How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-06-2010
External Optimist

I don't think there's any point at looking at the past. It was a different time with different circumstances that I doubt will ever be repeated again (though I hope I'm wrong). I tend to think that there is only so much spotlight for those that reach "celebrity status." During the Supermodel era, celebrities stepped back on the glamour and the supers stepped in. At the time, Christy Turlington was much more interesting than say...Laura Dern. Even today begs the question: Why should the general public embrace Karlie Kloss when there's an Eva Mendez in existence?

And there's nothing wrong with going back to the supers. It's a different world, a different way of thinking. There are icons for every age group now. And does it really make sense for a 40-something year-old consumer to idolize Freja when she can better relate to someone that's her own age? Frankly, I think this is a healthier way of thinking.

And blaming the supers for younger models getting less attention is absurd. Yes, today, the world is much bigger with more designers and more models but as there is plenty of room for the Meryl Streeps and the Kristen Stewarts to co-exist in Hollywood, I believe there is room for the Linda Evangelistas and the Raquel Zimmermanns to co-exist in fashion. The Meryls and Lindas have their moments in their latter years but it's not like they're dominating the scene on a regular basis. I believe there is room for both the new icons and the legends to co-exist in the same work environment.

But back on topic...I DO and WANT to see someone like Adriana, Lara, or Miranda hitting "super" status but part of the problem is the infighting between the high fashion crowd and VS crowd. There is an internet world that exists now as it certainly did not during the super era and many professionals gauge what's happening here on the net. When they read about the whole "my country's model is better than yours" or "Adriana looks trashy" or "so-and-so is too thin", some agents and reps take this to heart. Sort of reminds me of today's US politics...so much divisiveness and nothing gets accomplished.

23-06-2010
V.I.P.

I think there should be a space for everyone... I absolutely don't mind the new girl... what irritates me is that they are trying to push them too hard into that supermodel league? Do they really need that? These are not type of girls who you see in a public spotlight very often... and they don't have to be as long as they do their great modelling work...and some of them do fantastically well.

At the end of the day, for me, it does not really matter whether or not Freja or even Lara or Natasha Poly are recognised by Fashion consumers... some of my friends who spent most of their money on designer clothes don't even know who Daria or even Carmen Kass (one of my all time favourites) is... Carmen who has been at the top of the business for almost 15 years (they would refer to her 'oh this girl from Max Factor commecial')... So this is when the commercial interest kicks in... Supermodels obviously sell... I have no numbers or figures but it is quite obvious that they do... plus we live in the times of recession when designers struggle to sell... and let's not forget supermodels back in 90's started in the times of recession... so I guess there are some commercial incentives to bring them back... but again I WOULD LOVE TO SEE AS MUCH DIVERSITY AS POSSIBLE... I hate when editors or designers get obsessed with one model or another... FASHION SHOULD BE ABOUT SOMETHING NEW... AND NEW DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN BRINGING IN YOUNG MODELS OR NEW FACES... they can always reinvent looks, etc.

Moreover, the work that SUPERS do today is quite different from what they did back in 90's but you can't deny that models like Kristen, Shalom, Helena, Amber, Eva, Christy, Claudia, etc, fit in the current climate perfectly well and they would have done so back in millennium years as well but the priorities where different back then... and let’s face it they don’t get as much work as new girls do...

I think to be recognised is important today and that is why we have so many covers featuring celebrities... I prefer seeing Lara or Freja or Natasha 1000000 times more over the most of celebrities... but again the factor of being recognised and related to matters...

Last edited by KissMiss; 23-06-2010 at 03:36 AM.
23-06-2010
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I think designers/editors, instead of underestimating the newcomers, throwing samples at them and setting ridiculous requirements like they're just robots and literally going back in time looking for relics every time something's missing, they could take a good look at the past, understand why it worked then, then take a look at the present and finally imagine a future.
This is exactly my feeling, Mullet.

