How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

18-07-2011
Automated Thread Manager

Victoria's Secret Etc, Etc - Thread #3 - *Please see first post before posting*
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Aside from the fashion show, use this thread as an opportunity for any and all VS news throughout the year!

Moderator Reminder:

Thread Rules:
1. No model bashing.
2. Negative opinions about models are allowed, but you must back up any negative opinion with precise facts about why you feel that way.
3. State that opinion only once, then move on ... do not mention it again.
4. All other tFS apply as usual, please keep in mind that just because this is the Victoria's Secret Thread does not mean that weight talk in any way/shape/form is allowed.

Thank You

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 25-10-2011 at 09:03 AM.

18-07-2011
V.I.P.

^^ I was wondering about this image from Lily's thread, is this for Christmas?

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of Lily Aldridge. Shooting her today for @VictoriasSecret. #BTS
twitter.com/NomadRJ via coco24

Last edited by agee; 18-07-2011 at 09:16 AM.

18-07-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee
They have to target eighteen year olds because one, it is a sizable market and two so that by the time today's eighteen year olds are twenty six and presumably have more income, they are loyal VS customers and VS is the place that they go to for not just sexy lingerie, but also utilitarian underwear, sleepwear, active wear, casual wear, perfume, cosmetics, etc.
Exactly. It's a business. Their strategy seems to be to initially target the late teens/college age crowd with the pink section, and then as those consumers get older, they gradually move on to the more mature lines. Even their work clothing is better suited for a young professional working woman. The overall styling and marketing have changed. Even the VS use of the social media platforms and the All Access site are things that are specifically geared more towards a younger crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
^^ I was wondering about this image from Lily's thread, is this for Christmas?
Yes. It's Christmas.

18-07-2011
backstage pass

agee 18 year olds are teenagers. Their part in VS is the pink section.

And correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't VS now sell, yoga pants, make up etc. I'm not saying they should keep selling the same old stuff. So. I don't understand the comparison with prada and louis vuitton.
Lily is the only angel they've hired who's around 26 since they said they're now targetting 26 year olds. Adriana and Ale and mirand were already angels. For a company that says 26 year-old women are their target now, it say a lot that they've hired models AFTER they already said they 26 year old women thing who are like 20 year olds and don't look anything like 26 year-olds. They have models who are 26 and older but the kids are still doing most of the advertisement

And thank you for bringing up maryna. She's a perfect example of everything I'm trying to say. She still in her early 20's but with a very womanly body, a very mature look. Like I said, there are girls who are the same age as lindsey that have womanly bodies...AKA the MARYNAS OF THE MODELLING WORLD
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by dreamss; 18-07-2011 at 10:07 AM.

18-07-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamss View Post
agee 18 year olds are teenagers. Their part in VS is the pink section.

And correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't VS now sell, yoga pants, make up etc. I'm not saying they should keep selling the same old stuff. So. I don't understand the comparison with prada and louis vuitton.
Lily is the only angel they've hired who's around 26 since they said they're now targetting 26 year olds. Adriana and Ale and mirand were already angels. For a company that says 26 year-old women are their target now, it say a lot that they've hired models AFTER they already said they 26 year old women thing who are like 20 year olds and don't look anything like 26 year-olds. They have models who are 26 and older but the kids are still doing most of the advertisement

And thank you for bringing up maryna. She's a perfect example of everything I'm trying to say. She still in her early 20's but with a very womanly body, a very mature look. Like I said, there are girls who are the same age as lindsey that have womanly bodies...AKA the MARYNAS OF THE MODELLING WORLDPosted via Mobile Device
totally! agree with you! to me is not an age issue is more of a look issue KK started soo young n she was HOT,same for adri n ale!but this new girls just look like a High School student! i can pick 3 girl from the mall n they will look like them

18-07-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamss View Post
For a company that says 26 year-old women are their target now
I think you're reading too literally into the "26" number. It's a demographic, an age range. It's a general age range that they seem to be going after not just models/people who are exactly 26 years old.

And yes, as certain angels get older, they are going to age out of different product lines and eventually, the brand altogether. Just like consumers outgrow products, the models outgrow them as well.

18-07-2011
backstage pass

I know it's not exactly 26...or else i would have said lily wasn't 26 when they hired her.

"Just like consumers outgrow
products, the models outgrow
them as well." I do agree with that
Posted via Mobile Device

18-07-2011
front row

I think this is what dreamss wants to say (& correct me if im wrong): VS basically said that they're trying to appeal older 25-30 target instead of 18-22 college girls (they have PINK for that)... & If your target is 25-30 you should contract models who look that age or at least close to that age & make the clients say "I want to buy that because she looks freaking hot" or a boy to say "I want my bf/wife to wear that because it looks super sexy" which is not what you think when you see some of the new girls.

It is NOT about the age of the models, Edita&Maryna are both young but they look womanly, have killer bodies & rock those lingerie shoots ... Lily Aldridge is 25 (or 26?) & she still could pass as a college girl ... It's about looks, not about age.

