How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-11-2011
tfs star

Karlie looks good in those pictures because she is covered up. Give me a picture of her in just a bra and thong to convince me she has potential to be a VS angel. It's kind of one of the requirements of the job to look good in lingerie.

Although Karlie has an amazing potential personality wise and status wise, if she can't look good in plain lingerie HOW will she possibly model for VS?

30-11-2011
hors concours♛

I think Karlie can do clothing/pajama and PINK and work her way up once she matures some more. Maybe this is what VS plans on?

but I really like her in those clothing pics. She doesn't look like just a boring catalog model.

Last edited by michelabella; 30-11-2011 at 06:45 PM.

30-11-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel29 View Post
Karlie looks good in those pictures because she is covered up. Give me a picture of her in just a bra and thong to convince me she has potential to be a VS angel. It's kind of one of the requirements of the job to look good in lingerie.

Although Karlie has an amazing potential personality wise and status wise, if she can't look good in plain lingerie HOW will she possibly model for VS?
THIS!

Are you all forgetting tat VS is mainly trying to sell underwear? As in thongs, bras & babydolls? Like they don't even sell clothes in the stores, you walk through a VS store & you'll see pictures of the models in lingerie/swimsuits, never in clothes

It would be a huge waste of money to contract a girl just to put her in clothes, she wouldn't be in any launch because they do the launches only for underwear and/or fragrances that come inspired by the underwear & in order to be in the launch you should at least be in the campaign. Oh & also, contracting a girl you cannot use in commercials either? Because once again the commercials are for, wait for it: underwear!

I have nothing against Karlie, she's a great model but she's not Angel material, if she gets signed with Pink it would be great. I honestly think that Karlie & Pink are a match made in heaven but she does not fit mainline VS.

30-11-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLimaVzla View Post
It would be a huge waste of money to contract a girl just to put her in clothes, she wouldn't be in any launch
Interesting you bring this up because I think it's just as much of a waste of money to sign a model that you can't send to a launch or interview because she wouldn't be able to answer any questions. Calling Lais? Lais? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Anyway, in regards to Karlie, she's 19 years old. She's just starting to get more mature styling with her editorials, and her Allure editorial showed a glimpse of that potential.

source - trendhunter.com

Karlie might not fit the cookie cutter defintion of what is "sexy" (which is what I think the crux of the debate is even if people don't want to admit it), but she is positively striking. There's nothing about her that screams "she can only do pink," and I think it's a little premature to declare that she can't do mainline without even seeing the result of it. Plus, if Karlie can do pink, then she can do mainline because pink is... wait for it, underwear too. It might have words and sparkles on them, but it's still lingerie.

30-11-2011
front row

You can improve your english by taking class in one/two months & Lais already stated that she is taking english lessons every day, however you can't go from girl to woman in two months & it could take years for Karlie to fully grow up ... There's a reason why VS didn't put her in lingerie in the show, she was all covered in her three outfits.

Did you see the Pink segment this year? Sweaters, shirts, tutus, skirts, etc. they even had a full coverage PJ last year. It's a completely different approach from the mainline.

30-11-2011
fashion elite

I don't think I'll ever find Karlie drop dead gorgeous, but I do appreciate her her massive star quality. She does have "it". You know those models who you just don't love, but you can see why other people love them? That is what Karlie is to me. Its only a matter of time before she signs a contract. Whether I like it or not, its gonna happen.

30-11-2011
V.I.P.

well Karlie is one of the biggest model in the modeling word.
if,only if vs is to give Karlie a contract i dont think Karlie managment will settle for something like a non-angel contract.

she is on top.we are not talking about no-name-models like Lily,erin who were not known b4 doing VS.

VS has not give that multimillion-dollar contract to any model since Doutzen-Miranda(correct me if im wrong) Candice was in the forbes list but i dont know if that means she got all that money from her VS contract.
back to Karlie n the chances of getting a VS contract.if you Notice VS has not sign any big model name like Karlie. n have not done it since Miranda/Doutzen. i feel that VS is saving all the $$ by just hiring less Prestigious/well know models.

oops i forgot what i was going for LMFAO

well i guess it was that KK will not just do Pink. Karlie is a top model n i dont this she will settle for something that is not going to "help" her career and pink will def not help her career.only time will tell

30-11-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLimaVzla View Post
You can improve your english by taking class in one/two months & Lais already stated that she is taking english lessons every day,
I love Lais, love her. Would love to see her be made an official Angel. And I think if VS wants her, they want her for whatever reasons, regardless of what others may say, and they'll make her an angel. Same with Karlie. If VS wants her, they want her.

