How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

21-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid In Love View Post
+ 10000
Anyway,when I look at some lingerie on Karlie,no matter how nice it is I don`t want to buy it.She destroys the beauty of the lingerie for me
But you guys keep saying how amazing she looks and that she outshines everybody.I think it is will be a great idea for VS to fire all other models,because they look so bland compared to her.Why do we even need anybody else,if we have Karlie ?
Great job
lol so if she starts selling food you will stop eating too?
really does anybody expend any money based on how the models look with the product?

21-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonsoJonathan View Post
really does anybody expend any money based on how the models look with the product?
I've posted this before but yes, I have. Actually, I noticed a lot of times I bought things because the model made it look good.

Victoria's Secret lingerie is actually cr*p. The quality is just horrible. So marketing plays a big role in getting the product out there.

This past summer, I bought a lot of colors in the Dream Angels line and realized it was because Erin made the bras look so good. Erin really sold the "idea" of dreamy, ethereal, soft, pretty and I fell for it without realizing it until I decided I didn't really like the bras. I was obsessed with the collection and some of the colors for a few months ha!

I also bought a lot of the pieces from the Designer Collection that Barbara Palvin modeled. Those pieces were just awful when I got them. Horrible quality, fit, the colors and patterns don't translate the way they did in those pictures. It was Barbara who sold it to me, not the pieces itself. Barbara looked so soft, romantic and regal and so did the pieces but in real life the pieces just suck. I also debated between a particular bra that was modeled on both Barbara and Sara with different colors. To be honest, it looked way better in Barbara's picture than Sara's picture. With Sara's picture, I had the willpower to not buy the bra but for some reason it looked so tempting in Barbara's picture.

When I look at the pictures of the new bras posted on the models' threads, I'm also shopping (because those pictures come out before they're posted on the VS website!). But sometimes I have to stop and take a step back and think "Now is this bra actually pretty and with a nice shape or does it just look good on the model?" I recently had to due that with a blue bra on Izabel and decided not to get it!

What else can one do if they can't get to a store and primarily buy online or from the catalog? It just makes sense to base it off the picture!

Last edited by theBlueRider; 21-03-2013 at 11:11 AM.

21-03-2013
V.I.P.

lol I guess. I have never bought anything because "it looks good on a model"
I buy thing because I like them,they fit me right,not because I like how it look on a model,or because I like the idea they are selling.

but anyhow saying karlies "destroys" the beauty of lingerie is just LOL does she look like a monster or what ? that is just beyond me.

21-03-2013
front row

Quote:
I would say that's happening all the time. No company would hire models for so much money if their looks wouldn't have a huge influence on what customers buy and what they are willing to pay for the products.

I try not to let the models influence my buying decisions, but I wouldn't say I'm completely immune to it.

Congrats Karlie on getting her Angel profile. I don't like her too much, but I agree that she brings a bit of a different look to the roster, so I see why it's a good idea to make her an Angel.
I still hate her haircut though.

Last edited by MsMornings; 21-03-2013 at 11:47 AM.

21-03-2013
V.I.P.

To buy smth like lingerie just because the model makes it look good... lol

I definitely dont. I buy a panty because I like a panty and know for sure itll look good on me and I'll look fab in it. Thats all what matters. After all I buy it for myself, not for that model duh. But hey may be thats just me, Im not really eating it all up what models "try to sell". Its all nice and stuff but its my money so I buy it because I want it regardless of the "fantasy" or a model.

Erin didnt sell anything to me at all sorry to say. Karlie could try lol.

21-03-2013
tfs star

Model has a huge impact, much of it is subconscious, of course. Some clothes just look better on another person and some on other. In the model catalogue thread was an article about e-commerce models, girls who make nice and decent living of posing for online shops like Asos etc. Those brands follow numbers one and only, replacing a model for a bad selling dress, and it can boost sales hundreads of percents.

I have those experiences myself that I have noticed the model has impacted on my shopping decisions. As the BlueRider said what else can you do when shopping online/catalogue, it is all about the pictures.

Last edited by TommyGirl; 21-03-2013 at 12:13 PM.

21-03-2013
backstage pass

*sighs* that hair on Karlie, for the love of all that is holy and good in this world, please make it stop!! She just looks 'better' with the longer hair, the shorter hair does nothing but highlight the fact she is a whole person taller than the other girls.

Not surprised at her getting a profile, surely we all knew this was coming. I'm still hoping Barbara is up next.

I cannot get over the shade that VS is throwing at poor Chanel. It took them a decade and a half to remove Heidi, Marisa, Rosie & Karolina from their website, it took them what? all of two days to get rid of Chanel's profile. bad times!