I find it incredibly frustrating when I see a girl with so much potential adored her first season, then thrown to the wind her next. I see so many models with whom I can see endless possibilities. But I can't stand it when she's tossed aside and never to be seen again (unless it is by her own will, of course). The issue is not whether this girl has a look capable of longevity, it's rather a question of why she is not given a chance at longevity.

front row

To me there are different levels of model status.

Supermodels are the top of pack. Best of the best. And I don't think being a supermodel is all about how much modelling work you get, it's really how recognizable you are and being a 'celebrity' plays a big part in it. People like Naomi, Gisele, Linda, Kate, Christy, Claudia, etc. But then you also have people like Tyra Banks and Milla Jovovich who could be considered supermodels but most people would consider them to be 'celebrities'.

Then you have girls that are almost-but-not-quite supermodels. These would be girls like Raquel, Natalia, Lara, Natasha, Carmen, Daria, etc. These are girls that I think could be considered supermodels, but they aren't quite yet on the same level as the ones mentioned above. Then you have girls like Adriana, Doutzen, Alessandra, etc. who also could be considered supermodels. Very many people know who Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio are, infact, whenever I mention their names people know who i'm talking about nearly every time. To me, these are the 'supermodels' to today's younger generation. And I think 5 years from now, these girls will be already be on the same level as Gisele, Kate, and Naomi.

I would say Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, and Lara Stone will become bigger supermodels in the next few years for sure. Especially with alot of the VS girls making a return to high fashion. And believe it or not, I know quite a few people who actually know who Lara Stone is. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley I think also has potential to become a supermodel, after people see her in Transformers 3 in the leading role, nearly everyone will know who she is and everyone in fashion will want her to be the face of their product.

Anyways, after the almost-but-not-quite-supermodels, there's the 'top models'. These are girls like Karlie, Sasha, Anja, Isabeli, Coco, Jessica, Lily, Caroline, etc. who are at the top of the 'top models' and then you have girls who are more on the lower level of that spectrum like Jac, Magdalena, Jourdann, Kasia, Catherine, Constance, Abbey Lee, Maryna, Snejana, etc.

Then, below that you have the well established models like Tao, Sigrid, Anna S, Jacquelyn, Frida, Siri, Ginta, etc. Girls who are very well known in the modeling and fashion world but hardly at all known by the public (except for fashion followers)

Thenbelow that you have girls that only last a few years and don't make much of an impact, as well as the newcomers.

Sorry this was kinda of poorly written, it's late and i'm tired so I couldn't gather my thoughts correctly but you get my point. That's how I think things work and certain models have to climb their way to the top to eventually reach supermodel status. All of the supermodels were at one point in the 'well established' and 'top model' group before becoming supermodels.

Last edited by iRyan; 24-06-2010 at 01:07 AM.
24-06-2010
fashion icon

I think iRyan explained the hiarchy of the supermodel world perfectly. Their does seem to be a level to how popular a model is and who is given supermodel status. What I think we need to remember is just because we love one model's work doesn't mean that everyone else will (by everyone else I mean the media and those who don't follow fashion) so it does help to bank on someone completely recognizable. Although, as much as I love the supermodels of the 90's I wish that we would have a new crop of supers pop up too, this time with more diversity in their ethnicities and countries of origin. This way more people are equally represented within the world of fashion and supermodels.

25-06-2010
Unveil Yourself....