All of that to say, the english thing isn't that easy. The interview where she said she was taking classes everyday was done over a year ago. (I was able to find the link, http://ffw.com.br/noticias/gente/vid...-lais-ribeiro/ )

Not saying that will or won't keep VS from making Lais an angel. Again, if they want her, they'll make her one. None of us really know why VS chooses the people they choose.

30-11-2011
fashion elite

I don't think Karlie will become an Angel. I watched the show last night, and while I can acknowledge that Karlie is a good model, she just doesn't have the body of a VS Angel. Angels are known for having curvaceous figures, and Karlie just doesn't have that right now. All those people saying "Oh, but she has done sexy print work" are forgetting that those pictures are heavily photoshopped.

VS likes her, but if she wants to join the girls doing the main campaigns, she's going to have to wait a couple of years.

01-12-2011
front row

I agree with all the previous comments. I think that's nice you put her next to Miranda, it could have been even more obvious if you'd have compared her with Candice . It's obvious she still have a young girl body.

01-12-2011
tfs star

Maybe VS knows how to get her angles right, b/c she has body here:

vogue.it

01-12-2011
V.I.P.

Karlie has been doing print work with VS for a few months, and if she is doing well with meeting the criteria to be an Angel which presumably would have a lot to how she sells in print, personality and charisma, spokesmodel potential, professionalism and fit with VS organization, then it would be a stupid, STUPID move on VS' part to not offer her an Angel contract sooner rather than later, and then promote the heck out of her.

The discussion of Karlie's supposed limitations does not hold water when it comes to VS today and it does not even hold water with VS from back in the day. I have seen candid or runway photos of Karolina, Adriana and Alessandra from the early 2000s, and they were clearly glammed and photoshopped for their sexified catalog pictures. People go on and on about Karolina and Adriana's respective 2001 and 2003 opens but to my eye they were both very baby faced, and even though she looked great, Adriana's proportions were just as off as Karlie's but in the other direction.

Re VS today, again, hello photoshop, but I think that people need to re-think VS' legacy as a lingerie company being a driving factor in selecting representatives in 2011, and even if VS still gets most of its current revenue from lingerie, and I am not sure if that is the case, is that where its future prosperity lies? Do they really need another model to sell bras, panties and swimwear, or would they be better served if she sells jeans, jackets, shoes and fragrance? What is Gisele's biggest financial contribution to the company, is it the number of bras and panties that she sold or is it as the main face of their Dream Angels Heavenly fragrance? I don't know the answer to that but I would not be surprised if it is the fragrance.

When I look at the VS catalogs / covers for the past year or two, I see a lot of images for clothes and in fact the main reason that I even give credence to the shapely argument has more to do with the combination of swim and lingerie and not lingerie alone, but I am not sure if that is even credible because Alessandra was the reigning print queen before Candice and she is flat chested and boxy, and the Gisele that I have been seeing in lingerie all these years is a woman with an amazing presence, great hair and a boxy torso.

So again Karlie's supposed limitation is a non-issue, now if being an incubator for stars like Heidi, Tyra and Gisele is also a thing of VS' past then VS can let Karlie slip right through their hands, but if they are still in the business of having star models rep their brand and not clothes-hanger models or celebs, then they need to sign Karlie and sign her quick.

Last edited by agee; 01-12-2011 at 04:41 AM.

01-12-2011
V.I.P.

Well... VS lingerie pictures are even more photoshopped then some fashion eds lol, so Miranda, Ale, all the models been there.

You took Karlie's runway pic and put it together with catalogue Miranda one ? Right.

Miranda is also older then Karlie, just a note. :p

Karlie is a teen but she has better vs angel potential then most current girls working for vs. Kinda Gisele-sque. Not comparing them, just saying. I love the fact that she is not 'your everyday looking mall girl', she is a beauty but not the one you see winning beauty pageants, she has an edge, smth special about her, striking even and that can translate amazingly in catalogue work as well. She can bring some star quality to vs which it needs IMO.

