How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

01-12-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
Karlie has been doing print work with VS for a few months, and if she is doing well with meeting the criteria to be an Angel which presumably would have a lot to how she sells in print, personality and charisma, spokesmodel potential, professionalism and fit with VS organization, then it would be a stupid, STUPID move on VS' part to not offer her an Angel contract sooner rather than later, and then promote the heck out of her.
I 100% agree...If I were making these decisions for the company, I would get everybody together and say "Let's get her signed right now before her price doubles!!!"

01-12-2011
fashion elite

Question. Are you guys referring to Karlie becoming a mainline Angel or just doing occasional work for them? Because I'm referring to her doing mainline work e.g. promotional work, commercials, etc.

When I watched the show and saw Behati's bits, I kept thinking, why isn't this girl an Angel yet? I know she works for PINK and all, but I'm not sure what her position in the company is. If we're talking about girls who should replace Doutzen, Miranda, etc, then I definitely think Behati should be a front runner, more so than Karlie. Behati has such an adorable personality and her body is banging! I seriously don't understand why VS doesn't use her more. Is she an Angel or not?

01-12-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg00 View Post
It's like it came out at the perfect time given the convo in this thread. The whole editorial is great. VS can work with that, for sure.
VS can definitely work with it, and Karlie can work it.

Like you mentioned, based on her previous editorial work, we all know Karlie knows how to work her body. She'll be fine in print for the VS catalogs. She has a lot of personality, so she'll be great for launches, interviews, that kind of thing. She's experienced on the runway, so she'll be fine for the annual show.

Whether people want Karlie as an angel or not, it has a high chances of happening, and happening soon.

VS is pursuing her heavily. They've openly talked about waiting years for her to be eligible for the show. They want her. And I think Karlie wants to be with VS. Every time she was interviewed about it, she seemed genuinely excited.

And I don't think the timing of everything — VS, the Allure edit, the VI edit — was coincidence. She's obviously transitioning her career from being viewed as a girl, to a woman. There's some shrewd career planning going on here.

01-12-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochi Chernye View Post
When I watched the show and saw Behati's bits, I kept thinking, why isn't this girl an Angel yet? I know she works for PINK and all, but I'm not sure what her position in the company is. If we're talking about girls who should replace Doutzen, Miranda, etc, then I definitely think Behati should be a front runner, more so than Karlie. Behati has such an adorable personality and her body is banging! I seriously don't understand why VS doesn't use her more. Is she an Angel or not?
When VS posted the official "Angel line-up" on their Homepage Behati was a part of it, but beside that they never really use her.

I don't get that because she would be a great spokesperson for the brand and she would be great for some of the commercials.

When it comes to Karlie I'm neither a huge fan of her look nor her personality, but I think she can do much for VS. Many people like her, she would probably make a good spokesperson, has a lot of experience and a great walk and I'm sure she will look good in print and TV commercials.
I don't expect to love all the angels anyway, so as long as there are some girls I love, I'm fine with it.

VS needs a varity of looks and personalities to appeal to as many potential custumers as possible.

I do hope though, that they don't get too many Angels. If they keep everyone they have now and add Karlie AND Lais they have 12 Angels, which I find too much.

I think 10 Angels should be the maximum and they should use all of them on a regularly basis.

Last edited by MsMornings; 01-12-2011 at 01:32 PM.

01-12-2011
front row

^I'd love to see Behati do more stuff for VS. IMO, she's a great spokeperson. She's seems so natural and spontaneous! She'd definitely bring something different to the group.

01-12-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMornings View Post
I don't expect to love all the angels anyway, so as long as there are some girls I love, I'm fine with it.

VS needs a varity of looks and personalities to appeal to as many potential custumers as possible.
Totally agree with both of these points. All the girls won't appeal to everyone. As long as they each appeal to someone, it's all good.

01-12-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochi Chernye View Post
Question. Are you guys referring to Karlie becoming a mainline Angel or just doing occasional work for them? Because I'm referring to her doing mainline work e.g. promotional work, commercials, etc.

I can't agree more!

I think that Behati is the right girl to become a real angel, not a PINK girl. Has she ever done an event with VS girls except few in 2008? I can't remember any. Oh, and besides that, they let Erin open PINK this year and Karlie closes it(and the show). Does it mean that they've lost their interest in Behati or they just wanted some changes cause Behati has opened it for 3 years in a row? If so why wouldn't they let her close the show because first of all she's their angel and they usually get privileged and secondly because she still (officially) represents the PINK line. I have a feeling like they treat her like a kid (and see only her cuteness ) because she gets to walk the most childish segments, and has never had a decent, serious outfit. That makes me think that if Behati gets replaced in the PINK line they won't give her a contract for their main line.

I should say that I'm OK with Karlie if she keeps doing VS PINK or becomes PINK first face (I guess she would also be an angel then? ) but if VS people don't keep Behati that would be the worst VS mistake ever . This girl needs more attention from VS! IMO she could do much better than many of their current main line angels!

