Racial Diversity In Modeling #3 - Page 4 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
11-03-2015
V.I.P.

how can you give a model (and actors) black face but you can't figure out how to light an actual black model/actor? Thats such a bullsh** excuse. Also, the hair thing is BS too. its 2015 and if you can give a white woman gelled down baby hair, then you can give a black model a chance to be in your show/campaign.

Mert & Marcus/Sebastian Kim/Giampaolo Sgura can all tan a model to brown skin, and then add 10 more hours of photoshop to an image. Im sure you can figure out how to light an image...

Last edited by TREVOFASHIONISTO; 11-03-2015 at 05:02 PM.
11-03-2015
tfs star

I was going to say I don't buy the hair or makeup thing either, as professionals in a field where you'll be working on people you should be trained and know how to work with all different complexions, skin types and hair textures. It's a cop out.

front row

I also find it interesting that casting directors seem to only accept black models with certain facial features in their shows. Joan/Jourdan/Malika/Liya all have had major runway/ success. You will never see Grace Bol/Nykhor Paul/Ajak Deng with the same success. Its almost as if casting directors have to cast a black model so they don't appear racist, they just choose the black model with the lightest skin or the one with phenotypic Caucasian features.

12-03-2015
scenester

It is much more challenging to adjust lighting to showcase certain clothing textures and colours in a non-kitsch manner than it is to adjust lighting for different complexions. Any photographer who has difficulty with it shouldn't be calling themselves a professional...and perhaps pick up a different trade. And to blame technology...in the past they used to use whites to calibrate skin tones and had small lighting ranges, are we supposed to believe they're using cameras such decades old cameras when so many amateur photographers can easily photograph black skin on standard DSLR models?

13-03-2015
V.I.P.

She's not a model, but...
This is HUGE news. Considering it's Dior. And under Raf. Whose runways are, until very recently, extremely white washed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6863034.html

Congrats to Ri Ri. This is such a game changer. Can you see I can't contain my excitement?

13-03-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
This is HUGE news. Considering it's Dior. And under Raf. Whose runways are, until very recently, extremely white washed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6863034.html

Congrats to Ri Ri. This is such a game changer. Can you see I can't contain my excitement?
I don't thing Dior Beauty is under Raf's control. There is no way Dior would let Raf pick who he wants for J'adore. J'adore is a cash cow for Dior. Raf wouldn't have chosen Rhianna, lets be honest.

14-03-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj36 View Post
I don't thing Dior Beauty is under Raf's control. There is no way Dior would let Raf pick who he wants for J'adore. J'adore is a cash cow for Dior. Raf wouldn't have chosen Rhianna, lets be honest.
True, but this will not be for Dior Beauty. This will be for the Secret Garden campaign, which is usually a short film/print campaign showcasing the fashion, beauty and accessories collections. Much like Karl's insufferable films for Chanel. So obviously Raf very much had a say as to who will front it. You'll note that the past Secret Garden girls had been Daria Strokous and Fei Fei Sun, who both ended up getting the main campaigns as well. Rihanna has been wearing quite a few of Raf's namesake designs in he past so she's not really a surprise for me. At this stage it's just a matter of time before she gets the main campaign or replace Jennifer Lawrence, if that isn't silently in the works already.

The real excitement here is that it'll be Steven Klein behind the lens, and not that clinical Willy Vanderperre, or I&V.

Last edited by Benn98; 14-03-2015 at 10:58 AM.
14-03-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
True, but this will not be for Dior Beauty. This will be for the Secret Garden campaign, which is usually a short film/print campaign showcasing the fashion, beauty and accessories collections. Much like Karl's insufferable films for Chanel. So obviously Raf very much had a say as to who will front it. You'll note that the past Secret Garden girls had been Daria Strokous and Fei Fei Sun, who both ended up getting the main campaigns as well. Rihanna has been wearing quite a few of Raf's namesake designs in he past so she's not really a surprise for me. At this stage it's just a matter of time before she gets the main campaign or replace Jennifer Lawrence, if that isn't silently in the works already.

The real excitement here is that it'll be Steven Klein behind the lens, and not that clinical Willy Vanderperre, or I&V.
For some reason I thought she was replacing Charlize as the face of J'adore. If is Secret Gardens than Raf definitely has complete control over that.