The thing with Lais... even if the girl is gonna show some incredible abilities in languages ahem, and will start chatting in English in a week as if it was her mother tongue, I am still not sold on her. Main reason ? She is SO boring. There is no spark whatsoever, no star power, no wow effect, she does not make me wanna buy all that sexy lingerie. She gets lost. Whether catalogue or runway. Not good for vs angel. Not good. Tell what you want, sure she is a nice girl, but vs angel should be more then just that, you gotta know that as vs fans lol.

With all the hype you look at her vs work, commercials, etc. and just feel underwhelmed. In no way I say she must 'spew rainbows' and 'be loud' to stand out but you know she should have that 'it' factor,that she does not. There's gotta be some inner shine and power. Because deer in the headlights is not gonna work for ever.

01-12-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochi Chernye View Post
Angels are known for having curvaceous figures, and Karlie just doesn't have that right now.
Not really. A few of the angels on the current roster definitely benefit from creative posing and photoshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrllaless View Post
Maybe VS knows how to get her angles right, b/c she has body here
When Gisele was there, she was all about angles and contortion, and she admitted it all the time. I think VS can definitely find her angles because A.) they're used doing it and B.) Karlie is a skilled model. More than VS knowing her angles, she has to know them, and that editorial shows that she does. It's like it came out at the perfect time given the convo in this thread. The whole editorial is great. VS can work with that, for sure.

Last edited by tlg00; 01-12-2011 at 06:19 AM.

01-12-2011
backstage pass

From a purely financial stand point, Karlie would be a brilliant VS Angel. As acknowledged from the posts above, any in-print issues she might have with her curves and sex-appeal can easily be fixed either with Photoshop or surgery (VS have done it before...) To be honest, I'd doubt that Karlie's management would want her to become an Angel at this stage in her career. They might want to wait a few seasons until her high-fashion glow fades a bit and then sign her up for an expensive contract.

Even if she isn't an Angel, Karlie still offer a lot to Victoria's Secret. For one thing, she sells the brand perfectly and can sell products. Not all men might find her sexy per se, but she appeals to the kind of women who VS targeting. She's extremely personable which makes her a great spokesperson for the brand and even if she isn't an Angel, her presence at a launch brings high fashion accreditation and likeability. The way in which VS were presenting her during the show also seems very important - they were showing her as a 'girl next door' who couldn't believe her luck because she'd always looked up to the Angels (just like many girls across the world.) This sells a dream to VS customers. If a girl from an 'ordinary' city in North America can walk for Victoria's Secret and feel empowered, women will both identify with her and feel further connected to the brand.

Personally, I've got nothing against Karlie. She seems cute and likeable although definitley doesn't have that Ale/Adriana sex-appeal. The Angel who perhaps deserves more attention imo is Doutzen. Her comeback was incredible! She's been a little forgettable in recent months but she absolutely worked during the show and is a stand-out in the Christmas commercial. Lily's walk isn't right for VS, but you're all right, she's personable and her print work is just right on mark. That commercial alone justifies her work with the brand. Does anyone else find Candice a little lacklustre of late on a personal level? She's beautiful, though, and is perfect for the panties/bras/swimwear side of VS.

I'd be interested to see how the Angels change in line with VS' upcoming global expansion. They may look to appoint a few more European Angels and certainly and Asian Angel in the future which I'm looking forward to. I'd love to see Toni Garrn taking up Doutzen's role in a few years time and perhaps Elsa Hosk moving into the Pink Angel role. Sometimes it feels as if VS doesn't need both Lindsay and Erin as they are both beautiful, appeal to a similar market and are both a similar style of spokesmodel. There's not much to say about Lais - she's beautiful and her body is incredible but she must work on her English otherwise there really isn't any point. With Angels, the 'celebrity factor' comes into play quite a bit because it brings publicity for VS - e.g. when people who don't follow fashion directly can recognise Candice, Miranda, Ale & Adriana. Lais will need to pick that kind of following up...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, post, posting, secret, thread, victoria