How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-02-2014
V.I.P.

This might sound kind of cheesy (I'm not that kind of person to begin with) but what makes me really happy and proud of this community, is the fact that at the beginning of 2013 this thread had 7 pages, and in the past two years, we have added at least 38 pages of discussion, arguments and our grievances about the lack of diversity in the modeling industry. I've always thought to myself that by maybe continuing to have this thread grow, we ourselves can maybe be the change we want to see in this industry. It's obvious that many publications out there have used information from this thread for there "research", so I can only hope this becomes more apparent and hopefully credited in this new year. Cheers to all of us for keeping this thread alive!

21-02-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
Agreed! Mexico is the 11th most populated country in the world, ridiculous that we don't see more Mexican models.

Here's the problem with Mexican models. There are Mexican models but most of them live in the US. They also are primarily commercial models which are the type of models members at the fashionspot seem to dismiss. another consideration is, most Mexican models who are working aren't of Indigenous Mexican culture. They are the ethnically European types because the Indigenous Mexicans are like 4 feet tall and are by no means thin. Usually if there is an Indigenous looking model, she is only half because they are extremely short. Like a lot of Latin American women, they tend to be curvy. All of these factors explain their lack of presence in high fashion. They also don't have a big fashion market. Mexico City is so close to Los Angeles. Most Mexican editorial work is casted in Los Angeles. A lot their campaigns and catalog work are booked through Texan, Arizonian, and New Mexican agencies as well as Los Angeles. If you're really interested in Mexican models you should search those cities. Sure, Mexico has agencies but most of those girls are American and South American girls looking for editorial and runway work. There are too many factors involved with this one. While I don't think it fair with their lack of high fashion presence, there are plenty of Mexican models who work commercially. Most of them are mistaken for some other nationality of ethnic background.

Certain cultures are shorter which is why there is a void. Personally, I think models are getting way too tall. There is no need for 6 feet tall runway models. They don't look any better in clothes than a 5'7" model despite what the industry thinks. A lot of the top models in the 1990s and 1980s weren't that tall. If the industry would allow for shorter models to be on the runway it would give the runways more diversity because certain ethnicities are typical shorter.

21-02-2014
.my prison is your brain.

Not to be rude, but you continue to speak from your personal perceptions in this thread as if it is fact -- just, be careful of that... There are so many antiquated stereotypes in your post there that I don't even know how to respond to you.

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 21-02-2014 at 11:30 AM.
21-02-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Not to be rude, but you continue to speak from your personal perceptions in this thread as if it is fact -- just, be careful of that... There are so many antiquated stereotypes in your post there that I don't even know how to respond to you.
Totally agree with you! I was reading through her comment like

21-02-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Yes, and we should. We definitely don't see enough Indian models either.
This one I don't get because there are lots of tall Indian models. Unlike the Mexican market, there is a huge editorial market in India with a lot of Indian and ethnically Indian models from various countries. Mumbai has a market but the models don't really do well outside of it.

Models like Tamara Moss and Ninja Singh who are well known in Indian have New York agencies but none of them have really made their mark. I think Ninja who is very tall could have done well but I think she is too beefy for a lot of designers. I say beefy because a lot of designer like using very unhealthy models.

Then you have Gia Johnson Singh, Ashika Pratt, Liza Golden who aren't from India and who are only part Indian who have fared better than their Indian counterparts. Ashika did a few shows but I guess at 5'8.5" she was just too short. Liza is still doing shows but unless she starts getting the bigger campaigns she isn't going to make it in high fashion. Then, you have Gia Johnson Singh who is barely 5'8" but does well editorially. She is on the image boards of all her agencies yet after Race Models went under she doesn't work in New York. She also doesn't have at Italian agency despite having landed editorial and campaign work there. with the exception of Liza Golden, I can only think of one other Indian model with an Italian agency. It seems they all get placed in Paris and London, but I guess there isn't much a market for them in Italy or New York. New York is competitive. A lot of agencies don't place models in New York if they aren't going to shows. Instead, the place them in LA where they can still work with most of the same clients. In the US, they are able to get work which is why they keep placing Indian models there but Italy? I don't get because there are a lot of Indian models who can pass for Brazilian, and Brazilian's do very well in Italy. So I don't get why there is a bias. I know models from India tend to be prudish because of their culture but there are a lot of ethnically Indian models not from India.

There is no excuse for this one. I can understand Mexico because they don't have a huge fashion market and their women are shorter and curvier but India who has such a diverse set of women, not being included in Fashion Week or even the world of high fashion baffles me.

21-02-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly216 View Post
Totally agree with you! I was reading through her comment like
Glad I'm not the only one. I am Latino myself and while some of these do apply, I would never go so far as to generalize as intensely as she has.

21-02-2014
backstage pass

I am of Latin heritage and a working model. While I am not Mexican, if you ever been to Mexico the women on average are between 4 feet and 5 feet tall. The Mexican I assume you were referring to and not the European types who are Mexican by nationality but not by ethnicity.

Latin women are sexy and have there own unique beauty. If you think me stating what the industry thinks of them is harsh, you have no idea what this industry is like. Height is something that stops many ethnicities from having a bigger presence in fashion. That's why the industry is filled with Scandinavian and Eastern Europeans Models. The average female height in some of those countires are 5'6" and 5'7". And if you're mad about the 4 foot comment, its not a sterotype look about the average height for Mexico than the average height of certain indigenous backgrounds in Mexico.

What I said isn't a stereo type. Mexican women, despite their ethnic background, are shorter. its a fact. its not racist. its on of the reasons why we don't see so many Mexican models in fashion let alone fashion week. there are lots of parameters why certain ethnic backgrounds and nationalities are represented in fashion.