14-03-2015
tfs star

It's a shame that the opportunity couldn't have been given (and probably never will) to a model like Leila Nda. I think that she's been the only black regular for Raf's Dior. Instead we have to settle for an overexposed celebrity spreading her image even thinner than it already is.

18-03-2015
V.I.P.

- F/W 2015 SEASON -

Here we present and celebrate the many faces that enticed, intrigued and captivated us with their undeniable beauty, performance and allure - only to seek and inquire their name and eventually obsess.

They are, some of this season's best.

Style.com Top 10 | MDC Top Picks

---

Fresh faces, first season:

The dazzlers, breakout season:

The last words...

all screenshots via models.com

18-03-2015
V.I.P.

I don't think I ever saw this many models of diverse background cluster into one season, like ever.

Interestingly, we have 4/16, for first-timers, that are MOC. And for the breakout stars, we have 4/12 that are MOC.

This is great. A lot of them are in the right position.

Hopefully this will be some indication of a catalyst for change and recognize these moments (but nobody ain't gonna hold their breath for real change, like really). Anyway this inclusiveness is making small steps towards the right direction. That's awesome. May this become a staple and a platform for more undiscovered beauties of diverse backgrounds. And can we expect to see the sheer number of girls making onto this season's list (whether one find it meaningless or not, is another story), translate onto the next season and the following? We could only hope and wait 'til next season.

18-03-2015
V.I.P.

^Fingers crossed!

Aside from the few of obvious contrived moments this past season I was happy in fact to see models of color opening shows at the scale that they did i.e: Amilna opening Rag & Bone, Aamito opening Balenciaga, and Grace opening Hermès. It was also neat to witness the usage of natural hair on the runway, which sparked a lot of interest in both newcomers Lineisy Montero & Karly Loyce. We also got to see Bhumika Arora get some serious attention even though she has been around for year now. Not to trying to glorify these as massive improvements because there was absences of models of color on the runway this season and the industry in general but its nice to see that both Style and Models.com possibly have their most diverse assortment of newcomers. Now lets hope that this is not just some trend (very likely), and these power players that Models.com asked can actually support Lineisy, Amilna, Karly, and Bhumika and actually follow through.

Last edited by TheoG; 18-03-2015 at 07:39 AM.
18-03-2015
tfs star

Really, girl?

Black Supermodel Malaika Firth Wants To 'Ignore' Fashion's Racism Problem

Malaika Firth is one of the few black models that have experienced soaring success in fashion -- an industry that is notorious for its lack of diversity. Therefore it's not far-fetched to believe that the 20-year-old, who became the first black model to land a Prada campaign in nearly 20 years, would understand her lofty position and work to improve the racially imbalanced situation.

Sadly, that's not the case. The Kenyan-born, London-raised beauty presented a few tone-deaf comments about racism in fashion during a recent interview with The Telegraph:
Quote:
The lack of racial diversity is a prevalent issue in modelling but I try to ignore it. If you talk about it and try to make it an issue, then it's still going to be there. I think a lot of people my age don't see the racism, and if we can just carry on trying to do better for ourselves, then I think it will be fine.
How does the saying go? Ignorance is bliss. Well, that seems to be the route that Firth is taking, despite the fact her contemporaries -- like Jourdan Dunn, Chanel Iman and Joan Smalls -- are using their supermodel status to speak out against the lack of diversity.

More at the source

V.I.P.

I don't blame her. She, being a MOC, obviously has experienced some form of racism despite being a Londoner. What she says publicly might not be what she feels, but at the end of the day she needs work as a model and she's not in the position like the other girls you mentioned to speak out about it and risk losing clients. And I wouldn't even consider those models to be supermodels of any sort. we can't expect models to stick their neck out for the cause. I've always said this, we need the celebrities to make waves, cause those are the ones people pay attention to.

18-03-2015
fashion elite

Just to point out Malaika Firth doesn't even considers herself Black. Which she isn't. She's of mixed race.

But can we also focus on VOGUE PARIS.
NO Covers of models of colour since Emmanuelle Alt took over as Editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris since February 2011. NOT ONE!

I'm very disturbed.

Does she not like women of Colour?

Could it be something else? What's going on?

Anna Ewer
Natasha Poly
Daria
Kate
Lara
All these models have had several covers already, yet no Top model of colour have!

Last edited by fashionlover2001; 18-03-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, #3, diversity, modeling, racial