How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-05-2010
trendsetter

Victoria's Secret models going high fashion!
Could this be a start of a new era of supermodels? They have already conquered commercial, but now VS models are stepping up into high fashion(see Doutzen Kroes for cover of Vogue Russia, Adriana Lima for Vogue Spain, Alessandra Ambrosio for Vogue Nippon and Miranda Kerr for iD. I personally find it very exciting and I hope they keep stepping it up to the next level. If they successfully manage to do both commercial and high fashion, season after season, they definitely will qualify as supermodels to me.

20-05-2010
!

well most of them already started in HF. it's like coming back to an old neighborhood.

20-05-2010
trendsetter

apart from Doutzen in hf, they were never this successful as they are now, definitely VS helped establish their names, it seems like a much stronger second inning in high fashion for them.

Last edited by Sam12; 20-05-2010 at 10:00 PM.
20-05-2010
backstage pass

i don't care too much for VS girls.
they suit what they do for VS, like blowing kisses, pouting and all those cheesy gimmicks , that is why i don't like to see them do H/F cause i can't take them seriously.

and the biggest thing that really irritates me is, if i have to hear one more time about 'curvy' VS girls, with healthy womanly figures i will throw something into my computer. VS girls are just as skinny, even skinner, than H/F girls, looking at you Miranda and Ale...

20-05-2010
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.Woman85 View Post
i don't care too much for VS girls.
they suit what they do for VS, like blowing kisses, pouting and all those cheesy gimmicks , that is why i don't like to see them do H/F cause i can't take them seriously.

and the biggest thing that really irritates me is, if i have to hear one more time about 'curvy' VS girls, with healthy womanly figures i will throw something into my computer. VS girls are just as skinny, even skinner, than H/F girls, looking at you Miranda and Ale...
As far as the blowing kisses and pouting, they are pretty much being told to do that. The 2003-2006 era of the VSFS was strictly a fashion show.The girls walked, posed, gave that sultry look and went on their way. The 2007 post era is all about the girls trying to incorporate having a good time and showing enthusiasm. ie. by blowing kisses, interacting with the crowd, and waving. Basically it's their job now to do that. How else would they draw millions of people to the television. If it was the 2003-2005 era, the show would be done by now. Average people not associated with fashion get bored of just a regular show. They need that extra factor.

I think the curvy VS stamp needs to be applied to a certain girl. Not the overall VS team. Some are skinnier, and some are curvier. Ale, Adri, Heidi, Gisele, and KK are now mothers. Their bodies are totally different than some HF girls.

Also, I am alllll for the VS girls venturing into the HF arena. They are superb models, and it's nice to see them do something different. Many people probably won't agree but it's refreshing.

Last edited by Zann; 20-05-2010 at 10:38 PM.
21-05-2010
clo
V.I.P.

Well, many of them started in high-fashion, like Doutzen, for example, so I'm not surprised to see them back in HF again. Actually, I do hope to see more of some of them in HF than in VS, to be perfectly honest.

21-05-2010
backstage pass

I think it's exactly opposite:
there are more and more HF-models who are doing VS.

backstage pass

I think it is great, it provides variety to the fashion industry and challeng pple's aesthetic.

21-05-2010
trendsetter

Watching some of the more recent shows, like Louis Vuitton, I am surprised how easily some of the VS girls can transition into the high fashion field. Let's not forget that high fashion use to have models who looked like the VS girls. And the most successful high fashion models right now, in terms of making bank, can easily go into VS....

I wonder if we're going to have another resurgence of Brazilian models....

Some, maybe even most, "high fashion" models these days barely can model anyways, so I'd take a Miranda or Ale or Adriana over them any day. Tired of seeing blank expressionless faces walking down the catwalks and gracing covers and editorials of prominent fashion magazines.

22-05-2010
tfs star

^My toughts exactly. When people were complaining about Vs girls at last fashion week, how they didn`t fit in, I was like wtf? Some people just like to complain, but if I wouldn`t have known their names, I didn`t have labeled them as lingerie models. I don`t know how it is so weird if they do runway. They are models anyway, and not just any kind of models, but very experienced ones.

22-05-2010
V.I.P.

I think people tend to forget that a lot of the VS girls started out in HF. And they also forget the past HF shows. Look at Dior RTW S/S 2003.

24-05-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I like the trend and hope it traslates to the campaigns

don't look down

I would welcome the return of models who can handle most types of work that come their way, whether that's a swimsuit calendar or a couture shoot.

clever ain't wise

^Me too. But it's not likely to happen in an aesthetically pleasing fashion with the current VS batch. Though it looks like it's being forced upon us....the only one I can stand doing HF work are Karolina, Chanel and Doutzen and perhaps Adriana.

26-05-2010
V.I.P.

i think the fashion industry is finally moving out of this mindset that glamourous, curvy, women aren't valuable as models.

nothing against the models who have been successful in high fashion for the past few years - because the most successful of them are incredibly beautiful and talented models... but very few are able to do any kind of modeling work that's thrown at them.

that was what defined the "Supermodel Era" - models who were equally comfortable in a Chanel haute couture show as they were in a Diet Pepsi commercial or a swimsuit campaign.

i would definitely welcome the return of the multi-faceted model, who could tackle all these aspects of modeling. and i think that's where we're going. it's a new decade, after all. time for some fresh ideas or new takes on classic ones.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, high, models, secret, victoria