I've given this a lot of thought recently and it's highly plausible that the actual supermodel will never return. But there is something else going on in fashion and modeling right now at this very moment. There seems to be this epic shift in beauty standards. As we've seen the pre-teen waifs come and go, alien look-a-likes leaving the runways again and the 'intelectual beauty' practically disappearing from the scene, there is finally something new going on. Well, not new of course, cause history always repeats itself. Today we are whitnessing the return of the mature, strong, womanly model. Prada sent out a collection focusing in the female shapes (boobs!) and Vuitton soon followed. And as we all know, suddenly all those so called commercial models were filling up those particular runways and now the campaigns and magazines. Alessandra, Adriana, Miranda, Ana Beatriz, you name them, suddenly they are high fashion's biggest stars. And I blame the economy.
When there's an economic crisis, brands need to speak to their customers in a more direct manner simply to sell more in harsh times. Crazy conceptual beauties don't fit that aesthetic. In your face beauty is the answer. The resurgance of the 90's models in the past few years were announcing this already.
But seriously, and I really mean this, Lara Stone started a new future in the era of models and beauty. The entire fashion world is reacting. Wether it's Laetitia Casta opening Vuitton, Stella at CK or friggin Vanessa Hessler at Prada (LOVED that) the standards for beauty and the 'ideal woman' are changing. Even in the new girl generation it's noticable. Constance has boobs and sex appeal, Samantha G has boobs, is 20 years old and opened Prada (hello!) etc etc. And maybe this more in-your-face womanly beauty will result in a small rebirth of the supermodel. Cause with more relatable/desirable faces come more relatable/desirable names and eventually people.

twitter.com/ErikP87
29-06-2010
fashion insider

in the age of cindy crawford, naomi campbell, linda evangelista & christy turlington- among many other iconic faces- we've seen the damaging effects of giving a supermodel too much power. though i love naomi for a number of reasons- she really became the stereotypical diva model b*tch that people thought of models. & this ego of hers was blown up by the industry- so after that the industry began to scale back & try to book girls that looked the same- much like robots. colorless, void of a voice & personality- in an attempt to push focus on what it should've been on in the first place- FASHION, its understandable that exposure & modeling has shifted.

that said, everything happens in cycles & i feel like fashion is going back into an age where they want female faces to define beauty for them. though dangerous, our fame obsessed public demands this- directly & indirectly. time will tell- will jessica stam ever be as widely known as cindy crawford? i doubt it. but maybe someone else down the line will. i think its important that we understand that these things cannot be calculated; cosmically they happen. thus stars are born.

29-06-2010
clever ain't wise

^I don't think the stature of the supermodels was something that needed to be reduced in order to make place for fashion...no, I think that once it became clear how much more attention designers were getting when you hyped up the models the next step was simply to get that same boost with celebrities instead.

05-07-2010
flaunt the imperfection..

i think that if we could FIND supermodels these days...
they would have been back already....

they arent out there...

there is no helena christensen hiding out there...
no nadia auerman...no cindy crawford... no linda evangelista...

i think we would all LOVE to have that back...
but no one can find it...

they were runway, editorial, and commercial...
everything all rolled into one...
they weren't just supermodels...they were practically superhuman...
larger than life...AMAZONS...

it's not easy to find that ...it just isn't...

Last edited by softgrey; 05-07-2010 at 02:25 PM.
05-07-2010
clever ain't wise

I think they are. It's the attitude toward models that has changed - or so it seems to me. I would guess it had to change in order to get rid of the supermodels and now when they are wanted back again - the modeling industry seems to have changed so that it basically does not allow models to become women, especially not smart women.

I remember the story of how Norman Parkinson found Celia Hammond...the modeling agency she was at barely had her employed because she was on the large side...but he instantly saw her potential. He started using her for nearly all his British Bazaar features and she eventually was convinced to become more fit - though it wasn't extreme because the 60s were not as extreme as now.

Now a modeling agency wouldn't dream of having someone like that at their agency, I'm sure, certainly not show her to one of the biggest photographers...

