How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-09-2012
V.I.P.

In reality, you could blame casting directors Maida & Rami, who did at least three shows this season (Calvin Klein, Jil Sander and Dior), and none of them had even a single black model. I rarely say things like this, but I think they should be banned from casting shows altogether.

28-09-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore View Post
his aesthetic vision hasn't changed that much, at what point did you realize 'differently'?
Thats the problem. His casting is quite backwards and non inclusive. At this point I think a black girl has a better chance of walking Prada AND Miu Miu before walking Dior. Its quite pathetic.

fashion icon

Don't you guys find it funny how John was fired from Dior because of a racial incident, yet LVMH allows a white washed cast to be sent down the runway? In this case, actions speak just as loud as words.

28-09-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstefaniaAbaddon View Post
What now? Does every show HAVE TO BOOK black models? Positive discrimination is as bad as negative discrimination.
Yes, every show should book black models. Some designer's habit of only casting white models for their shows is problematic because it says they only want white women wearing and representing their label. A black model being chosen over a white model because she's black is nowhere even close to as bad as a white model being chosen over a black model because she's white. History 101

28-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneSkipper View Post
In reality, you could blame casting directors Maida & Rami, who did at least three shows this season (Calvin Klein, Jil Sander and Dior), and none of them had even a single black model. I rarely say things like this, but I think they should be banned from casting shows altogether.
I rarely agree with things like this as well but TOTALLY. I'm usually too focused on the clothes to bother taking a look at the actual models, let alone their skin color, but Calvin Klein's crossed-eyed statement of the 'Calvin Klein' look/beauty was pathetic last season (can't remember what it looked this season), it was impossible not to notice because every girl look exactly the same, even having a bob makes you feel uninvited into the CK world.

Now, yeah, you're not trying to fill up some quota, but it is very telling that in a casting with models of different looks (hell, even nose sizes or hair color), you continue to follow a very narrow pattern of how women should look, especially in a time when fashion gets more and more democratised that the shameless "consume it and perhaps we'll represent you on our runways" argument has no place anymore.

Aside from that, it is also a question of beauty perception... some runways these days truly seem like an updated version of a 1956 showroom, it's ridiculous. The hardest part of the industry is shaking (accessibility to the actual products regardless of background and income), why is the 'surface', which is the presentation, still holding on to archaic standards?.

Back to Raf, he did have amazingly diverse castings for shows (of his own label) back in the early 00s , so this might as well be either the teams he relies on now that he's working for big companies, I wonder just how much freedom he has to employ less 'safe' minds even on financial aspects such as presentation?.. truth is, this narrow way of conceiving beauty even affects non-luxury label designers, like Ann Demeulemeester, whose aesthetic I adore but precisely because it's so strong and defined, it inevitably promotes a physical look many will feel excluded from.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstefaniaAbaddon View Post
What now? Does every show HAVE TO BOOK black models?
What now? Does every show HAVE TO BOOK see-through models?

28-09-2012
front row

every show should have DIVERSITY when it comes to models imo. the world is not white.

28-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalytic View Post
Yes, every show should book black models. Some designer's habit of only casting white models for their shows is problematic because it says they only want white women wearing and representing their label. A black model being chosen over a white model because she's black is nowhere even close to as bad as a white model being chosen over a black model because she's white. History 101
I agree that there should be more black models in shows, but booking a black model for the sake of having a black model is not right either.

28-09-2012
backstage pass

I think maybe the Dior casting was the reason she was upset on twitter.. I mean she's been a Dior regular since Raf joined. Anyways, it's quite unfair to call Raf a racist. He has used Shena Moulton and Roberta Narsico in the Jil Sander spring 2012 show and I remember Joan was at fall 2011. I just think its Maida and Rami's "mood of the season" since they havent used any models of colors at any of their other shows. Dior atleast did have asian girls, I dont remember Raf ever having an asian at Jil or Maida and Rami casting any this season..

V.I.P.

Yes designers can cast anybody they want who they feel fits their collection, that is their right. But in the other hand how can designers expect to create a world wide acclaim fashion house when they only want to showcase/ sell to "white" people. The world is not all white, and white people are not the only ones that buy luxury goods. I would think they would want to attract all types of costumers and show all types of beauty. Beauty exist in all races period, they can find any type of beauty that fits their "aesthetics" in any race. The saying that this and that model doesn't fit the "aesthetic" of the brand is getting old and stupid. Lais Ribeiro, Cora Emmanuelle, Rose Cordero, Jourdan Dunn,Grace Mahary in my opinion fit any type of "easthetic" all these girls can transform incredibly and all look great on the runway but they are all ignored because they are black and don't fit the easthetic of "only white models".

30-09-2012
tfs star

i normally don't care, but i noticed that i was really excited to see so many black models at JPG, and as i was looking at style.com, i realized i was looking and lingering at the black girls and not the clothes. then it made me sad again because there probably won't be another show in paris as diverse (although more asian models will be prevalent).

i have my favorite models and i love tallying and focusing on them and the shows they do, but i can't help but also notice the minority models that i don't really follow. to me, if more shows had consistent diversity, then i wouldn't have to focus so much on the one or two black or asian or latina or other non-white models, and instead focus solely on the clothes or aesthetic.

Last edited by happytrail; 30-09-2012 at 01:46 AM.
30-09-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlabe32 View Post
I agree that there should be more black models in shows, but booking a black model for the sake of having a black model is not right either.
Why not I'm so pro-diversity that if I was casting a show I'd totally want diversity represented in my show.

For example, a designer having all-Asian models in a show is totally different than having all white models in your show because these days it is still rare.

Until things even out I can be pro-affirmative action it doesn't offend me (I myself am a racial minority) and I'm not sure why it should offend others.

The requirements for modelling are subjective and can flip at any point. Looks/weight/height it can be whatever. It's not like hiring firefighters who have to fit certain objective requirements. Whatever model worship on this board I hope people can agree it's wearing a garment and walking down a runway. Who cares if someone is hired for their race when that race is rarely represented in the business. Seriously, it bothers you that much?

Would it upset you if a model got a job because she was black? There's a lot of things to be mad about in this world, that wouldn't make my list. I'd be more upset if a model got a job because she was white..... why? Because it's always happening. White models are not objectively better at modelling. It cannot be the case. I'm pro representing the under-represented. That's breaking a boundary.

Last edited by mint condish; 30-09-2012 at 03:22 AM.
30-09-2012
V.I.P.

^which one do you prefer?

"Ok the cast is complete. Oh crap, we forgot a black model. Let's take her because she's the flavour of the season."

or

"We are booking her because the clothes look so good on her."

Ofcourse, if I were a casting director / designer I would also cast several ethnic girls, but not because I will get criticism about it if I don't, but because I actually like the girl and think she fits my show.

30-09-2012
V.I.P.

I did a research about ethnic girls in CK and JS shows in the recent years, because those are Maida and Rami's biggest shows.

Fall 2010
Calvin Klein: 1 black girl
Jil Sander: 2 black girls, 2 Asians

Spring 2011
Jil Sander: 1 black girl

Fall 2011
Jil Sander: 0

Spring 2012
Jil Sander: 2 black girls

Fall 2012

Spring 2013
Calvin Klein: 0
Dior: 4 Asians and 0 black girls

So if anything, Maida and Rami should cast more Asian girls.

Last edited by anlabe32; 30-09-2012 at 04:34 AM.
30-09-2012
tfs star

wow, Celine was just so diverse,

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, diversity, modeling, racial