How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-02-2015
trendsetter

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

The persistent must go on...

Quote:

All Models: Ford Models (New York)
Edited by Bethann Hardison
Photos by Hans Neumann (De Facto) for Models.com
Hair: Andre Gunn
Makeup: Tracy Alfajora
Retoucher: Tatiana Chebotareva
Bethann Hardison portrait by Hans Neumann for Models.com
Video interviews by Bethann Hardison
Art direction: Stephan Moskovic
Video editing: Andrea Fumagalli @ Blue Barn Pictures
Producer: Jazmin Alvarez

Watch these girls - Original Series on MDC.

models.com

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 17-02-2015 at 09:29 AM.

16-02-2015
front row

Gotta give props to Zac Posen
ALek Opening and Naoimi Closing.
Grace, Lais, Riley Montana, Ming Xi, Herieth, Maria Borges, and some others I don't recognize.
Didn't like the collection but I doubt you'll see more black models in a show unless Givenchy has an ethnic theme.

16-02-2015
tfs star

Zac usually comes through with a diverse cast, I respect him for that.

backstage pass

Yeah Zac is pretty consistent with having a diverse cast. Also consistent are Diane von Furstenberg and Thom Browne. Rag & Bone also had a nice balance of diversity as well.

18-02-2015
backstage pass

I have this friend who totally doesn't like black people in general. I tried to show her black people who I thought are really beautiful but she still didn't like them. Then, we watched VS 2014 and she actually liked Jourdan Dunn. My other friends did too.

I remember that article about Jourdan a month ago and who knows, if there are people who can see what my friends saw, then maybe somehow the modeling industry will start to have more diversity as well. I mean, I remember someone who said that the fashion industry is the way it is because of the society itself. (Wishful thinking )

19-02-2015
tfs star

I think that fact that your friend(s) dislike black people "in general" is the bigger problem. That often doesn't go away with liking one black model... People who think like that always have 1 or 2 black celebrities they "don't mind" and don't instantly throw into whatever problematic categories they have set in their minds for a whole race of people.

19-02-2015
trendsetter

The message continues...

Quote:

Watch these girls - Original Series on MDC
models.com

backstage pass

I don't think I got my point across properly. I know it's a sensitive topic but I can't exactly explain it in English.

I was trying to convince her that race is not an issue. That's just the way I do things, step by step. I mean, I have another friend who started in that manner of thinking and I convinced her to see things the way I see them. Now she's dating a black guy.

Anyway, back to topic. .. :| sorry

Last edited by simon; 19-02-2015 at 02:27 AM.
19-02-2015
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
I have this friend who totally doesn't like black people in general. I tried to show her black people who I thought are really beautiful but she still didn't like them. Then, we watched VS 2014 and she actually liked Jourdan Dunn. My other friends did too.

I remember that article about Jourdan a month ago and who knows, if there are people who can see what my friends saw, then maybe somehow the modeling industry will start to have more diversity as well. I mean, I remember someone who said that the fashion industry is the way it is because of the society itself. (Wishful thinking )
You know, we cannot blame/fault people for what they like or not like... it's complicated in the sense that every individual's tastes and preferences were/are conditioned - and thus dictated, if you will. In other words, what I mean is that for this individual to not like black people, for example, it's most likely due to the fact of their socialization... Their upbringing, the norms and values that were inherited and acquired, etc. Ė all of these are factors of shaping that individual.

Also, to ask whether why this individual doesn't like black people. We should ask ourselves and I guess that person. Were there any black people in their neighborhood/school or have friends that were black? Were they exposed to black people, other than through the screen? Have they interacted with black people before? What beliefs/notions do they know about black people (prejudice, stereotypes or general info for examples), that may prevent them from knowing them on a micro/personal level? All of these are taken into account to understand why that person doesn't like xyz... It is likely true that our environment and who is in it or not is fundamental for our behaviors and interactions, at least with people.

I think this is common sense for us, no? That who and what we like and donít like is a result of our environment, experiences, exposure, the values and ideas that were passed down from our family, etc. and a big one is through popular culture, all of these images and ideas, etc. Yes, however this is not stagnant Ė human beings are fluid and we are capable of learning and knowing how to embrace, accept, keep or abandon and like and dislike things that whatever we perceive fitting for us or not. Itís a process and can change overtime, or not for some. But that is the thing, we could only do so much because when we were babies, we were already socialized so to speak. And for that, what we've already acquired... we may not want to change. Get the picture? Yeah, it can be complicated when explaining and typing this out.

