How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-11-2009
V.I.P.

She didn't have to die. I mean it wasn't her fate. Plenty of times she wrote about how happy she felt. We shouldn't see every thing she said, did and wrote as some kind of trail leading to the suicide - that simplifies who she was. Tragically she did die, but people who suffer what she did can get better in the right environment with the right help.

23-11-2009
tfs star

really extremely sad

23-11-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethii View Post
She didn't have to die. I mean it wasn't her fate. Plenty of times she wrote about how happy she felt. We shouldn't see every thing she said, did and wrote as some kind of trail leading to the suicide - that simplifies who she was. Tragically she did die, but people who suffer what she did can get better in the right environment with the right help.
Thanks for pointing that out!
I totally agree with everyone: it's increadibly sad and I cannot even express how overwhelmed I was by these news. And of course, we don't know how her "inner-life" looked. How she felt and what lead her to this drastic (and tragic) step. But still I think we should keep her in our minds as the happy and powerful girl she always seemed to be (at least to me).

front row

my heart goes to her. RIP Daul..

backstage pass

I feel so sorry...it's a huge loss...RIP Daul Kim

[img]http://i84.************/u/f84/12/34/55/64/daul11.jpg[/img]

from my blog

rising star

Quote:
Last week, 20-year-old model Daul Kim was found hanged in her Paris apartment by her boyfriend. Police are investigating her death, but believe she committed suicide. Authorities, Kim's friends and family, and reporters are trying to figure out why Kim might have wanted to kill herself. At their disposal is her blog, iliketoforkmyself, which was open to public viewing when we last checked on Friday but has since been changed to invite-only, perhaps in light of the ongoing investigation.
Kim frequently wrote about feeling lonely and tired from being overworked, battles with insomnia, and mood swings. When she launched the blog, she said the title had nothing to do with wanting to harm or kill herself. In one of her first posts in April of 2007, she wrote, "My life as dual was so miserable and lonely. Please join my loneliness in another world. I love you all." Later she added, "KIDDING. I'm fine. Just tired." In July, she wrote that her mood swings were a result of a food allergy: "Why me? I never eat so much junk food, I don't drink like an alcoholic, I don't do drugs, I don't party I'm so quiet and I don't starve myself."
A model agent who wished to remain anonymous told the Telegraph, "She was an excellent model, but she used to say she had hard times off the job."
One friend said she had become fed up with modelling and its demands, considering her life was too frenetic and incompatible with forming the sort of long-term relationship she hankered for.
"Her agency was often trying to get hold of her on her mobile, but she refused to be available all the time," said one.
Just a few weeks ago, Kim shot an ad campaign for Karl Lagerfeld's latest line of Chanel handbags. She had been described as Karl's new "muse."
from NYmag

23-11-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zehenspitze View Post
anybody knows who her mother agency was? I am a mother agent myself, we obviously read the blogs of our girls (if they have one); if I saw such a blog by one of our girls, I would have rang the alarm bells big time and permanently
excellent point.
i think all agencies should start doing this practice.

23-11-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijuyanah View Post
Thanks for pointing that out!
I totally agree with everyone: it's increadibly sad and I cannot even express how overwhelmed I was by these news. And of course, we don't know how her "inner-life" looked. How she felt and what lead her to this drastic (and tragic) step. But still I think we should keep her in our minds as the happy and powerful girl she always seemed to be (at least to me).
Yet I don't think anyone remembers her for other than that. Unfortunate things happened but that never took away her spunk or creativity which were some of the things that made her a powerful girl. I mean, I think that because of her impeccable style and unique personality, she had longer staying power than many other models that are out there right now. Again, it was an unfortunate series of events that led to such a tragic ending but the essence of the girl is still the same inspiring one. I don't think that people see her as less inspiring just because she did what she did. I don't think she was a quitter, I just think that her pain must have been unbearable and uncomfortable. No matter what I think that to most of us that actually did follow her career for months and years, she will still remain that one of a kind Korean girl that always made you smile and always inspired you to think forward.

23-11-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse View Post
excellent point.
i think all agencies should start doing this practice.
I definitely think there needs to be someone who 'cares' about the models within an agency, kind of like a human resources department in a regular job. It must get so lonely sometimes, especially because of language barriers and unfamiliar customs. I think everything is glossed over too much.

23-11-2009
girl with the most cake

Oh my god, I've just heard about that today and I'm shocked!
RIP Daul, such a beautiful girl and an incredible model... we'll miss you

23-11-2009
front row

i spent some time reading her blog the 18th, out of the blue. she's hilarious. uncanny she was gone the next day.

why though? she could have quit except to illustrate her lovehate for fashion industry was just that great i guess.

frockwriter
breathtaking.

23-11-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbella View Post
I definitely think there needs to be someone who 'cares' about the models within an agency, kind of like a human resources department in a regular job. It must get so lonely sometimes, especially because of language barriers and unfamiliar customs. I think reverything is glossed over too much.
it's the intrinsic duty of the mother agency - obviously up to a certain limit, a mother agency does not substitute family, friends, social context, psychologists. However, if a girl can't cope with the fashion week challenge in terms of stress (come on, nobody needs to be an Alexey Stakhanov for that) and AT THE SAME TIME writes such necrophilic essays on her blog, a mother agent must immediately stop this girl from continuing to model if the parents don't do it - whether she is an upcoming star or a not

Last edited by zehenspitze; 23-11-2009 at 05:49 PM.
23-11-2009
windowshopping

R.I.P, Daul! You will be missed!

V.I.P.

Some beautiful Daul pictures
I know its shallow but this is how I want to remember Daul..
Beautiful.. and glowing

scanned from a korean magazine

abacausa

abacausa

elle

neiman marcus

23-11-2009
V.I.P.

Beautiful Daul -R.I.P
-These are the second last pictures! I just felt some of the photos in this thread did not do her justice. She was beautiful and seemed happy!

Source:esteem

source: interview for vogue korea

Daul for MAC

elle.co.kr

Last edited by WerbowyStegner; 23-11-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
daul, kim, rip