How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-05-2006
windowshopping

Future supermodels are Karolina Kurkova, Isabeli Fontana, Daria Werbowy, Liya Kebede, and may be one of the doll-faced girls possibly Gemma:p

30-05-2006
V.I.P.

Isabeli has 2 children already. i think that she's certainly had a tremendously successful run at the modelling game. she's done alot of great work with many fabulous photographers, as well as commercial things like SI and VS. but, if she hasn't achieved the "Supermodel" recognition already, i doubt it's coming. she doesn't seem to want it. a Supermodel has to be a great spokesperson, and Isabeli, though great, doesn't seem to have the right personality for the part (in contrast to someone like Gisele or KK). Daria, as i said, i could definitely see it in her future. Liya, well she's sort of boring. there has to be adventure for the public to actually care. Gemma is like a little child. a Supermodel has to be womanly. Karolina i think has all the makings of a true Super, and we'll see in the next year how much more exposure she gets.

scenester

Note: I said that supermodels would be repeated, but that it wouldn't be the same as before. Fashion is just not the same, and neither is the world of celebrities.

30-05-2006
V.I.P.

Exactly!!!

I don't think that there will be another Super for quite awhile because of the way that celebrity culture is at this time.

I like the IMG definition of "fashion" supers and "commercial" supers. These days when you have to be a celeb to get a cover, you can't combine the two as much. One day, I hope for a model who will combine the two again and dominate not only the fashion world but the rest of the world as well.

About Daria, yes I find it to be a bit perpetuated. I have the Vogue Australia that she had the cover for and it seemed that she didn't have as much interest in being a "super".

30-05-2006
fashion elite

Depends on your definition of supermodel. For some people a supermodel is just a very successful supermodel so Gemma, Daria, etc are all supermodels.

The notion that "supermodels" must do both commercial and fashion modeling stems from the past a la the Trinity and from stupid shows like ANTM. Basically this means "supermodels" are in essence models who have turned into celebrities. I dont think this would happen anytime soon not only because of the publics reaction but also the designers. They seem adverse to letting very well known "celebrity-status" models on their runway (correct me if I'm wrong) so most models that cross over into the celebrity realm become celebrities, movie stars, former models, etc.

There are too many definitions and so many here have seem to have accepted the one that describes the Trinity. I'd prefer to define supermodels as just highly successful fashion models. The other stuff like personality, celebrity status, commercial modeling are just superfluous to the definition and applicable to some in the past.

04-06-2006
V.I.P.

Lilykarebare: "I hate to say it, but I don't think that the supermodel era will ever return."

I think there is no such thing as the 'supermodel era' that is nonsense. Supers still exist and are being created (very very few per generation and definately not as many as are given the oft used term) but they aren't immortal. OF COURSE you remember them -it was only one/two decades ago. Nobody will remember them in a hundred years any more than people know who Clara Bow is. It is only really writers and political leaders who are remembered. People will know who Kate Moss it in twenty years because she is a super no doubt. And Gisele also. But no longer than that. Who knows Verushka? Or Penelope Tree? Some people on this board need to get over the idea of the 90s Trinity just as I need to get over the idea of Kate Moss. The supermodel era wasn't one period in time at all, it is just the most recent era in time. Admittedly it was when the word 'supermodel' first gained widespread use but the word just illustrates the concept. This is why I disagree with HappyCanadian when he says,

"the only TRUE supermodels are the ones for whom the term was coined, Linda, Naomi, Cindy, Christy & Claudia."

I bet the greats of the twenties were as great then (maybe not models but society girls which is the social equivalent before the gloabalisation of beauty. Later people like the Paleys and the Rothschilds and the Gettys and the Astors) but who cares about them now?

12-06-2006
Seductress in Eden

What about gemma ward?

12-06-2006
trendsetter

gemma is a supermodel on the model industry but if you ask whoever who is naomi campbell they'll see who is it but if you say gemma ward.... they won't know.

12-06-2006
Seductress in Eden

oh ok ^

I think people mistake perfection with supermodels when they all have their flaws... and i think their flaws make them unique...

15-06-2006
trendsetter

i don't see what you mean...

15-06-2006
fashion elite

^ basically like Moss's snaggletooth and stuff like that. I think thats what she means..

15-06-2006
trendsetter

oh i see.... some flaws make some models being supermodels ?

15-06-2006
V.I.P.

i guess so . . ..

but i certainly am struggling to find any sort of flaws in Christy, Linda, Naomi, Claudia, Cindy. . . :S

Seductress in Eden

like kate isnt as tall as most

cindy wasnt rail thin

tara wasnt rail thin

15-06-2006
V.I.P.

but when these women came out "rail thin" wasn't even remotely popular or desirable --- so for that era, they were basically flawless.

and by "tara", i'm guess you typoed "Tyra" right? in my opinion, she was virtually flawless when she came out as well. only recently since she's put on weight is there anything she could improve upon.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
makes, supermodel