How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-06-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoni~Heiress
I think Karolina is become more famous today... she seems different than 5 years ago...
Interesting comments, I feel I haven't seen her as much unlike 3-6 years ago. Maybe it's the VS curse, I don't know. I'm not afraid to say I don't really track her,never did. But it seems it's less Karolina now.

Last edited by OMIFAN9; 21-06-2006 at 05:09 PM.

21-06-2006
V.I.P.

Karolina is more well known now than she ever was. Her high fashion career wasn' t spectacular but it was good. The VS contract and the various appearances on their runway will expose her to the mainstream public. She seems to hang out with celebrities alot lately so yeah. She is definately getting there!.

VSFS 2009!

She may not have reached household name status (I find that a lot more people know who Gisele is) but she is, like everyone says, as close as it gets.

21-06-2006
tfs star

Karolina really doesn't do any high fashion work though anymore. Maybe its because of the VS contract? Anyway, I think her career will be more like Angela Lindvall or Carolyn Murphy. Both have done well high fashion and have done well commercially (Sports Illustrated, CoverGirl, Estee Lauder, GAP, etc) but never any type of house hold name.

21-06-2006
fashion insider

C'mon guys, you can't compare Gisele with Karolina, I mean, Gisele has an amazing High Fashion career, a lot of Vogue/Harper's covers and did every fashion show in the universe, Karolina will never be like Gisele, Karolina is not a Supermodel.

Gisele IS a modern Supermodel.

21-06-2006
fashion elite

aye aye captain..

21-06-2006
V.I.P.

Gisele and Karolina, by my standards, will never be true supers. While both had good high fashion careers and both are VS standouts, neither one really had the personality that crosses over and makes people want to know them. Adriana is another example but she never really had that much of a high fashion career to write home about before signing with VS. More people now know her because of her mens magazine covers-but GQ ain't Vogue. A true super would be mixing the commercial at the same time as the high fashion, but it is very difficult, as the models who do mix it are not as well known. It's a choice essentially of one or the other. There are models who are tearing up the SI issue and VS like Oluchi, Ana BB, and Fernanda but you don't see them on the runways as often. There are also models like Caroline T., Iselin, and Natasha, who are runway standouts but even though you'll see them in the VS catalogues or something, they aren't in the public eye.

With that being said, I think that the model who mixes it the best is Isabeli. She has been in SI and VS, but also can do some good high fashion campaigns. Now she has a huge Revlon perfume campaign-but she's pregnant again. If she was able to permeate the American consciousness like Heidi, Tyra, etc., she would be close to, if not a Super IMO.

See the thing is though, I doubt there will be a super for a long time because after the fallout from the early 90's, designers are seeming to be more apt to use lesser-known names because the focus is on the clothes and what not. However Daria is seeming to permeate the consciousness of the fashion world however I don't think it looks like she wants to be in the echelons of Linda, Christy, etc.

21-06-2006
V.I.P.

nobody is trying to compare KK to Gisele, joseph.

Gisele and Kate are truly the only models who've transitioned into the public eye to the extent that the models of the early 90s have. and even still, WAY more people would recognize the name "Cindy Crawford" or "Claudia Schiffer" or "Naomi Campbell" than "Kate Moss" or "Gisele Bundchen".

Karolina isn't in the same league as either Kate or Gisele, and nobody (not even myself, a huge KK fan) would be foolish enough to try and argue that point.

All that was said was that in terms of having both a tremendously successful runway/edit/high fashion career AND commercial swimsuit/lingerie,etc career -- Karolina Kurkova is the closest that we've got to it at the moment. (ASIDE from Kate & Gisele).

Isabeli is omnipresent, but she doesn't have enough pizazz to really be noticed. she's involved in SI and VS and major campaigns and runway shows, but rarely is she the STANDOUT.

chaos reigns

Ok ... the supermodels come from an era .. back in the 90's ... when Linda made the infamous $10,000 quote ... that epytomizes supermodel attitude ... backstage sipping on champaign being obnoxious and making ridiculous requests ... doing high fashion mags as well as Pepsi or Pizza Hut commercials (the one with Linda and Cindy, anyone) ... that era is GONE and wont come back (5 supermodels just a a star has 5 ends).