01-12-2011
backstage pass

Behati is so likeable, but I don7t get any sexy vibe from her whatsoever, she a cute tomboy and I think she is great for pink. But when you check the latest Christmas CM, I can't picture Behati doing any of this... so yes, great model but not sure for main line-up. Karlie falls in same category to me, I love her, she is great on runway, great spoke-model and she is so damn liable. But once again, taking the latest commercial as example, I just CANT picture her, she is not sexy either to me...

01-12-2011
fashion icon

^I don't find Behati sexy, either. I think VS is making the right decision by keeping her in Pink. She appeals to young girls more than women. I do think that Karlie gives a very good "sexy face". VS will definitely integrate her into the mainline.

And I know a lot of people are hating on Lais, but I think she is a great asset to the group of angels. She looks good in print, commercials & on the runway. She is working on her English, but she will get there. I know that VS does NOT target to guys, but I think they will like her, too. I'm sure they will probably use her to the same capacity as they use Lindsey.

02-12-2011
V.I.P.

If you are not a fan and not obsessed with Lais and if you can give well-grounded reasons as to why she is not angel material - is not " people hating on Lais".

Agree about Behati. She is likable, nice girl, but her face does not do it for me in sexy category.

Karlie can work sexy.

02-12-2011
fashion icon

^Wow, you get offended by just about everything, don't you? I wasn't talking about you specifically, and the word "hating" doesn't mean that you literally hate the girl. I also wish you would stop saying that I am obsessed with particular models. I don't talk about Lais anymore than you talk about Karlie. I'm not always trying to go toe-to-toe with you. Sheesh.

02-12-2011
V.I.P.

i dont like lais.but i cant deny she is VS material.so good for her

03-12-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimirose View Post

Even if she isn't an Angel, Karlie still offer a lot to Victoria's Secret. For one thing, she sells the brand perfectly and can sell products. Not all men might find her sexy per se, but she appeals to the kind of women who VS targeting. She's extremely personable which makes her a great spokesperson for the brand and even if she isn't an Angel, her presence at a launch brings high fashion accreditation and likeability. The way in which VS were presenting her during the show also seems very important - they were showing her as a 'girl next door' who couldn't believe her luck because she'd always looked up to the Angels (just like many girls across the world.) This sells a dream to VS customers. If a girl from an 'ordinary' city in North America can walk for Victoria's Secret and feel empowered, women will both identify with her and feel further connected to the brand.

Personally, I've got nothing against Karlie. She seems cute and likeable although definitley doesn't have that Ale/Adriana sex-appeal. The Angel who perhaps deserves more attention imo is Doutzen. Her comeback was incredible! She's been a little forgettable in recent months but she absolutely worked during the show and is a stand-out in the Christmas commercial. Lily's walk isn't right for VS, but you're all right, she's personable and her print work is just right on mark. That commercial alone justifies her work with the brand. Does anyone else find Candice a little lacklustre of late on a personal level? She's beautiful, though, and is perfect for the panties/bras/swimwear side of VS.

I'd be interested to see how the Angels change in line with VS' upcoming global expansion. They may look to appoint a few more European Angels and certainly and Asian Angel in the future which I'm looking forward to. I'd love to see Toni Garrn taking up Doutzen's role in a few years time and perhaps Elsa Hosk moving into the Pink Angel role. Sometimes it feels as if VS doesn't need both Lindsay and Erin as they are both beautiful, appeal to a similar market and are both a similar style of spokesmodel. There's not much to say about Lais - she's beautiful and her body is incredible but she must work on her English otherwise there really isn't any point. With Angels, the 'celebrity factor' comes into play quite a bit because it brings publicity for VS - e.g. when people who don't follow fashion directly can recognise Candice, Miranda, Ale & Adriana. Lais will need to pick that kind of following up...
I agree with everything you've said! I always saw Karlie as the girl next door however just skinnier and more striking/beautiful though but still very personable and relatable ! She's so charismatic and intelligent too so she can definitely sell products. Plus watching her on the VSFS she had incredible presence , her walk was so strong and she seemed so confident

-Next yes I think Toni Garrn would be AMAZING as an angel , I don't want to see Doutzen go though because I think she's probably the most facially beautiful angel they currently have

-With Lais I prefer Joan or Emmanuela more , I mean I have nothing against Lais but she lacks that 'extra something' .. hmm I'm not sure maybe it's the English barrier?

Last edited by WerbowyStegner; 03-12-2011 at 06:34 AM.

03-12-2011
V.I.P.

I agree that Doutzen is hella beautiful but for some reason her beauty does not translate well in VS print, and other than the 2009 Holiday commercial, she has not stood out in the commercials either. I think that when it comes to VS she shines mostly at the VSFS, which as much as people go on about it, myself included, it is not a means of security when it comes to being an Angel. She also shines as a spokesmodel (I was surprised that she only did one or two appearances this year (IIRC)). Anyhoo I am glad that Doutzen is getting so much shine of late and hope that it continues into the new year.

Last edited by agee; 03-12-2011 at 07:46 AM.

03-12-2011
fashion icon

I think that Candice, Joan, & Karlie would be the recipe for success for VS in the near future. They all have "it".

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, post, posting, secret, thread, victoria