How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-10-2013
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
I think if you have a good head on your shoulders, you can be competitive (which is what the industry positioned the girls to do) but still remain friends - see the difference? If both went for the same casting call and one got the job while the other did not, you still don't need to throw shade on the other girl or vice versa. That's your personal mentality doing that, not the industry. That is where I think the girls could have fought the system.
I think it's a little bit of both. Had the industry not made it impossible for more than one black model to be successful at a time, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Society does somewhat mold people into who they are today. It's easier to look at their situations from afar than to be in their shoes. They were both young girls who had dreams of being supermodels, & they had people in their ear telling them there is only room for one. I could easily see how a naive 17 year old girl could be manipulated by others.

29-10-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Italian Fashion Industry Insiders Party It Up In Blackface At "Disco Africa" Themed Soiree

You'd think the backlash Julianne Hough got for wearing blackface to a Halloween party would discourage others from pulling the same move, but apparently not!

A group of Italian fashion insiders took blackface to a whole new level over the weekend when they showed up to a "Disco Africa" themed party.

Designer Allesandro Dell’Acqua and some friends went as far as wearing minstrel makeup, which was used as far back at the 1800s to depict a stereotyped, caricatured version of Africans for entertainment.

Other costumes were equally offensive with some guests darkening their skin and wearing slave chains.

Yikes.

This couldn't have happened at a worse time, especially when Naomi Campbell and Iman are currently spearheading a campaign to rid the fashion industry of racism.

How could a group of "fashion insiders" get it so wrong?
perezhilton.com/cocoperez/2013-10-28-halloween-blackface-makeup-fashion-disco-africa-themed-party-italy
fashionbombdaily.com

This is the same designer who only cast two women of color, Lui Wen & Xiao Wen Ju, for his S/S '14 show.
No Mixed/Bi-racial or Black models. ...Basically anyone with some African ancestry was excluded from his show.

He knew exactly what he was doing when he wore that black makeup. Trust me he doesn't live in a bubble.

Even I found the Blackface for an African theme party offensive. Made me uncomfortable looking at those images.

Last edited by fashionlover2001; 29-10-2013 at 04:59 PM.
29-10-2013
.my prison is your brain.

^ Let's keep that discussion in the thread that already exists for it in Rumor Has It:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f63...ty-243017.html

Not that it isn't relevant here, but just want to avoid double talk

23-11-2013
V.I.P.

Aside from Chiharu for Celine, Jourdan for DKNY, and Cora Emmanuel for Tommy Hilfiger, the SS14 ads are not very diverse - given, it's still fairly early. I'm wondering if we'll see some non-white models in the massive Prada campaign again?

fashion elite

Hopefully, but probably not. Things really haven't changed in the industry. They might throw non-white models in important campaigns every now and then but its always one girl at a time. They find one non-white girl to work with then move on to another the next season.

_____

Stereotyping and fetishization of black models
Quote:

You can easily tell when appreciation is genuine or just syrupy pretense. For example, one of the agents I’ve known for a very long time, his agency is based in Luanda, he told me that he had read the comments on one of his models. Someone said she had sublime feline features and even called her a “goddess”, but he/she hasn’t warmed up to her beauty yet. How can you find someone interesting and beautiful with their “feline” features and then ultimately conclude that you’re not actually taken by her beauty.

It is not just about the person’s physical appearance alone but their distinct qualities as a model, their personality and above all, their humanity. I’ve seen comments in a forum like “island girls are the best” and “black models are the most exotic”. The context of their appreciation sets a completely different tone. These are are ignorant comments that objectify and reduces the model merely into a stereotype. Fetishizing someone because of their race is never a compliment.
luismenieurmodelmgmt.tumblr

05-12-2013
V.I.P.

CK Pre-fall's token model of color, Imaan, is pretty disappointed considering the casting Maida and Rami brought out for the show last season.

06-12-2013
fashion elite

^Xiao Wen was also in the show! She's a weak choice imo though >.< I'd rather seen Cici being casted instead. But yeah the diversity in the show is still pretty much disappointing since we had quite an increasing number of ethnic models in the last RTW show, which was an improvement.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsuchan92 View Post
^Xiao Wen was also in the show! She's a weak choice imo though >.< I'd rather seen Cici being casted instead. But yeah the diversity in the show is still pretty much disappointing since we had quite an increasing number of ethnic models in the last RTW show, which was an improvement.
I think we can safely say that our fantasy castings do the same if not a better job than Maida and Rami attempted today at CK.

06-12-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaars View Post
I think we can safely say that our fantasy castings do the same if not a better job than Maida and Rami attempted today at CK.
LOL that's fosho It's kinda funny every time we're complaining about the lack of diversity in the CK show, they will be like ummm nope, we still gonna cast an almost vanilla lineup no matter what. Deal with it JK!

V.I.P.

Imaan and Xiao Wen were the only non-white girls at the Pre-Fall show today...

03-01-2014
fashion elite

2/18 ethnic models in the Prada S/S 2014 Campaign! It's getting better right?? JK *sigh* And in terms of Asian models in the Top 50, none of them scored any A-list type of high fashion brands. Well the closest i only saw so far is Liu Wen's, Coach & La Perla

tfs star

^ It's sad. With so many great asian faces and not one in Prada campaign.
Cindy, I thought was perfect casting, but in a sea of white faces she seems like the token woman of color.

Would of loved to see more women of color in that campaign to even everything out.
More shots of Malaika would of been nice.

Why no Fei Fei, Kai, Sung Hee or Santana?
With a cast as big as that adding more diversity would of made the campaign much better.

Last edited by fashionlover2001; 04-01-2014 at 07:53 AM.
04-01-2014
_____

Totally agree, fashionlover.

To be honest, Cindy is a very safe token black girl and Meisel's obviously taken by her. But it's like they've set a limit on which model of colour to keep the focus on per season, but on the other hand, I can't help but think that it's also because of Meisel's blatant favouritism which probably kept Malaika from being in as many shots as Cindy.

11-01-2014
V.I.P.

I'm happy that Burberry decided to feature british models with Indian ethnicity, first Neelam and now Tarun. Not only because besides Lakshmi I can't remember any other Indian model breaking in the industry, but also for the fact that they're a significant portion of England's population. Cheers for that!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, diversity, modeling, racial