The same can be said for Cuban models. Most Cuban models are the ones who fled or parents fled the country. Its just another reason why you don't see too many Cuban in the industry. Also its a very small country. Sometimes you have to be practical. Not everyone is going to get a fair chance because the odds are stacked against them.

That was my point and some how your too concern with complaining about something that you think was a stereotype because you aren't familiar with the different backgrounds of Mexicans.

BTW Mexican Women are 5'1" on average. Mexican Indians is 4'6". Sorry about the 6 inches. But half the sites, I was looking at ranged anywhere from 4'2" to 4'8".

21-02-2014
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaars View Post
This might sound kind of cheesy (I'm not that kind of person to begin with) but what makes me really happy and proud of this community, is the fact that at the beginning of 2013 this thread had 7 pages, and in the past two years, we have added at least 38 pages of discussion, arguments and our grievances about the lack of diversity in the modeling industry. I've always thought to myself that by maybe continuing to have this thread grow, we ourselves can maybe be the change we want to see in this industry. It's obvious that many publications out there have used information from this thread for there "research", so I can only hope this becomes more apparent and hopefully credited in this new year. Cheers to all of us for keeping this thread alive!
that wasn't cheesy at all, such a great message that I'm sure we ALL agree with

21-02-2014
V.I.P.

Leila Nda is a supremely gorgeous girl but she doesn't sell Versace like Maria does. Shame she was the token black girl this season. Same can be said for Tian Yi as the only Asian model at the show.

21-02-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelknowledge View Post
Here's the problem with Mexican models. There are Mexican models but most of them live in the US. They also are primarily commercial models which are the type of models members at the fashionspot seem to dismiss. another consideration is, most Mexican models who are working aren't of Indigenous Mexican culture. They are the ethnically European types because the Indigenous Mexicans are like 4 feet tall and are by no means thin. Usually if there is an Indigenous looking model, she is only half because they are extremely short. Like a lot of Latin American women, they tend to be curvy. All of these factors explain their lack of presence in high fashion. They also don't have a big fashion market. Mexico City is so close to Los Angeles. Most Mexican editorial work is casted in Los Angeles. A lot their campaigns and catalog work are booked through Texan, Arizonian, and New Mexican agencies as well as Los Angeles. If you're really interested in Mexican models you should search those cities. Sure, Mexico has agencies but most of those girls are American and South American girls looking for editorial and runway work. There are too many factors involved with this one. While I don't think it fair with their lack of high fashion presence, there are plenty of Mexican models who work commercially. Most of them are mistaken for some other nationality of ethnic background.

Certain cultures are shorter which is why there is a void. Personally, I think models are getting way too tall. There is no need for 6 feet tall runway models. They don't look any better in clothes than a 5'7" model despite what the industry thinks. A lot of the top models in the 1990s and 1980s weren't that tall. If the industry would allow for shorter models to be on the runway it would give the runways more diversity because certain ethnicities are typical shorter.
i casted two mexican models for a show last season, while they are not standing at 5'11 i think they have great proportions. I think you're stereotyping mexican people overall, that reminds me of the Gucci casting directors basically saying we don't book other races because they dont have the right proportions. its such a cop out

21-02-2014
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by intern22 View Post
kind of surprised malaika wasn't at prada. the two gorgeous black models iman and ysaunny don't seem like Prada girls to me. I like them both but they just don't scream prada imo roberta narciso and grace mahary are definitely prada girls to me. does anyone agree/disagree?
Imaan doesn't look Black to me, but she is a person of colour.

And I just want to point out that people in Egypt and Morroco do not consider themselves Black.

Last edited by fashionlover2001; 21-02-2014 at 05:52 PM.
21-02-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelknowledge View Post
Personally, I think models are getting way too tall. There is no need for 6 feet tall runway models. They don't look any better in clothes than a 5'7" model despite what the industry thinks. A lot of the top models in the 1990s and 1980s weren't that tall. If the industry would allow for shorter models to be on the runway it would give the runways more diversity because certain ethnicities are typical shorter.
Some good [see: interesting] points but this one I don't agree with..
There is absolutely a need for 6-foot-tall girls otherwise there wouldn't be any, there are a tonne of them working right now and have been for a long time. A girl who is 6' has a greater chance of making a long gown look better on the runway than a girl who is 5'7", that's 5 inches of proportions lost. To put it into perspective, think of Sasha Pivovarova wearing the same gown as Frida Gustavsson (which is actually closer to half a foot difference), I'm sorry but despite what you've said about clothes not looking better on a taller girl I know who I'd use to accentuate such a piece..
It isn't so much about what the industry thinks because of some myth that's gone viral, it's about what is aesthetically, visually, better.
Also, in the 90s, depending on your definition of "top", there were alot who were very tall (talking specifically 5'11" and up) and fewer who were around 5'7".

I agree though, I think that there is a place for shorter models as well which will of course help to diversify things but most certainly not in place of taller girls.

Last edited by BoeingGuy82; 21-02-2014 at 06:51 PM.
22-02-2014
front row

it looks as if someone on instragram asked iman hammam if she was black and she deleted the question. maybe she isnt comfortable answering questions about her race. that's weird of her

22-02-2014
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intern22 View Post
it looks as if someone on instragram asked iman hammam if she was black and she deleted the question. maybe she isnt comfortable answering questions about her race. that's weird of her
No, what's weird is that someone would ask her that.

22-02-2014
tfs star

Quote:
No, what's weird is that someone would ask her that.
Exactly.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, diversity, modeling, racial