The Top Ten Models of the Decade (Thus Far) - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-02-2016
trendsetter

The Top Ten Models of the Decade (Thus Far)
Yesterday I was thinking about the models of the moment, and that led me to making a list of models who, in my opinion, have been the most influential and significant faces of this decade thus far. These are by no means my favorite models. On the contrary, I find some of these girls completely uninspiring and totally overexposed (and I don't think I'm the only one). But there is no denying that each and every one of them has had her moment in the spotlight and has made a mark on the industry in some way. It was difficult, but I managed to narrow down the list to ten names (in no particular order):

1. Kate Upton
2. Karlie Kloss
3. Edie Campbell
4. Cara Delevingne
5. Joan Smalls
6. Arizona Muse
7. Saskia de Brauw
8. Anna Ewers
9. Gigi Hadid
10. Kendall Jenner

Of course models like Freja Beha, Sasha Pivovarova, Lara Stone and Kate Moss have all been (and continue to be) major players, but I didn't include them in this list because their careers were already established before this decade began. I guess you could say Karlie Kloss shouldn't be included for that reason, but in my opinion her golden age has been within this decade. Of course this list will probably look very different 5 years from now when this decade comes to a close--for example, Arizona Muse's moment is over and I was hesitant to include her on the list--but I'd be interested to see everyone else's list of the ten models who, in your opinion, have defined the decade and will be the most memorable when we look back to this time period in the future.

Last edited by vavavinny; 03-02-2016 at 06:53 AM. Reason: I wanted to add something
03-02-2016
V.I.P.

I get how you've come to include models like Kate, Kendall, Cara, Joan, Gigi and all the other annoying models of today, but I wouldn't really consider them influential.

If you see how Daria Werbowy, Lara Stone, Gemma Ward, Freja Beha and Sasha Pivovarova have influenced the modeling industry, there's way more impact. Look at how many lookalikes of those models have been working. They introduced trends, had contracts with the biggest brands such as Prada, Chanel and Calvin Klein and have all covered the biggest magazines. If anything, those 5 shaped the industry in this decade so far.

Last edited by anlabe32; 03-02-2016 at 07:35 AM.
03-02-2016
V.I.P.

I'm sorry but what was the reasoning on Kate Upton being #1, or in this at all?

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
03-02-2016
tfs star

Kendall and Gigi have only been modeling since 2014.. LOL!

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
I'm sorry but what was the reasoning on Kate Upton being #1, or in this at all?
One of the criterion I used to come up with the list is if any of the girls have been on the cover of all 4 major Vogues (US, Italia, Paris, British). Unfortunately Kate has made that accomplishment.

Last edited by vavavinny; 03-02-2016 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Grammar

03-02-2016
V.I.P.

Nope, Kate hasn't been on Vogue Paris.
Only Arizona and Edie have completed all 4.

03-02-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavavinny View Post
One of the criterion I used to come up with the list is if any of the girls have been on the cover of all 4 major Vogues (US, Italia, Paris, British). Unfortunately Kate has made that accomplishment.
She covered those magazines as a celebrity, not a model. She accomplished close to nothing as a fashion model.

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
03-02-2016
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlabe32 View Post
Nope, Kate hasn't been on Vogue Paris.
Only Arizona and Edie have completed all 4.
Oops, I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying.

scenester

I don't think any of these girls are in any way the best of the decade but I would probably put Arizona over Kate at number 1. I say this from a statistical standpoint. Her impact during her moment was so big that she got 22 vogue covers in 4 years. Comparable models include Natalia (25), Daria (27), Karolina (25), and Gemma (35). The other big models like Lara, Karlie, and Natasha are somewhere around 10-15 in the same period. I actually think Arizona is quite capable of making a comeback similar to Gemma. She's doing shows again and just scored a decent campaign.