& just look at the ratings from the show, it went down in 2006 (the year they started going younger,cute,dumb&pink le shock!) & it only went up in 2010 (the year where most of models where at least morea mature looking)

18-07-2011
backstage pass

^Karma! I need to start summarizing my posts like this post of yours! I also realize that there are a few mistakes in my recent posts that might make it sometimes difficult for u guys to understand them. lol. Excuse me, I sometimes write them in a haste!

Last edited by dreamss; 18-07-2011 at 02:17 PM.

18-07-2011
V.I.P.

It is a matter of taste and IMO Lily is the current angel who best embodies the sexy VS angels of the late 90s / early-mid 00s, namely the All-American hot chick type that Heidi, Tyra and Stephanie represented (yeah, yeah I know Heidi is German), and in case you think that my hot chick radar is off, when GQ did a cover story on VS angels Candice, Erin, Lily and Lindsey, IIRC Lily and Candice got the most pages, and it should also be noted that that GQ cover has been reprinted several times, so it seems like the editors of GQ in a number of countries still think that VS is a good place to go when they want to feature hot chicks.

For the record I am a big Maryna fan and have been for some time and hope to see her become an angel.

Re the "certain angels have always been sexy" argument, I like KK, Ale, Adriana and others, and when I see footage of them from their early days at VS I am not seeing anything significantly different than when I see Erin, Candice and Chanel these days, a lot of "is she girly or sexy" depends on the styling and the circumstances for all of these models whether we are talking 2003, 2005, 2009 or 2011.

Quote:
So. I don't understand the comparison with prada and louis vuitton.
All I am saying is that VS is not the same company that it was ten years ago and that that is a regular occurrence and has happened to other companies like Prada, Gucci and Louis Vuitton. The legacy of Prada and Gucci is shoes, handbag and other leather goods, but these days they do clothes and fragrances and not just that, they are major players in fashion, and the same applies to VS and that is that their legacy is seductive lingerie, but it has since evolved into active wear, casual clothes, fragrances, cosmetics, shoes, etc., so the complaints about VS not being a sexy lingerie company and it needs to go back to its roots is akin to telling Gucci and Prada to stop selling clothes and fragrance and concentrate on shoes and handbags.

Last edited by agee; 18-07-2011 at 03:52 PM.

18-07-2011
front row

Did you use lily's name and vs models in the 90's.......

Last edited by CharmedPrincess; 18-07-2011 at 04:51 PM.

18-07-2011
fashion elite

I think agee means it in a way that Lilly is very much the next door type of girl, that's the appeal in her and not her appearance alone. While yes back then it was a very va va boom era for sexy, it changed now a bit and the personality and how she presents herself is how Lily is very similar to the models of the 90's.

For example you hear say Heidi or Tyra speak as in,

"Hi I'm *insert model's name* and we're here at the VS store in *insert place* and we are about to launch the new so and so... personally I love the mascara in *insert cheesy name* and it's so much fun and it works well if you rub it this way or use the new VS eyeshadow, I know for me the set of *insert another cheesy name* works best for me"

They speak as if they know you, as if they know what your problems are, explaining the product and how it works. Basically they are great spokespeople, they might not have the look of a previous era of "sexy" but they still have that sense of relating directly with the customer.

Candice is like the "image" or poster girl of VS a la Adriana and Erin/Lily are more like the "voice" of VS a la Marissa and Tyra.

18-07-2011
V.I.P.

^ Yep and I do want to emphasize that I am referring to looks as well, I mean hello!

victoriassecret.com

Even though she was not an angel, this looks very Cindy Crawford to me. I don't think that Lily looks perfect all the time (her teeth), but neither did Tyra (ginormous forehead), Gisele (manly / horsey) and other angels. As far as spokes-modeling is concerned, Lily is one of the better ones but there is still room for improvement. Now spokes-modeling is the area where I play the "this current crop of angels ain't got nothing on the old guard" card, to me VS really needs to find one or more angels who can bring it like Heidi, Gisele and Tyra did, and even though I like the American girls, it should be noted that English is not the first language for two of those three angels.

Last edited by agee; 18-07-2011 at 06:35 PM.

18-07-2011
tfs star

^ Yes, because 90's supermodels always posed with that stupid kissy/duck face expression in 90% of their pictures and during events. How could you even compare that? Those models had the walk too.

Sorry to say, but Lily is only photogenic when she isn't smiling or has any expression on her face. That's definitely not a good quality for a VS model.

tumblr.com/lovevsmodels

18-07-2011
V.I.P.

then again! she only has done Pink during VSFS (n the cute segment) because she just does NOT match the rest of the girls doing runway!! i mean C'MON!!

she may look good in picture,but she is just not sexy i mean just look at her walks during the VSFS,i mean really is that sexy?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, post, posting, secret, thread, victoria