Anyway, whether an individual already think that white people are only beautiful Ė and they have that set in stone in their mind Ė that goes to illustrate and a reflection of who they've become and their outlook on life, I guess. Itís what they perceive to be beautiful or whatever...

I however just think itís a matter of having an open-mind, really. Itís fine that you are more incline to think your people, for example white people are more beautiful or whatever (that is ethnocentric and we all have a bit of that to a degree) Ė you reason that with your preconceived ideas, beliefs, etc. that were formed/conditioned/socialized throughout life. Okay. Cool.

And sure, people can argue that they've seen all kinds of people in the world (which is unlikely, IMO) and still claim white people, for example, are only pretty, just goes to show their narrow definition or perception of beauty or whatever they find pleasing.

And I donít think we should simply criticize or I guess condemn these people for what they like and their preferences. Or force them to change their views/beliefs. (Try to understand them is the better route.) However, there is a fine line when it is blatantly ethnocentric, racist, overly prejudice or other xenophobic account that has no basis of forming those preferences. Itís okay, we all have our preferences. It surely becomes an issue when the behavioral pattern is saliently disturbing or/and problematic to the general mass population.

To tackle the other point - from my understanding and to quote people is that racism is/was institutionalized. The system is fixed from an earlier point of history (you guess it, white people created it, thus it favors them more and is operated at their hands), and that is what we are operating at/on. How are we going to eradicate or mitigate this? Incredibly and if not, impossible to do so... especially, if we are not acknowledging the issue and unwilling to make changes.

Perhaps itís not the people in the industry that are racist per se or whatever (but thereís definitely some that we've seen), but rather the structure and system of the fashion industry.

And saucer-like made a good point. I was merely talking in general and on an individual level and society as a whole... Iím not sure whether mine apply to the ďdoesn't like black people in generalĒ part...

Personally, I just have to put this off my chest Ė I really detest the usual cop-out of the one liner, Ďitís only business....í Iím sure there are other methods to perform business and to achieve the best and maximize profit...

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
I don't think I got my point across properly. I know it's a sensitive topic but I can't exactly explain it in English.

I was trying to convince her that race is not an issue. That's just the way I do things, step by step. I mean, I have another friend who started in that manner of thinking and I convinced her to see things the way I see them. Now she's dating a black guy.

Anyway, back to topic. .. :| sorry
I believe I get what you're trying to say now. And I can vouch that too.

Like I said on my above post - people who doesn't think like you do, for example, your friend because and due to their shaping of their environment and what they've soaked into their life. Their outlook and their behaviors, in this case your friend, not liking black people is the result of that (I'm just assuming here for our purpose). And the many interaction one has or doesn't have with other people from different race, culture, gender, sex-orientation and all of that... but I'm going a bit off topic. But you get the idea.

If you're simply saying that race isn't an issue. Then you're right, in terms of our humanness and as a conceptual.

But to stress, not everyone hold those view. For example, people who are living in a homogeneous society/culture they are more likely to experience some sort of culture shock or something that is 'too foreign' for them, to accept other views/beliefs or whatever it may be from another different group of people/culture.

And this could still apply to your friend and her black boyfriend, even if they are both of the same nationality.

I think you get the idea.

backstage pass

It really seemed like I didn't get my point across, but I did get your point. I really did and I understood that. Even before you typed it out. I've thought about it before. A lot. Actually.

But my point here is: isn't there something positive, even just a little, about that? Oh boy, this escalated quickly. I prefer doing this face to face. Did I happen to offend anyone, I'm a little worried about that. That's not my purpose in typing that out.

Edit: Haha. I just saw your post after I posted this. Ignore it.

Last edited by simon; 19-02-2015 at 03:00 AM.
19-02-2015
trendsetter

^I think you need to stop beating around the bush and just say it... Clarify it more. Or don't get scared. If you feel like offending, have a disclaimer or that your intentions are not to offend anyone.

Positive in what? The differences in race/ethnicity? Yes. We can all learn a variety from others and the true beauty and meanings of the human race. One race.

backstage pass

Hehe. I just don't like voicing my opinions in social media/ online threads. I get sort of protective of them when I'm not doing it face to face.

Like what I said, ignore my previous post. That was my response to the first one you posted. I concur with some of the things you said. I fully get your point now. Hehe. Cheers. Have a good day! This is what I like on tfs. So many people with wide range of opinion.

19-02-2015
windowshopping

It is refreshing to see more exclusives/semi-exclusives of color on runways this season, probably the only good thing about F/W 2015

21-02-2015
trendsetter

The future prospects...

Quote:

Watch these girls - Original Series on MDC.
models.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, #3, diversity, modeling, racial