I wouldn't put Kendall and Gigi on this type of list because they've been modeling for just over a year and their impact still isn't anything near the Kate Upton effect or the Arizona impact. They are celebrities who model whereas Kate was a model that became a celebrity. I'd go as far as to maybe throw Lindsey Wixson in there because she's probably one of the more notable models who has the resume. I might even go off the deep end and say Cameron Russell because she has the high fashion and commercial resumes, editorial support from major American magazines, and her Ted Talk made her very well known.

03-02-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katcty View Post
I don't think any of these girls are in any way the best of the decade but I would probably put Arizona over Kate at number 1. I say this from a statistical standpoint. Her impact during her moment was so big that she got 22 vogue covers in 4 years. Comparable models include Natalia (25), Daria (27), Karolina (25), and Gemma (35). The other big models like Lara, Karlie, and Natasha are somewhere around 10-15 in the same period. I actually think Arizona is quite capable of making a comeback similar to Gemma. She's doing shows again and just scored a decent campaign.

I wouldn't put Kendall and Gigi on this type of list because they've been modeling for just over a year and their impact still isn't anything near the Kate Upton effect or the Arizona impact. They are celebrities who model whereas Kate was a model that became a celebrity. I'd go as far as to maybe throw Lindsey Wixson in there because she's probably one of the more notable models who has the resume. I might even go off the deep end and say Cameron Russell because she has the high fashion and commercial resumes, editorial support from major American magazines, and her Ted Talk made her very well known.
But Cameron has been working since 2008,same as karlie and and their is a big difference between this 2 models.

I agree about Lindsey tho.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonsoJonathan View Post
But Cameron has been working since 2008,same as karlie and and their is a big difference between this 2 models.

I agree about Lindsey tho.
If I'm not mistaken, Cameron has been around since at least 2005. She just happened to have a career renaissance a few years back.

trendsetter

Quote:
It's still astounding to me how high Arizona's career soared. Maybe because she's been nearly invisible as of late. Kati Nescher had a similar type of moment. She was EVERYWHERE for a year, and then she went away.

Also, I don't think these girls in any way are the best of the decade either (except for maybe Saskia, Anna, Karlie and Cara), but I think they've all reached a level of overarching success that is difficult for most models to achieve. If we were strictly speaking about the best models and not exactly about popularity, I would've included models like Amanda Murphy, Lexi Boling, Sam Rollinson and Ashleigh Good. But I don't think any of them are really in the same league as the girls I listed.

trendsetter

Oh and definitely Vanessa Axente in terms of "best" models. I'll never forget seeing her immaculate face staring from the huge Calvin Klein billboard in SoHo in the summer of 2013. That F/W 2013 Calvin campaign by Mert & Marcus was so divine. That was her Christy moment.

V.I.P.

The Top Ten Models of the Decade (Thus Far)

I don't get why Veterans models cant be consider to be included on this list specially since most of them command a lot more then the models on this list (thus far)

WE have morels like Natasha and Karlie who since 2010 have had 30 vogue covers.

then we have models like Daria (17 vogue covers)Lara (21) and Kate(24)
who most of the time only do the top vogues(Paris,Uk,Italia)

how don't see how Edie with 13 covers, Cara 14, Joan 15, Anna 10 and Saskia 15 can be consider The Top models of this decade with counting the already established models.

oh and Kate, Kendall and Gigi have no business on this list (thus far)

V.I.P.

Quote:
I wouldn't put Kendall and Gigi on this type of list because they've been modeling for just over a year and their impact still isn't anything near the Kate Upton effect or the Arizona impact.
In terms of notoriety, they are the most famous models since the 90's. Cara also. Everyone knows them. They get fragances, Vogue covers, beauty campaigns... It's a fact.

Anna Ewers and Arizona Muse are maybe the only models that have had careers like the top models in the 00's (I'm mostly talking about their beginnings). Getting everything and everything being bluechip. Muse's momentum was so short, though. But she was a total hit.

I have to think my list...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
decade, models