Racial Diversity In Modeling #3 - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
21-02-2015
Mystiqably Honed Survivor

^
^That's good. But what we also need are models of color who can open and/or closes the shows too. It's not given as much...

In your opinion what is the significance of opening/closing a show?

What does it say about the model who does indeed open/close the show?

In theory, if the model is the designer's muse or one who embody the collection/mood/style or whatever it may be, then that's a given - however, then what does that say about models of color who aren't chosen for that slot. Granted, we could argue that since the designer/house creators is/are white, then that is who we go for/choose (and the customers are too). Okay, then what does that say when the overwhelming customers/profit is coming from elsewhere that isn't necessarily white? (I'll tell you, what we do is go to their country and host there, of course...) IDK, just a thought...

Should the answer be a no-brainer one? Is there an answer? What does that say about the designer (or whoever chooses the opener/closer). Does the designer have a responsibility in this? (Recently, it's new that it could be the casting directors and/or stylists who are also accountable too. But we're gonna put emphasis on the designer for general purposes.)

No, I'm not making a judgment whether this designer is so and so, but to seriously think this on a deeper level. Or do we not need to?

In other words, can models of color be chosen for a show to open/close that isn't blatantly ethnic themed (meaning they are only relegated to this type of styling/look), and given the opportunity in other regards where they can also represent the brand/mood/look or whatever it may be in the best possible light too? Do we not have enough models of color to express that?

This is not necessarily a rant or complaining - but rather to inquire and seek the root of the problem. If, we have any. Do we not?

tfs star

Though not specifically talking about models and modelling, I thought this piece by Friedman (NYT) relevant to the ongoing topic of diversity. It speaks about the dearth of heterogeneity in top design positions, which perhaps explains the dearth on the runways as well.

It seems logical to me. Apart from the consumers, who essentially have the loudest voice - and as some would say, the 'liberal editors' - if those of us who are keen on, appreciate, and represent the multiplicities of this world are not in positions to share our expressions, can we really hope for voluntary changes in high fashion's pallid, templated landscape?

Fashion's Racial Divide
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/fa...vide.html?_r=0

Solidarity takes place...

Quote:

Watch these girls - Original Series on MDC.
models.com

Last edited by Prymasquous; 26-02-2015 at 02:35 AM.
26-02-2015
trendsetter

Man. I'm starting to think that the lack of diversity in fashion across the board (runway, designers, buyers, etc.) is just what it is and what it will be.

26-02-2015
backstage pass

Gucci was absolutely disgusting. Only one Asian model, two half Asian models, and no black models. Terrible.

nataliaapple, I kind of feel the same way sometimes . It's almost like diversity was just a "trend" the last couple of seasons and now it's out of style again.

I think as long as all the big companies are run by old white males, we're never going to see any real improvement...

26-02-2015
V.I.P.

Moschino did pretty well. 7 black & 3 Asian girls.

26-02-2015
trendsetter

^Jeremy is pretty good about having diversity in both his shows. Cheers to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidee View Post
Gucci was absolutely disgusting. Only one Asian model, two half Asian models, and no black models. Terrible.

nataliaapple, I kind of feel the same way sometimes . It's almost like diversity was just a "trend" the last couple of seasons and now it's out of style again.

I think as long as all the big companies are run by old white males, we're never going to see any real improvement...
Precisely.

27-02-2015
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I think a couple New York shows made an effort to include models of colour in their collections. London also had a number of black models show up thought so far Milan is looking very white hopefully Paris will show some diversity. I actually found that I enjoyed the more diverse shows than the ones with just one race.

27-02-2015

A common purpose...

Quote:

Watch these girls - Original Series on MDC.
models.com

fashion elite

The industry needs to learn how to integrate women of colour on all their runways.

And enough with gimmick and segragating races. It's offensive even for me.
All white cast. All Black cast. And All Asian cast are a joke. It doesn't help the diversity initiative. It just makes a mockey of inclusion.

28-02-2015
V.I.P.

SMH @ Emporio Armani. Only whites and a few Asians, no blacks.

28-02-2015
fashion elite

In Brazil universities and employers legally exercise racial quotas to ensure equal inclusion/opportunity.. Maybe it's about time this was imposed upon casting directors since they are so apparently RACIST.

90% of the Black/Asian models that they do allow to succeed are then subjected to racial tokenism and treated as disposable...

28-02-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
90% of the Black/Asian models that they do allow to succeed are then subjected to racial tokenism and treated as disposable...
This is very true and troubles me a lot. A prime example is girls such as Malaika Firth, Imaan Hammam and Emely Montero not only being treated as token girls, but also being replaced by newer girls such as Aya Jones and Amilna Estevao, when in fact there is no reason why they cannot coexist. This industry is continually pitting MOC against each other and its very worrying...

06-03-2015

Regarding diversity at Wang.

I don't know what's worse...

To have me open your show because of some social media phenomenon or/and not genuinely believing that I'm worthy of neither opening nor let alone, walk your show?

To have me walk today, is that suppose to validate my beauty or existence...for today only?

Of course, this is speculation and food for thought on a deeper level, if you will - and not an attack. Though, it's imperative to address such behaviors.

Also, grouping the black models conspicuously together was disgusting too. Next!

Last edited by Prymasquous; 06-03-2015 at 09:45 PM.
07-03-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prymasquous View Post
Regarding diversity at Wang.

I don't know what's worse...

To have me open your show because of some social media phenomenon or/and not genuinely believing that I'm worthy of neither opening nor let alone, walk your show?

To have me walk today, is that suppose to validate my beauty or existence...for today only?

Of course, this is speculation and food for thought on a deeper level, if you will - and not an attack. Though, it's imperative to address such behaviors.

Also, grouping the black models conspicuously together was disgusting too. Next!
I hate this. It's so disingenuous. I remember Lanvin a couple of season ago had all the black models walk at the end together, and I thought it was ridiculous to say the least.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, #3, diversity, modeling, racial