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 05-07-2010 at 04:52 PM.
05-07-2010
daisy in my lazy eye

^ I think you hit the nail on the head. The industry favors youthful models over women. They're not so interested in seeing their adulthood unfold, maybe it doesn't sell as well?
Models who make it their profession also have a very different take on the job as opposed to the girl who's still in school or trying her luck for a while to make $$$. An example how even an established model can lose a job: Kim Noorda preferred not to have her eyebrows bleached at Bottega Veneta last season, she was sent home and they called in another girl. Probably lesser known though I don't know who.
I think internet is also a big factor, if not the biggest?, in the change of the industry's landscape. Many, many agencies are constantly fueling the industry's turnover rate with their latest finds. And since the industry favors youthful models you can expect to see 16-year-old models replacing each other as part of the routine.
There's such a big gap between the old supers and the current regulars of the industry like Lara, Daria, Natasha and Raquel. Only a very select few seem to be able to withstand the test of time and trends. Besides those two groups it's a big ocean you have to try not to get lost in.

05-08-2010
front row

I agree with a lot of the points made in this thread, and I also want to say that I think a big contributing reason to why there are no 'supermodels' anymore is because a huge gap has formed between what fashion-interested people think make a great model and what the general public think make a great model.
Back when the Supermodels were in full force I think that everyone was sort of in agreeance with WHY the top models were top models. The beauty in Christy, for example, was not hard to see for everyone from the average housewife to a fashion photographer.
Nowadays, with the emergence and popularity of 'alienesque' 'statuesque' and whatever other trends have made themselves popular, there is a bigger gap between what is considered 'beautiful' by everyone. I know many people who think todays models are 'ugly' and it's not just girls like Lindsey Wixson they are talking about - they say it about Sasha, Lara and Freja as well. And yet, these are some of the girls who are getting the most work in the industry right now.
As well as that, I also think that there are so many negative connotations that come with the world 'fashion model' now, people think 'photoshopped' 'anorexic' 'bulimic' 'drug addict' whether they are applicable or not.
And lastly, this has already been touched on in the thread, but i feel that girls these days aren't sticking around long enough for anyone to find out if they could be supermodel material. And the ones who ARE sticking around long enough go nameless to a lot of people who don't follow fashion/modeling. Add on to that the fact that in most cast cases designers don't want girls to show personality on the runway, and prefer them to simply just be a clothes hanger, there is little to no hope for the models of today to become supermodels, at least on in the way we have seen before.

External Optimist

^Some great points. Thanks.

I also want to add that it's a whole different game today with the emergence of the internet and its rapid saturation effect. People today have shorter attention spans, a high level of impatience, and want something fresh and new at a rapid pace. Sort of like a mass deviated form of ADD. All that said, when a new book of fashion is written several years from now, the post-super era standouts of today will be included, although the public-at-large won't likely know their names.

09-08-2010
fashion insider

I think today's society isn't too concerned about model names, but would definitely recognize many faces. The top models of the current time aren't household names, but a lot of people would recognize them if you showed them a picture. If you walk into a mall, you can see Sasha Pivovarova everywhere (Gap, H&M, department stores, etc.). When I just started getting interested in fashion, I heard Daria Werbowy's name but didn't know who she was. When I saw a photo, I recognized her right away as the girl in all those beauty ads.

V.I.P.

I don't think you know who Daria or Sasha are if you are not at least remotely interested in models... not only fashion... bcos there're millions of Fashion customers and not many of them will even know who Natalia Vodianova is... and I think after Gisele she is the most recognisable model... or even Angela Lindvall or Karen Elson...
I think it helps when models have a lot of coverage in fashion magazines... and not only Vogue... some people think that being on the cover of Vogue makes you a supermodel but that's not true... in the 90's models used to be on ELLE, Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan (even though it is not a fashion mag), Glamour, etc... so all kinds of readers could read about them...they were more accessible
Now models are only on Vogues (hardly any on the covers of US Vogue) or Bazaar... the rest belongs to celebrities... they are also on some other fashion magazine but very specific ones with a very specific set of readers...
Being featured in the adverts helps but at the end of the day our memories do not contain as many visual information... it is more what we read and hear...

Last edited by KissMiss; 09-08-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
rebirth, supermodel, time