How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-11-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXXX View Post
Is anyone living in Korea...what has the reaction and coverage been like? I'm guessing she was a big enough star to warrant lots of attention...?
I don't live in Korea, but alot of my family members and friends live there and most of them don't know her or have heard of her, and according to them only major news networks have given this news some air time. Remember that Korean Entertainment is different from other countries. Each and every celebrity is owned by a studio, and each studio is owned by a particular channel, so you can't really intermix celebrities with each other unless they're in the same channel. Daul Kim never had a contract with any studio since she was an overseas worker, so most channels have not really featured her in the past.

Right now there's a big concert taking place in Korea, one of the biggest concerts of the year, and it's practically overshadowing the news of her death. If you go to one of the biggest and most popular entertainment/news websites of Korea (allkpop.com) you'll see how nonchalant some people are about such her.... You'd think this news would be more important to them than some girl kissing a guy.

21-11-2009
scenester

about the korean media.. what kind of way is that to deal with people? I think it's so depressing to think about.
But it didn't surprise me, about Daul Kim's death. The way of living easy takes you down. guess she couldn't get up this time. but it still bothers me that a person could ever think of taking a life. anothers aswell as your own. it freaks me out.

21-11-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
It has been reported that Daul's boyfriend, who remains anonymous, was the one who reported the incident to the police, since he found her hanged in her apartment in Paris. Results from the investigation suggest that she committed suicide. Daul's mother flew over to Paris after receiving the unfortunate news. Netizens are speculating that this suicide was caused by the pressures of the fashion industry.

nymag

I wanted to focus positively on her legacy rather than some forensic blame game but I'm sorry I'm not having this 'caused by the pressures of the fashion industry' bs.

I'm the first to attack the industry in it's present form but not here. Let's be real - this is lazy and unconsidered tripe pedalled by social conservatives both in Korea and the West. Anyone with half a brain who has spent any time in Daul's blog will know what the truth is.

I'm grateful to Leeroi and Sethii for describing Korean culture and posting 'Say hi to Korean bullies' from Daul's blog. I'll also add the following-

2009/09/03
say hi to ...
i feel frozen
standing waiting for the lights to
change
i hear nothing
i feel
irrelevant
i feel dreamy
it is almost dream like
self created silence
i think about how many other korean girlfriends i know got beat up by their father
i wonder how many nights she went to
bed crying silently
it's almost dream like
it's almost fictional

and...

2009/08/21
say hi to...what my mom thinks of me
my mom sent me an email

"Hello Daul! mother went to see prada exhibition.
do u know rem koolhas? interesting.
i saw this video and reminded me of you because her work is really
not for children. hardcore... is your code no?
her name is Nathalie Djuberg and she is swedish
but lives in berlin. please see her work"

please do follow the link to view the image referred to. In the context it really
is quite a shocking communication-

http://iliketoforkmyself.blogspot.co...nks-of-me.html

Much of the criticism of the 'Korean bullies' focused on Daul's long blonde hair. And how this was an unacceptable image for an Asian woman.

It's a very short time after the two blog entries posted above that Daul commences the process of cutting her hair short and dying it dark again. She begins the process of disappearing.

It is the Daul with the long blonde hair that should be remembered.

21-11-2009
backstage pass

....Rest in peace,Daul Kim.

21-11-2009
V.I.P.

Here's a new article from the telegraph, and excerpts I choose which aren't repeating what we've read before
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...with-work.html

