How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-03-2006
backstage pass

Supermodels of the 70s
I was wondering..Who were the supermodels of the 70s. I know there was Janice, Gia, Iman, and Beverly. But who else? Can you correct me if I'm wrong?

27-03-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Flip246
I was wondering..Who were the supermodels of the 70s. I know there was Janice, Gia, Iman, and Beverly. But who else? Can you correct me if I'm wrong?
There was a certain Barbara too(from Germany) and she appeared for years in all magazines,she was very skinny but particular beautifull.But I have no picture of her,who knows more and has pictures of '70 models?

27-03-2006
backstage pass

What's Barbara's last name?

27-03-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Flip246
What's Barbara's last name?
I dont have no idea.I know she was from Bavaria (GE),she married a French man and was living after marriage in Paris.She was in Burda,Vogue,Brigitte,Marie Claire,and everywere!She mostly had her brown hair short in pagecut,was appr 1m75 for 49 or 51 kg.I do not know if she did catwalks or only fashionpictures and advertisings for magazines.

28-03-2006
front row

also UGh Chrisite Brinkley,Apollonia Von Ravenstein,LAUREN HUTTON who got the first million dollar Revlon contract

01-08-2006
clever ain't wise

This is a list over some of the 70s models. I have no idea about their agencies, and some of the nationalities could be wrong. Nonetheless it's clear that the US is overrepresented here, as opposed to now

Lauren Hutton (US)
late 60s to late 70s. Huge - Vogue's favourite covergirl for quite some time.

Karen Graham (US) late 60s to late 70s. One of the Vogue favourites and had huge cosmetics contracts.

Penelope Tree (UK) late 60s to early 70s model, shot mostly by Bailey. Her success was, for the most part, in editorials.

Jean Shrimpton
(UK) early 60s to early 70s. Although the 60s were her heydays she still shot some editorials and covers in the early 70s.

Twiggy (UK) mid 60s to late 70s. She was definitely the biggest model of the 60s, and maybe the biggest ever, and continued through the 70s somewhat.

Gunilla Lindblad (SWE) early-mid 70s. Swedish blonde model, not as successful as the ones above but got several American Vogue covers.

Pola (US) one 1974 Vogue cover (and one Cosmo) and several editorials. Died tragically (OD) in 1975.

Beverly Johnson (US)
had many covers and features from 1973 to the early 80s. The first African American Vogue cover girl who nabbed many campaigns - among them Valentino.

Rene Russo
(US) had countless covers during the 70s. I mention her here because she is probably the most successful model to ever become a notable actress. There are other examples (Brooke Shields, Uma, Milla) but she has had great success as both, and that makes her unique.

Marie Helvin (US/UK)
was David Bailey's muse during the 70s. Many many Italian and British Vogue features but I have yet to see an AmVogue feature.

Margeaux Hemingway (US) was Scavullo's favourite model and had much success during a few brief years in the mid 70s.

Iman (ETH) is one of the very few African models of the 70s. Quite successful editorially especially. Married to Bowie.

Dalma (BRA) might be the first well known Brazilian model. I'm not very good with identifying her.

Lisa Taylor (US) was Newton's favourite in the latter part of the 70s.

Patti Hansen (US),
the 1973 Seventeen covergirl progressed to French and American Vogue (and Bazaar) and ended up with none other than Keith Richards in the late 70s. Massively successful.

Rosie Vela (US) was another Scavullo favourite and appeared frequently from 1975 to the late 70s.

Peggy Dillard (US?)
had a few covers in the late 70s.

Michelle Stevens (US) had MANY Vogue covers in the late 70s. A strange success in that she was everywhere in 1978 and 1979 and then she seems to have evaporated.

Janice Dickinson (US) extremely successful from 1975 to 1984 or so - well everybody knows about her by now, surely

Jerry Hall (US)
was very successful but mostly in British Vogue and later Bazaar. Mick Jagger's gal.

Gia Carangi (US) only had one cover for American Vogue but was the star of 1979/80. Succumbed to HIV in 1986.

Kim Alexis (US) was the opposite to exotic wildchild Gia, but was, ironically, successful during the same years.

Carrie Nygren (SWE) - the other Swedish blonde of the decade. Rather successful in Europe.

Bitten Knudsen (DEN) - uberblonde Bitten had her prime in 1978-1980.

Debbie Dickinson (US) - Janice's multiple Vogue UK cover girl sister.

Juli Foster (US) - another model with her peak during 1978-1981.

Esme (US) - successful brunette during the latter part of the 70s.

Nancy Donahue (US) - one of the late 70s disco blondes.

Kelly Emberg (US) - another late 70s early 80s blonde who later hooked up with Rod Stewart.

Dayle Haddon (?) - rather successful ravenhaired model.

Christie Brinkley (US) - one of the most successful SI models ever.

Cheryl Tiegs (US) - a household name in the 70s, she epitomized the commercial model of the 70s.

Appolonia (BEL) - very successful in Europe in the mid 70s.

Louise Despointes (FRA) - Dior cosmetics model mid 70s.

Celeb/models
- like now there were celebrities who nabbed covers, campaigns and editorials. But they were more carefully selected and were almost always really good on the covers:

Sophia Loren - got Vogue covers through the 60s and 70s. Occassionally.

Catherine Deneuve - had covers with most of the big Vogue magazines, often shot by David Bailey. Is probably the only person so far who has had Vogue covers from the 60s to the 00s. Lauren Hutton could be another one, unsure about that.

Ali McGraw - had a few lovely Vogue covers during her brief hayday.

Lois Chiles - Also had a few covers around 1975, and more editorial spreads about her. She was really photogenic.

Cher - A few covers from the mid 70s.

Goldie Hawn - Several covers during the late 60s and early 70s.

Grace Kelly - a few odd Vogue covers with this beauty icon. Only in the 70s and 80s, though I'm not positive about that.

Cybil Shepard - just one or two covers and a few more features.

Raquel Welch - another favourite celeb of the early 70s.

Jacqueline Bisset
- 5 or so covers through the 70s.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 01-08-2006 at 10:46 AM.
01-08-2006
VSFS 2009!

Great list, thank you!

01-08-2006
V.I.P.

great list iluvjeisa!!!

penelope tree.

[michaelhoppengallery]

clever ain't wise

That is a lovely Pene-pic. If anyone comes up with more models just PM me and I'll add them to the list I made - and the mods can modify it themselves if they'd like. I just like to see all the models collected in one post and them sometime maybe we can find a small number of images for some of the models listed, starting with Penelope (whom I should add right now)

01-08-2006
V.I.P.

^love the idea of a directory post.

front row

Hello, M.P....I have collected images of Vogue covers from the 70s...but I don't know the names of the models (except my favorites, Lauren Hutton, Karen Graham and Marguiex Hemingway). Is it ok if I post them here?

Thanks,

Kora

01-05-2008
clever ain't wise

That is fantastic! You can post them here, or in the Vintage magazine forum: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f109/

I'll create a ID the vintage model thread so we can all help each other out

02-05-2008
front row

Thank you so much, iluvjeisa!!

is the 3rd girl Patti Hansen?

(C
overs I've collected from Ebay)

the third one above is familiar as well...but I can't id her.

02-05-2008
front row

more of the same:

I see Sophia Loren and Karen Graham, but I'm not sure who the others are.

the last may be Patti H.

02-05-2008
front row

Some more I've collected;
as you can see, Angelica Huston made a striking model.

Maybe you'll see that 'Barbara' here?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
70s, supermodels