How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-10-2005
tfs star

Which of Today's Models Have the Most Lasting Power?
Which of the latest girls do you think will be remembered ten years hence or have a long career ahead of them? Which girls do you think will have short-lived careers and be easily forgotten?

The girls with the most staying power have interesting, unique looks that transcend trendiness but aren't so weird or off-beat that they turn later generations off or people get sick of them. An overly weird, unsubtle face like Omahyra Motta's doesn't last because it hits you over the head but doesn't leave a dent.

My pic for a lasting face is Jessica Stam

Because she's so versatile and the only model who perfectly marries innocence and edge. Kate Moss has a similar appeal, but personally I find Stam more captivating because her eyes are more expressive while Moss always looks somewhat vacant to me.

Girls who won't last:

Gemma:

She has the kind of one-note, "shock value" face that intitially catches your eye, but fails to hold your attention because there isn't much to it. Her appeal is obvious and supercial, imo. Plus she's fatally tied to the time period. She epitomizes the alien baby doll look that is popular today, and she'll be quickly discarded once the trend dies down.

Lily Cole:

Same reasons apply.

Hana Soukupova

She's pretty but deathly boring. Unlike Valentina she tends to look much worse in candids than in professional photos (mousy and sometimes mannish).

Lily Donaldson:

Everything about her is awkward: her face, her walk. She's a terrible model, imo.

Karen Elson

I know I'm going against the grain here, but I don't think she has any staying power. Her success has mostly been the result of luck and quirky trends in the business. She's not attractive or interesting.

Last edited by marqueemoon; 23-10-2005 at 03:06 PM.

23-10-2005
V.I.P.

i agree about Jessica Stam...i think she is so great...she is so good at changing her look for the mood of the show...she can be innocent at Marc Jacobs or sexy at Roberto Cavalli......

I also think that Daria has alot of staying power...her look is safe but at the same time edgy, and from what i have seen she has a great personality which is very important....

i also think Caroline Winberg and Shannan Click have staying power

tfs star

I agree that Daria has an interesting face and I think that's the reason she made it so far -- she doesn't look like any other current models. Plus you can't sum up her look with a few nifty adjectives like you can with Gemma or Lily Cole. Unfortunately, she's was very overexposed and I think people became tired of seeing her everywhere. She made the right choice by skipping this season.

23-10-2005
trendsetter

I would have to disagree on Gemma. IMO she was the one that started the whole baby face trend. Kate moss started the thinning of models...and look how she has been remembered.

23-10-2005
front row

I must, with great reluctance, agree about Lily Cole and Gemma, particularly Gemma. I simply cannot see her modelling in five years. I fail to understand Karen's appeal, she is not in the slightest attractive or even "edgy", she just seems to have a brutal, aggressive face with a pale complexion and aburn hair. Lily Donaldson is somewhat akward but has intellegnce and wit, her career has some longevity. A model i am sure will fade to obscurity is Adrianna Limma. Aside from her occasional spread in some men's magazine or Victoria's Secret catalogue i feel she has become far too commercial for runway modelling or advertising campaigns. Regretfully, i have grave doubts as to wether Kate Moss can redeem her seemingly doomed career as a model. Her public persona has been damaged beyond repair and designers recongize this.

23-10-2005
V.I.P.

Gemma will stay on the top for years, she got it and she´s getting better and better!!!

front row

^ I beg to differ. She simply has a unique look designers have not embraced thus far. Her appeal will soon fade as a new characteristic and look is understood to be desirable for designers.

23-10-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb117
I would have to disagree on Gemma. IMO she was the one that started the whole baby face trend. Kate moss started the thinning of models...and look how she has been remembered.
The difference, I think, is that Kate has a much more unique face than Gemma and she projects this whole cool attitude that Gemma totally lacks. Gemma is sort of a blank slate.
Kate may have started a trend like Gemma, but there aren't many models who look like her while Gemma's alien look is a dime a dozen in the industry.
It boils down to edge. Kate has it. Gemma doesn't.

23-10-2005
V.I.P.

I think Gemma will stay around, and Natalia. But especially Natalia. They, alongside Cintia, are my top 3 models right now, but I don't know if Cintia has any staying power since she hasn't really blown up.

23-10-2005
V.I.P.

i think gemma have the power to stay on top, she got this universal (alien) look that attracts people from all around the world and thats a gift for a model.

tfs star

I should also add Polina Kouklina to the list. She already seems to have disappeared. She can look really beautiful in candids, but she's missing something...

Last edited by marqueemoon; 23-10-2005 at 03:23 PM.
23-10-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady stardust
i think gemma have the power to stay on top, she got this universal (alien) look that attracts people from all around the world and thats a gift for a model.
Would you really call the "alien" look universal? If anything, I think it's the opposite.

23-10-2005
V.I.P.

Well in my world gemma is universal and not alien.I got a little bit excited and thought about the universe and aliens and stuff...

V.I.P.

Lily is not an awful model I her awkward sharp face... but no staying power. To be honest I don't think any of these models will have staying power. Fashion is not the same anymore -it doesn't create power girls. Having said that, Karen and Erin will stay if at least in Britan providing they somehow keep their profiles up

23-10-2005
V.I.P.

I would say Karen has had staying power. She's had a comparitivly prolific career.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lasting, models, power, today