Quote:
"She was an excellent model, but she used to say she had hard times off the job," said one modelling agent who preferred to remain anonymous yesterday.
Quote:
Some posts were stream of consciousness jottings, others resembled a young girl's attempts at poetry. She wrote of her love for her guinea pigs, for the author Tolstoy, how much she missed her friends and her mother, her homesickness and her apparent love-hate relationship with her home city Seoul.
Quote:
Kim, who sometimes called herself Daulmonster revealed a troubled personal life and profound mood swings; she frequently wrote about being depressed, admitted she suffered from insomnia, was often lonely and tired from overwork.
Quote:
In her writing Kim revealed that she had left school with she was around 15 years old, and spent her days hanging out in the apartment of a neighbour who was a famous artist. She also told how she would sleep when depressed, and once stayed in bed for three days. In July she blamed a food allergy for her mood swings. "Why me?" she asked. "I never eat so much junk food, I don't drink like an alcoholic, I don't do drugs, I don't party I'm so quiet and I don't starve myself "
But often, just hours or days after writing that she was feeling down, her spirits would appear to have rebounded.
Quote:
Friends say the constant travelling that she had done since a teenager and the pressures of the fashion industry were beginning to take their toll. She had already announced she wanted to move into painting and video filmmaking.
One friend said she had become fed up with modelling and its demands, considering her life was too frenetic and incompatible with forming the sort of long-term relationship she hankered for.
"Her agency was often trying to get hold of her on her mobile, but she refused to be available all the time," said one.
Her modelling agency and friends said she would be sadly missed. Ahn Seong-Jin, a photographer who often worked with Kim, said she was bursting with ideas and creativity.
"She was able to make various looks and postures on catwalks that can hardly be matched by others. She had an optimum body shape and an amazing capacity to adapt herself to changing circumstances."
In August, Kim wrote on her blog: "I need to learn how to stop destroying myself, stop being hard on myself and be nice to myself." Tragically, it appears, she could not stop herself.

21-11-2009
V.I.P.

note: The 'Bak Hye Lim' in this article is the model we know at tFS as Park Hye Rim.

Quote:
Following the unfortunate news of Daul Kim's death, her fellow friends in the model business have shared their condolences for the 20-year-old model.

Model Hye Bak (real name: Bak Hye Lim) updated the main screen of her minihompy with the headline "Goodbye" and a brief message "You will be sorely missed."

Hye Bak and Daul have appeared on various fashion shows together and even ranked in the Top 50 fashion models on a site called www.models.com.

Model Lee Hyuk Soo (real name: Lee Soo Hyuk) also shared a few words on his Cyworld minihompy: "Daul, you have to be happy."

Lee Hyuk Soo has always maintained a close friendship with Daul.

She's walked for Chanel and been the face of Moschino, and always shared her spunky side in her blog and through her paintings. She was admired among fashion followers for her gorgeous editorials and runways. Daul worked hard to bring environmental awareness and action to the youth of South Korea as the spokesperson for the Korean Federation for Environmental Movement.

Daul has maintained a blog, I Like To Fork Myself. Her final blog entry was titled "Say Hi to Forever" and was posted on the 18th, just one day prior to her passing.

Daul was pronounced dead in her apartment at Paris, France. Although the official cause of her death remains unknown at this time, the local police, who are currently in the process of investigation, presume it a suicide.

The effect of her unexpected and untimely death has undoubtedly come as a great shock and disbelief to many people. It is such a shame that the world has lost an intelligent and beautiful young woman as Daul. Regardless, our hearts go out to her family, friends and fans during this time of sadness.
allkpop.com

21-11-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:

Korean cable channel O'live plans to air some footage from Daul Kim's last interview in a two-part series titled, "Daul Kims Beautiful Twenties." They're airing it as a way to pay tribute to her successful yet unfortunate short-lived career. The series will also feature footage from Daul Kim's participation in this year's New York Fashion Week, which took place in October, as well as stories from her debut days.

The majority of Daul's hour-long interview with MC Suh Eun Young will air in the second episode titled "Kim Daul's Unfinished Words." In the interview, Daul can been seen thanking Suh Eun Young her helping her become a top model in Korea. Daul also stated "Ever since I started modeling, I've been able to make friends." She also went onto say that she was very happy to be part of the fashion industry as the people were very welcoming of her off-the-wall personality.

