How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

25-01-2013
backstage pass

I have a feeling Erin's going to be slowly fading out, now that she doesn't have the spark of being Leo's girlfriend. Which is a shame, I loved her. She's an amazing spokeswoman.

26-01-2013
front row

I don't think that Erin is going to fade out just because she and Leo split.

If I remember correctly she was one of the most used girls (if not the most used girl after Candice) before she was Leo's girlfriend.

And it's not like she wasn't getting attention at the VSFS. Sure she got two outfits only, but so did most of the other Angels and I thought she got a decent amount of screentime on the runway and between the segments.

Last edited by MsMornings; 26-01-2013 at 12:50 AM.

27-01-2013
backstage pass

haven't posted here in a while, just came to say how much I LOVE Barbara for VS
I am so glad they use her and to be great surprise I start to like Karlie for VS as well
nice to have new faces

27-01-2013
fashion elite

People say Lais is so boring but Barbara P is boring IMO she tries too hard to be a sex pot and I find her working boring but if she takes over for Erin Lily that would be great and actually think Karlie is better than those two!
Posted via Mobile Device

28-01-2013
hors concours♛

January 28, 2013
Victoria's Secret Models Top Forbes List

Quote:
Talk about a stairway to heaven

Of the 10 women named to Forbes’ 2012 list of the highest-earning models, six are or have been Victoria’s Secret Angels, the elite group of models selected not only for their considerable physical beauty but also for their personalities — and their ability to sell underwear and swimwear to women across the globe.

RELATED STORY: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2012 >>

At the top of the earnings heap is former Angel Gisele Bündchen, who, with contracts for Pantene, Esprit and Versace, earned an estimated $45 million between May 2011 and May 2012.

She was joined by these high-profile Angels:

• Adriana Lima scored fourth place with $7.3 million.

• Doutzen Kroes claimed the fifth spot with $6.9 million.

• Alessandra Ambrosio took the sixth slot with $6.6 million.

• Miranda Kerr garnered seventh place with $4 million.

• Candice Swanepoel came in 10th with $3.1 million.

“Becoming an Angel significantly increases a model’s earning potential due to their visibility around the world,” said Richard Habberley at DNA Model Management, which represents Ambrosio, Kroes and Lindsay Ellingson, another VS Angel. “It changes the girls’ careers completely.”

Carole White, founder of Premier Model Management in London, said, “It was the most massive thing that could have happened to Miranda Kerr. It made her name. Who had heard of her before Victoria’s Secret? They are great at taking a girl — a good-looking model, but a catalogue model — and launching her into the stratosphere. It’s like a modeling medal.”

But Habberley noted that selling bras and undies can be a tricky business.

“The merchants drive the decisions on the Angels. They [Victoria’s Secret] try the girls out, and certain girls sell product. They’re women that appeal to other women. And they’re special because they never appear in men’s magazines. Once you start to do that, they become threatening [to potential female customers],” said Habberley.

Being an Angel opens the gates of opportunity, too. Angels are expected to appear in the annual Victoria’s Secret fashion extravaganza in New York, which in 2012 was broadcast on CBS to more than nine million people. They are also required to appear in ad campaigns, make regular TV and in-store appearances, and pose for Christmas, Valentine’s Day and swimwear catalogues. The exposure often draws lucrative contracts for film and TV — cases in point, former Angels Heidi Klum, Tyra Banks and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.

“They put across their personality. They’re very visible,” said Viva London founder Natalie Hand. “Victoria’s Secret is very proactive in media training for the girls, and I have seen girls transformed through the process. There is a trend for girls with character and personality now. Over the last three to four years, clients really want to have VS girls in their campaigns. Ten years ago, it was seen as just so American, but now internationally, it’s a very powerful campaign.”

This recent sea change in attitude toward the Angels is due in part to British stylist Katie Grand, who met Brazilian Angels Ambrosio and Izabel Goulart at Fashion Rocks in Rio in November 2009.

