How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian S View Post
Isn't Lindsay already an angel? I wish Barbara would get to become an angel, she has everything plus public approval.
Barbara Palvin? She doesn't have the right body for VS

30-12-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet rus View Post
Barbara Palvin? She doesn't have the right body for VS
Can you explain how and what kind of body is right for VS?

Last edited by Maximilian S; 30-12-2012 at 02:04 PM.

30-12-2012
front row

Quote:
I know right?

Barbara reminds me of the classic VS Angels. Laetitia Casta, Karen Mulder, Ines Rivero, Heather Stewart-Whyte. She has a soft, romantic thing going on. The models back then wore way more makeup than the girls do today. But Barbara has the same type of appeal just as Ed Razek said.
I don't think a model needs to be "ripped" for VS. In fact, that's more of a current societal thing and not even Candice is "ripped." VS is very romantic and angelic--Barbara is that.

I think if someone wants to reference whether someone is "right" or "wrong" for VS needs to check out this thread: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f96...-41069-65.html

30-12-2012
fashion insider

^ Actually it is very easy to see which girls are right and wrong for VS. We all want OUR favorites to walk the show, the agencies want THEIR girls to walk the show so there is a lot of clash of opinions and debates while its not all that complicated imo.

30-12-2012
front row

Quote:
^ Actually it is very easy to see which girls are right and wrong for VS. We all want OUR favorites to walk the show, the agencies want THEIR girls to walk the show so there is a lot of clash of opinions and debates while its not all that complicated imo.
Yes, when people think of VS they think of certain things so the models should have those certain things. Plain and simple. Looking at that old school thread, all those models have those things. But some people are twisting things now saying that there are new selling points or they're not actually familiar with the brand's aesthetic. VS has always been about the creme de la creme of lingerie models...

I will go back to an old point that there are models who should actually be doing VS but they don't get enough exposure/push from their agencies because that "lingerie look" isn't "in" at the moment. The girls who are doing really well fashion wise seem to be getting that extra push even if they deviate from the brand's aesthetic.

30-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
She is short, her legs look short and her body is not toned. She just doesn't have these amazing proportions with curves or at least an alongated amazonian modelisque body a la Gisele. In my opinion she is one of the most overrated models. And while she is good for beauty shots, her figure is just not her strongest asset.

You compare her with Laetitia? The latter has curvy body, she has such a cleavage, Barbara doesn't

30-12-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Yes, when people think of VS they think of certain things so the models should have those certain things. Plain and simple. Looking at that old school thread, all those models have those things. But some people are twisting things now saying that there are new selling points or they're not actually familiar with the brand's aesthetic. VS has always been about the creme de la creme of lingerie models...

I will go back to an old point that there are models who should actually be doing VS but they don't get enough exposure/push from their agencies because that "lingerie look" isn't "in" at the moment. The girls who are doing really well fashion wise seem to be getting that extra push even if they deviate from the brand's aesthetic.
I know, it trips me out when they say 'the most beautiful women in the world on one catwalk' A few of them are arguably among the most gorgeous women on the planet but most new ones are not any more special than regular good looking women. 'High fashion' models nowadays are not necessarily conventionally beautiful, they're just tall and VS is starting to use them more and more, while the really downright gorgeous girls are left doing B-list jobs and lingerie shows.

That's why I miss the sexy Brazilian era which was the reason VS was so successful in terms of the right models during the early to mid 2000s when regular high fashion models were conventionally beautiful and sexy. The 'in' look at the moment is just Valentino Spring 2013 got me depressed!

Last edited by Maximilian S; 30-12-2012 at 03:18 PM.

30-12-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
She is short, her legs look short and her body is not toned. She just doesn't have these amazing proportions with curves or at least an alongated amazonian modelisque body a la Gisele. In my opinion she is one of the most overrated models. And while she is good for beauty shots, her figure is just not her strongest asset.

You compare her with Laetitia? The latter has curvy body, she has such a cleavage, Barbara doesn't
I would never label 5'7 as short, thats higher than the average male height in most countries. Barbara is stunning with an amazingly proportionate body and already a little star. Also, I don't think Gisele is a good example as her beauty and career is still questioned by people to this day .

30-12-2012
front row

Maxmillian S: It's totally the agencies and also the mother agencies. There are tons of girls with the "VS look" and things stuck in Miami, London and Sydney. They're stuck doing the Euro lingerie stuff or the swimwear stuff that doesn't get a lot of publicity. There's only so much of that type of work available in NYC so it's more of a chore to sign on and develop a girl with a bombshell traits now a days because that look isn't "in" for runway, editorial, lookbook, presentation, high end e-commerce and it's not "girl next door" enough for the catalogs and television commercials. It's become it's own niche.