"Living in Korea is somewhat difficult. But in Seoul, I can feel this energy that I can't feel anywhere else in the world. I think Seoul is even more chic than New York. I feel that Korea is a great country, I'm very proud of Korea."

In regards to her personal life, she said: "I've been working too hard. Right now, I have a tiny apartment in Paris with just a pretty rice cooker. I'm happy I can buy fresh fruits from the local grocer."

Such a tragic event, but maybe this last interview will give us more insight into Daul Kim and what she was going through.
allkopop.com

21-11-2009
In Bloom

I have been thinking a lot about this the last few days. It has hit me so hard because I know what it's like when someone in your family commits suicide. I'm so sad for her mother
I'm also sad in a more egoistic way. I loved looking at her pics. They gave me so much joy - and very few models make me feel good about myself. I'm so sad that we won't be seeing more of her work, because she had so much inside her.

we were in love

21-11-2009
trendsetter

I am Asian and I think the Asian media is one of the most hypocritical in the world. I don't for one doubt that Korean people hated her blonde hair to the point of scrutinizing her constantly about it. We are constantly told by the media that to remain true to our culture, and accept our traditions and how we look, and yet we are bombarded every day that the whiter you are the more beautiful you are. And that skinnier legs like European girls are more beautiful. Have you been to Asia and watched television? Most of the commercials are of bleaching creams and soaps, and then right after wards they talk about being proud to be Korean or Filipino or Japanese or Chinese. And when you ask these celebrities if bleaching your skin is demeaning to their culture, they simply ignore the question.... and you know, many Asians are affected by this issue. We are constantly told by our own parents and people around us that our brown skin is inferior to white skin so we must bleach it to be more beautiful.

In Daul's case, it is ofcourse worse that she is in the public spotlight. I wished someone would have talked to her about her depression, because it was rather apparent from her blog. And the worse part is that whenever she wrote a stanza about being depressed or expressing strong emotions, people comment saying "that's beautiful".

Another thing, in the Korean media, they never call her a "super"model, even Hye Park they didn't call "super"model. they reserved that title to studio owned models who worked strictly in Korea.

Last edited by Leeroi; 21-11-2009 at 12:24 PM.
21-11-2009
backstage pass

I was praying this wasn't true She was one of my favorite models. She was unique and a timeless beauty. She will forever be missed. Rest In Peace

21-11-2009
trendsetter

sethii thanks for the articles.

21-11-2009
front row

This is heartbreaking...not because she was an amazing model, but because it's awful to hear of so much talent and potential ending so early. So sad for her family and friends...and it's horrible that people (ie online bullies, I've heard Korean ones are particularly nasty and she said as much on her blog) put her in the position of having to defend herself and her work.

Ultimately, what I'll really miss- and never forget- was a person who was so expressive and opinionated among a sea of people who just say what they think other people would like to hear. I'll miss her frankness, and how she was unafraid to stand out. I won't just miss her for being lovely or having great style (and she had beauty and style in spades). And I'm always going to keep my old i-D issues that featured her, just to remind myself of what she was like.

21-11-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
and...

2009/08/21
say hi to...what my mom thinks of me
my mom sent me an email

"Hello Daul! mother went to see prada exhibition.
do u know rem koolhas? interesting.
i saw this video and reminded me of you because her work is really
not for children. hardcore... is your code no?
her name is Nathalie Djuberg and she is swedish
but lives in berlin. please see her work"

please do follow the link to view the image referred to. In the context it really
is quite a shocking communication-

http://iliketoforkmyself.blogspot.co...nks-of-me.html
I found that post to be and example of how the relationship was good between daul and her mom. seems like her mom knows daul well and understands her and wasn't insulting her in any way. if you look at the end of the post it is a picture of her and her mom together smiling and it had positive feedback from everyone who read it.

21-11-2009
front row

Daul Kim was so funny so chatty and intelligent so obversely beautiful . R.I.P

21-11-2009
trendsetter

evrything that leerol said is sooooo true

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
daul, kim, rip