21-03-2013
front row

Quote:
lol I guess. I have never bought anything because "it looks good on a model"
I buy thing because I like them,they fit me right,not because I like how it look on a model,or because I like the idea they are selling.
I was on vacation and traveling for a while when the Designer Collection and new dream angels collection came out. There was nowhere to try on the Designer Collection in person so I could only base the quality of the fabrics and the fit based on the picture. The pictures made the items look so luxurious when they really weren't at all!

Hasn't anyone else experienced this? Ordered something because it was presented amazingly online in the pictures but then disappointed when it arrives?
Or hasn't anyone ever done comparative shopping like see an item on nordstrom.com and it looks great on the model but then it looks horrible on another website?

21-03-2013
fashion elite

^ I do all the time, but I don't buy VS because it is truly crap! They made her an Angel no surprise, but she is no Angel too me at all. IMO she is not a lingerie model, but their whole line up is a disaster she looks so average esp with that ugly hair. Nothing about her is sexy. Sexy girls in lingerie plz.
Posted via Mobile Device

21-03-2013
tfs star

Model are supposed to sell the product,aren`t they?
Sometimes even average lingerie seems good,when the model is stunning,it just works alltogether
When I see Karlie photos,I don`t give a second look,because I don`t find her attractive
As somebody said before in this thread,her looks for me not even plain.
I don`t buy the lingerie only because model looks good,I have never said it,maybe you should read more attentive my posts next time

21-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
actually there are consumers who complain about models in catalogs to customer service, especially models who they think are too skinny. I interned at an agency and they had to stop using a model for J.Crew at the time because customers were complaining. So to answer your question, yes people do buy products based on models, otherwise wouldn't they just use hangers

22-03-2013
tfs star

Yeah, and propably nobody but the most devoted (and rich) fans buy clothing and think excatly "This model X looks good in that dress, let`s buy it!". It is not that straight-forward, it is about the the "big picture". How the colors of clothing go with model`s colors, lighting, how clothing fits on a model, the whole entirety, the mood of shots.

Like I said before, don`t you ever have experienced in real life how something looks really plain, ill-fitting etc on you, and then someone else tries it and it looks fabulous? This happens with models, too. Plus on online shopping you don`t have a possibility to touch materials and immediately try on, the picture can fool a lot.

22-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
actually there are consumers who complain about models in catalogs to customer service, especially models who they think are too skinny. I interned at an agency and they had to stop using a model for J.Crew at the time because customers were complaining. So to answer your question, yes people do buy products based on models, otherwise wouldn't they just use hangers
i cant imagine anyone calling the brand and be like "the girl on page 12 with the white T-Shirt/Short Dress looks too ____ or too ____.

LMAO

But oh well i guess there are people who do that.

Last edited by alonsoJonathan; 22-03-2013 at 12:40 PM.

22-03-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
i cant imagine anyone calling the brand and be like "the girl on page 12 with the white T-Shirt/Short Dress looks too ____ or too ____.

LMAO

But oh well i guess there are people who do that.
Not gonna lie, but me and my uni mates did that once for class just to see if we would get a response. We told River Island that the girl on a certain page's body was 'disproportional and it made us uncomfortable to look at'

They actually did reply to us, we got a lengthy email about how they hire models and what procedures they have in place to ensure that models are of a certain age etc etc

The response was not nearly as exciting as we had anticipated, we were hoping for an argument. :p

22-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGirl View Post
Yeah, and propably nobody but the most devoted (and rich) fans buy clothing and think excatly "This model X looks good in that dress, let`s buy it!". It is not that straight-forward, it is about the the "big picture". How the colors of clothing go with model`s colors, lighting, how clothing fits on a model, the whole entirety, the mood of shots.

Like I said before, don`t you ever have experienced in real life how something looks really plain, ill-fitting etc on you, and then someone else tries it and it looks fabulous? This happens with models, too. Plus on online shopping you don`t have a possibility to touch materials and immediately try on, the picture can fool a lot.
Totally. I will be the first to admit that I'm not an Erin Heatherton fan! But she totally sold the idea of summery, dreamy, freshness with this past summer's dream angels collection. It was just the entire set up of the collection including the model. There's a lot of nuances.

I don't think I would've bought anything if I saw the same pieces on say...Roseanne or Hillary Clinton or Cynthia Nixon posing in a high school gym locker room. It's not really selling a product by associating it with a fantasy I guess.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#6, post, posting, secret, thread, victoria