“Being Brazilian, they have that sort of jaw-dropping immediate beauty where you just sigh and think, ‘Wouldn’t life be perfect if I woke up looking like that?’” quipped Grand.

“I then started working with James Lima and Prada on a Prada archive film called ‘The Love Thing,’ and chose to cast Alessandra in that,” mused Grand. “Miuccia, I think, liked the idea of her being [different from] the usual ‘Prada girl’ and cast her, along with Miranda and Doutzen, in her 2010 winter show.

“It was the same season I cast several Angels in Giles [Deacon’s] show and then also in the Vuitton ‘Bardot’ season. Marc [Jacobs] sent me a text at the beginning of the year, saying, ‘I’m into tits,’ to which I replied, ‘Oh yeah, me too,’ as I’d been doing all this work with Alessandra and the other girls. I love how these girls turn up and are perfection.…They are kind of otherworldly, like a Stepford Wife, like beings from another planet. So perfect.”

wwd

28-01-2013
front row

^^ Very interesting article.

Although, I'm not sure if Richard Habberly is correct. A lot of the Angels have appears in Men's magazines before they were working for VS. Isn't GQ and Sports Illustrated technically men's magazines? Or is he referring to things like Playboy and Maxim?

I can't think of a single VS Angel who hasn't been in a GQ, Details or Esquire. I guess those are men's style magazines. I suppose women look at Sports Illustrated as well..

But yes, VS Angels are bombshells but in a very sweet, unthreatening, angelic way. It's an amazing oxymoron.

28-01-2013
hors concours♛

I dont get his statement at all. Many of the angels have been frequents in mens mag oriented stuff their whole careers.

28-01-2013
tfs star

Surprised to see Doutzen making more than Ale and Miranda! She is definitely climbing up that ladder

28-01-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel29 View Post
Surprised to see Doutzen making more than Ale and Miranda! She is definitely climbing up that ladder
She has a contract with L'Oreal and VS. L'Oreal is one of the biggest, mult-beauty brands with skincare, hair, makeup, personal care etc. That's probably why!

28-01-2013
V.I.P.

erm ... i don't understand where this article came from. the most recent FORBES list of "Highest Earning Models" came out last year in June 2012. that's where all these numbers are coming from. this story is 7 months old. how is this news? lol

28-01-2013
V.I.P.

On a side note , Edita is shooting for VS swim again and looking sizzling! :p

dailymail.co.uk

28-01-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycanadian View Post
erm ... i don't understand where this article came from. the most recent FORBES list of "Highest Earning Models" came out last year in June 2012. that's where all these numbers are coming from. this story is 7 months old. how is this news? lol

Is it old? I thought something was funny. I would've thought Adriana would've had more than that with two SB commercials. But we know these lists aren't right to begin with anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

28-01-2013
hors concours♛

yes the Forbes list is from last year but I guess wwd is mainly stressing the vs angels taking up the most positions. The actual article is new.

28-01-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycanadian View Post
Forbes always tends to reuse that list over and over like crazy, they publish a new lists like "Highest Earning Couples", "Highest Earning Musicians" "Highest Earning Actors/Actresses" after the main one comes out. Anyways this information would be for earnings from May 2011 to May 2012 and published in June 2012.

As far as the mens magazines, the main one that the Angels (listed on this list) are on most is GQ, which is known more for it's lifestyle/fashion content. Same for Esquire and Details but the covers are few and rare across all international editions. I'm sure they mean more raunchy magazines like FHM, SI's Swimsuit Issue, Playboy, XXL, Complex, GIANT and so on.

I'm most surprised at the gap between Miranda's 4M to Alessandra/Doutzen/Adriana's 6.5-7M, I would have assumed VS along with David Jones, Samantha Thavasa and Lipton would have given her a bigger boost.

28-01-2013
V.I.P.

I'm surprised by that as well. If anything, at the current moment, outside of the VS stratosphere, I think more people know Miranda's name than Doutzen's.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#6, post, posting, secret, thread, victoria