Immediately after them we had a new star ... Kate ... she's a class apart from the supers and she still is ... I prefer this girl to anyone nowadays.

Then ... the new crop ... which include the brazilians and then the russians, checz et al.

At this very moment ... I'm particularly interested on the models which bring something new ... like what happened to supernova.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycanadian
nobody is trying to compare KK to Gisele, joseph.
There was kinda some hints,so he just wanted to nip it in the bud I'm sure. So he got to the point,which I think we agree on what was said about KK. Plus you have to remember there is a tad bit of a language barrier in this situation. Alright guys,I didn't plan on coming back/stepping in,but I felt I had to b/c I do take interest in you two. And since that's done, now it'll be back to the current comedy.

Last edited by OMIFAN9; 21-06-2006 at 10:47 PM.
22-06-2006
V.I.P.

i just went to an italian news site and read about heidi klum being pregnant again. i don't think most of italians know who she is, but she had a child also with flavio briatore and everyone here knows who briatore is. inf act he was mentioned in the article.
so what? i quoted this example to say again that if nowadays you want a massive mainstream media attention it seems to me that you more than ever have to be a part of a certain group of celebrieties and be available to make your private life public. for instance having a famous boyfriend.
i'm not saying that this situation was the same 20 years ago, it simply seems that various models don't want to get this kind of attention, that's all. they consider modeling as a business. you don't need to know them personally to say that, it's simply a fact of what they express.
so, taking daria's example, since it's the one i know better, she'll do/she's doing vuitton-chanel-cavalli-versace for the fall campaigns, but she won't become a household name until she doesn't get a household b/f or makes some scandal. i'm afraid that a vogue cover won't be enough either.

second. what i've learnt in this last year is that, unlike the supermodels' era, hot models aren't high fashion models. there's an almost complete separation. it's like VS/SI vs. high fashion. completely different bodies seem to be requested. i don't know if it's good, personally i don't like the alien trend, but it's rather evident that high fashion models are more androgynous while SI models have big boobs!
it seems to me that if an ability to cover both sides is another essential condition to get supermodel's status, not only, again, we're facing a big historical change, but it's also a *technical* problem.

what solution? it seems that some ppl just would like to have the h-f models get retired and make the hot models conquer the whole field again.
personally i'm simply happy that daria isn't a supermodel. if there're some posters who have happened to read my posts during these months, they know that the simple reason is that my views are at odds with nowadays mainstream culture.

Last edited by eword; 22-06-2006 at 01:08 AM.
22-06-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eword
second. what i've learnt in this last year is that, unlike the supermodels' era, hot models aren't high fashion models. there's an almost complete separation. it's like VS/SI vs. high fashion. completely different bodies seem to be requested.
yes.

the Supers were also the top haute couture models. they ruled it all. this separation today i don't like at all.

Sure there were still the exclusively swimsuit models during the "super-era" (ie Kathy Ireland, Rachel Hunter, Valeria Mazza, etc etc) but they weren't nearly as famous or significant as the true supers.

Today, without question, the most famous models are the ones in VS or SI and very few of them have made a serious impact in High Fashion as well. I find it ridiculous and sad that WAY more people know someone like Veronica Varekova than say Fernanda Tavares, or even Daria.

i am CERTAINLY one of those who would prefer to see the hot WOMEN with curvy bodies and charismatic personalities back on the runways and in the editorials.

i could never understand the idea that the designers don't want the models to take attention away from the clothes. its just completely ridiculous. anyone who's ever watched Naomi, Gisele, Linda, Yasmeen, Karolina, Christy, Carmen, Eva, etc walk down a runway knows that they help MAKE the clothes that much more desirable. poetry in motion.

V.I.P.

also -- i think i gotta agree with omi. its time to bow out of this thread. all that can be said, i think, has already been said.

V.I.P.

^ i agree too.

but to me it's always very interesting to read through threads like that, it helps me understand better a lot of things.

VSFS 2009!

Yyp! I've been going through this thread since yesterday.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
makes, supermodel