Your description of the VSFS is right. When I look at the cast, it just doesn't say "VS." It looks like a Balmain or Anthony Vacarello casting. But I guess that boils down to the cluster of models they have to choose from.

As far as the Barbara and Laetitia comparison--I'd say Barbara is very close in terms of what is available. . But the comparison is more about their "look"/"vibe." They make similar expressions and body movements too.

30-12-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
Maxmillian S: It's totally the agencies and also the mother agencies. There are tons of girls with the "VS look" and things stuck in Miami, London and Sydney. They're stuck doing the Euro lingerie stuff or the swimwear stuff that doesn't get a lot of publicity. There's only so much of that type of work available in NYC so it's more of a chore to sign on and develop a girl with a bombshell traits now a days because that look isn't "in" for runway, editorial, lookbook, presentation, high end e-commerce and it's not "girl next door" enough for the catalogs and television commercials. It's become it's own niche.

Your description of the VSFS is right. When I look at the cast, it just doesn't say "VS." It looks like a Balmain or Anthony Vacarello casting. But I guess that boils down to the cluster of models they have to choose from.

As far as the Barbara and Laetitia comparison--I'd say Barbara is very close in terms of what is available. . But the comparison is more about their "look"/"vibe." They make similar expressions and body movements too.
I bet there are agency shills going 'You have to hire her, she is the IT girl in fashion' to the VS casting directors, otherwise I don't understand at all why certain girls have been picked for the past couple of shows.

I agree about the cluster of top models being available right now that fit the VS image. That's why I find it funny when VS says they're the most beautiful women when they have been chosen from only a handful of conventionally beautiful girls in 'high fashion'. The anonymous lingerie shows have better looking girls than VS.

Last edited by Maximilian S; 30-12-2012 at 04:03 PM.

30-12-2012
front row

Quote:
I bet there are agency shills going 'You have to hire her, she is the IT girl in fashion' to the VS casting directors, otherwise I don't understand at all why certain girls have been picked for the past couple of shows.
Actually, booking works like this a lot

It's called leveraging. Sometimes agencies offer a package or pair--one cannot be booked without the other. They will negotiate a rate. Sometimes they will push one girl over another because of "personal" preferences etc. This is how new girls become stars but also how some girls get lost. There's also a lot of convincing and literally verbally pushing.

31-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
In my opinion she is one of the most overrated models.
This. I agree with you on that totally. Too much hype for little.

However IMO Barbara does fit VS. Yes, her proportions are off and her legs are not the best and I was disappointed by her VSFS 2012 walk but overall she actually can do well for VS. Generic good looking girl, womanly body, nice smile, she will go long way with vs.

Although her personality leaves much to be desired but I can see why vs likes her.

However as a HF model - no.

31-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
I know right?

Barbara reminds me of the classic VS Angels. Laetitia Casta, Karen Mulder, Ines Rivero, Heather Stewart-Whyte. She has a soft, romantic thing going on. The models back then wore way more makeup than the girls do today. But Barbara has the same type of appeal just as Ed Razek said.
I don't think a model needs to be "ripped" for VS. In fact, that's more of a current societal thing and not even Candice is "ripped." VS is very romantic and angelic--Barbara is that.

I think if someone wants to reference whether someone is "right" or "wrong" for VS needs to check out this thread: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f96...-41069-65.html
Really ? Watching the previous VSFS and browsing through archives of the catalogues one thing that distinctly stood out to me was the more 'natural looking' makeup/hair that was worn..

I thought the look was more 'clean' and 'natural' , now the makeup is OTT

31-12-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by WerbowyStegner View Post
Really ? Watching the previous VSFS and browsing through archives of the catalogues one thing that distinctly stood out to me was the more 'natural looking' makeup/hair that was worn..

I thought the look was more 'clean' and 'natural' , now the makeup is OTT
Yes, the foundations, powders and lip products they used are heavier/more opaque than the formulas they use today. The colors they use are "natural" colors but it's more makeup than today.

The girls wear less foundation, which is usually sheered out, and less powder overall today and more highlighters, bronzers, glosses etc. Lipliner isn't used as often as it was before. Sheer formulas. These are the current trends in makeup anyway.

01-01-2013
V.I.P.

^Oh okay , thank you for clarifying

I was on a few forums and "confession" tumblrs and I was shocked to see Bregje get so much abuse/insults for both her face and body.. people out there are really nasty

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#6, post, posting, secret, thread, victoria