A Supermodel? No Thanks - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
20-03-2005
V.I.P.

Good article. I can certainly empathize with the the author and her experiences. People can tell you not to take it personally, but that's easier said than done. With constand criticism you need pretty thick skin to just be able to say, "well I wasn't what they were looking for".

20-03-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho-Coture
She did quit, because the risk wasn't worth the reward for her. A lot of young girls do take this things personal, for them it's very crucial, how are they going to survive if they don't have any money. To them they have to whatever they can and be whoever the industry wants them to be to survive.

The article was very interesing but nothing shocking or suprising. I can't believe some people (even on this boards) are still very naive about the fashion industry. Good luck to her and the other aspiring models.

I understand that she quit. I guess I'm using "she" to represent all of the girls that I've lived with that are constantly complaining.

And yes, this girl, Gemma, did quit..but no one said she had to endure as much as she did. She could have stopped long before she did.

Everyone's modeling expirience is different, I'm aware. But no one is going to be happy doing something they dont truly enjoy. That goes for any job.

And I'm not saying I'm the most self assured person/model out there. As anyone that knows me personally, I have plenty of my moments worrying about my weight/hair color/whatever. But I have learned that I can't be liked and used by every client I have met. That's just silly.

Last edited by AlmostFamous; 20-03-2005 at 11:59 AM.
20-03-2005
daisy in my lazy eye

This part quite shocked me I can hardly believe it, agencies who weigh their models on a daily basis. That's like the main ingredient for an ED, seriously. (you don't hear me saying that it applies to everyone)

Quote:
All the girls at my agency were weighed and measured on a near-daily basis. Some were 'advised' not to eat - for brief periods, of course. I was once dangerously close to exceeding the 90cm hip measurement stated on my contract and told to try the 'hard-boiled egg diet'. I retorted that I preferred to stick to the 'balanced diet', but it fell on deaf ears.

Obviously eating disorders are rife, since the ability to earn money is dependent on remaining thin. One close friend at my agency in Japan almost lost her life to anorexia. On my next trip I learnt that she had since been back to Tokyo to work. I asked my manager how she was doing, to which he replied: 'Oh, you know, she still only eats Mentos'.
I agree with AlmostFamous on the 'never take it personal' rule. I mean, the part where she tells she had to cry at a show because of her mom who was in the hospital, then two stylists walked past her and called her a drama queen, doesn't that happen every day on a regular highschool? A lot of girls seem to 'need' to hurt others every once in a while, but they don't really understand or mean whát they say then.

20-03-2005
rising star

Perlefine... who is that in your avatar?

21-03-2005
tfs star

true story
yes "Learnt" is a word. it's a synonym to learned.

whether we would have done exactly what that gemma did if we were in her shoes is not so important.
what is important is that she told the truth about EDs & drug abuse in the business.
any aspiring teen model should read that.
YES there are exceptions to the drugs and ED rule but with the UNHEALTHY weight demands of most agencies [including top ones] what she depicted is more true than not. and with all due respect to the younger / purer new models out there, I think if youre exposed top the worldclass model world for a few years incl all top shows, mags, designers, photographers, etc you will see a lot more of drugs & EDs than you can even guess.
so that article is accurate, if scary & depressing too.

dont blame the messenger. her message was accurate overall.

Last edited by lady grey; 21-03-2005 at 12:20 AM. Reason: why dont american mags talk openly about this?
21-03-2005
princely

Are things generally worse in Paris than in New york? just wondering....

I just find that disturbing to wake up to come out of your room seeing your roomates all doped up around the couch but i guess thats normal...

21-03-2005
backstage pass

i dont think anyones arguing that drugs and EDs arent rampant within the industry, but everything is avoidable. modeling has got to be the strangest profession on earth. you're never home, almost never with the same people, and always seeking some kind of companionship within the short time you stay in one place. if you dont keep your feet on the ground its easy to get swept away by the lifestyle.

21-03-2005
daisy in my lazy eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adore
Perlefine... who is that in your avatar?
Sarah Deanna

21-03-2005
poo
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by *EllaH
And you can say learnt or learned, learned is more common in american english.
I think learnt is the proper past tense, american english is a bit

and yes i think gemma clarkes aussie?

21-03-2005
I love model_mom!

I think that the article is very well written and very true. Pressures in the modeling industry often take a psychological toll on models. Yes, I agree there are some models who may not be affected as much as others and those are the lucky ones. I have read many quotes from top models who say that they do not love their jobs, but are in it for the money and they realize what an opportunity it is. That is something that each model must weigh.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend
Are things generally worse in Paris than in New york? just wondering....

I just find that disturbing to wake up to come out of your room seeing your roomates all doped up around the couch but i guess thats normal...

haha I know more doped up non models that I do models.

Paris is "worse" as far as they are the most strict when it comes to being very tall and very skinny. But each city has their own "look".

31-03-2005
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFamous
I understand that she quit. I guess I'm using "she" to represent all of the girls that I've lived with that are constantly complaining.

And yes, this girl, Gemma, did quit..but no one said she had to endure as much as she did. She could have stopped long before she did.

Everyone's modeling expirience is different, I'm aware. But no one is going to be happy doing something they dont truly enjoy. That goes for any job.

And I'm not saying I'm the most self assured person/model out there. As anyone that knows me personally, I have plenty of my moments worrying about my weight/hair color/whatever. But I have learned that I can't be liked and used by every client I have met. That's just silly.
It's not easy for someone who's got hopes about any kind of job to just quit when they aspire for something better in the future. And it's part of being mature to be able to thrive under the pressure of a professional environment. Quitting every job that makes one unhappy is unrealistic - one day they'll have to adapt to the reality of things and settle for whatever they take. Nonetheless, in this Gemma person case, she soon realised that the modelling business wasn't for her - and she was able make a choice (as I assume some girls aren't). I'm sure that her job as a sports journalist isn't all perks, but since she likes it, she can endure the difficulties. In the real world, people usually have to keep up even when things aren't the way they like, because they believe it might get better someday.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
supermodel