girls (and only 1 asian) for years, but now with a new casting director there are? I know this season there's more of an emphasis on the diversity of runways but I just find it weird how Phoebe never had any diversity but now with a new CD there is, I always thought it was her decision not to have any diversity.

and also, how much of power do stylists have? If anyone could make a hierarchy I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing Designer>Casting D>Stylist?
usually with shows of this upper scale, the casting director will see and approve girls that they want. The stylist will then come in and do fittings and start prepping looks. I would say both have a huge say but the casting director has more say because they see the girls and unless the designers have specific girls they want then its all up to them to decide who makes it to the styling process

29-09-2013
V.I.P.

Céline Spring/Summer 2014
Casting Director - Michelle Lee

40 outfits/6 given to non-White models = 15% of outfits given to non-White models

6 non-White models - Chiharu Okunugi, Fei Fei Sun, Grace Mahary, Leona "Binx" Walton, Malaika Firth, Mariana Santana.

29-09-2013
fashion elite

No East Asian models at Givenchy!

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsuchan92 View Post
No East Asian models at Givenchy!
I know! Really weird since this collection was partly inspired by Japan. Even his favorites like Ming and Liu weren't there, strange!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, diversity, modeling, racial