How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-09-2006
V.I.P.

I find it funny how a lot of the models listed as Supers on some of them are models who just did or mainly did lingerie/swimsuit and also how the ones who always show up on lists are Brazilians.

20-09-2006
backstage pass

Thanks for the karma TGA!

20-09-2006
V.I.P.

I pretty much consider a model a "supermodel" if they're a well known celebrity.

20-09-2006
V.I.P.

More info in Careers and Education forum of tFS

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...del-23403.html

20-09-2006
VSFS 2009!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynMonroe
Thanks for the karma TGA!
You're very welcome

20-09-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynMonroe
These years were known as the "era of the supermodels". Among these supermodels included Bridget Hall, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Shana Zadrick, Claudia Schiffer, Christy Turlington, Kate Moss, Bridget Hall, Cindy Crawford, Kristen McMenamy, Gail O'Neil, Lisa Taylor, Bonnie Burman, Vera Cox, Robyn Mackintosh, Naomi Campbell, Emma Sjoberg, Louis Vyent, Jerry Hall, Karen Alexander, Valeria Mazza, Ashley Richardson, Rachel Williams, Linda Evangelista, Rene Simonsen, Estelle Hallyday, Claudia Mason, Veronica Webb, Kristen McMenamy, Megan Douglas, Helena Christensen, Shana Zadrick, Paulina Porizkova, Daniela Peštová, Yasmeen Ghauri, Elle Macpherson, Claudia Schiffer, Christy Turlington, Carol Alt, Elaine Irwin Mellencamp, Rachel Hunter, Kate Moss, Carla Bruni, Tatjana Patitz, Kara Young, Patricia Velasquez, Brandi Quinones, Laetitia Casta, Yamila Diaz-Rahi, Niki Taylor, Carolyn Murphy, Shalom Harlow, Nadja Auermann, Elsa Benitez, Beverly Peele, Amber Valletta, Emma Sjöberg, Tyra Banks, Karen Mulder, Michaela Bercu, Eva Herzigova, and Stephanie Seymour.These models were known as the great supermodels of the supermodel era.
I love that this mentions the names of many of the luminaries of the supermodel era (late 80s/early 90s). Usually when someone speaks of that era, they only mention the five original supermodels (Linda, Christy, Naomi, Cindy, and Claudia) and that's it. So it's good to see some of the other models mentioned.

In addition, some of the other luminaries from that era were: Yasmin Le Bon, Gail Elliot, Talisa Soto, Claudia Mason, Nadege Du Bospertus, Marpessa, Angelika Kallio, Anna Getaneh, Sonia Cole, Inés Sastre, Judit Masco, Angie Everhart, Katoucha, Michelle Legare, Ilonka, Anjani, Dalma, Gurmit, Gisele Zelauy, Fabienne Terwinghe, and Ines De La Fressange.

I was a teenager in the late 80s and early 90s, and I remember those days vividly. The whole fashion scene was VERY different from what it is today. Models were classically beautiful. A lot of the models of today would not have fit in, if they had been around in those days.

I miss those days. The fashion scene of today is only a fragment of what it once was.

20-09-2006
VSFS 2009!

I blame society's obsession with celebrities :p

21-09-2006
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassAngel
I blame society's obsession with celebrities :p
But the big question is - why aren't the most beautiful people in the world celebrities, rather than semi-ugly celebs who don't know no better than to sound like idiots and show their genitals?

The answer is, IMO, two fold:

1) Actresses advertise for their movies on the covers of big magazines. The magazine cover has simply been sold as part of the publicist machinery for actresses rather than for the clothes. Big bucks.

2) Designers don't have to pay enormous sums to get the best models - because those models aren't famous.

21-09-2006
V.I.P.

1. What is a Supermodel?
2. How does one define success in the industry???

Supermodel means someone who is an icon, not only for fashion but also for the media. To me the supermodel is either Cindy Crawford or Gisele Bundchen.

I think sucess is having sex appeal, commercial looks, a good speaker, confidence, stage presence and just that special factor.

front row

To say that Tyra Banks isn't a supermodel is ludicrous. From walking the runways of CHANEL and Yves Saint Laurent in Paris to Cover Girl campaigns...To Vogue, Elle and Harper's Bazaar covers....to Pepsi Commercials...To Nike commercials.....to Sports Illustrated covers to Victoria Secret to Movies and TV..If that's not a supermodel, I don't know what is. She has touched several audiences.

28-09-2006
front row

A model can be very successful yet not a "supermodel". Success is an individual measure: For one model it may mean making a ton of money, yet for another it may mean shooting with the top photographers/magazines. A supermodel is a model who is somewhat iconic. Someone with media attention similar to that of a movie star or rock star. The most recent supermodel I would argue is Gisele. Someone like Daria is sort of on the verge- she's a spokesmodel and many people know her, however she is not a celebrity per-say.
That's my view, anyway.

28-09-2006
front row

And that's ridiculous that Tyra thinks if a model makes enough money that makes her a supermodel. There are many models who have more money than you can imagine yet no one knows who they are. Booking solid catalogues, especially in places like Asia, can make you rich but you can still be generally unknown to the population.

28-09-2006
V.I.P.

Two kinds of SUPERMODELS -- both equally legitimate, in my opinion.

Commercial Supermodel:
One who becomes famous from her huge commercial endorsements, not from her career in high fashion. ie: Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, Petra Nemcova, Adriana Lima, Niki Taylor, Elle MacPherson, Rebecca Romijn, Laetitia Casta. These women are certainly famous, certainly successful, and certainly models. Thus, they are most certainly supermodels. They generally skip the initial career in high fashion. They've used their fame to transition into other forms of the entertainment industry, be it as actresses, talk-show hosts, reality show creators/hosts, etc etc.

High Fashion Supermodels: These are women who grew to fame because of their work in high fashion. They used that success to become famous in a more general sense as a model, ballancing both haute and commercial work. Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer, Stephanie Seymour, Helena Christensen, Kate Moss, Amber Valetta, Eva Herzigova, Gisele Bundchen, Karolina Kurkova. These models begin their careers by conquering the world of High Fashion, yet use that success to get work in the higher-paying, more name-recognizeable world of commercial modelling.

Just my opinion. I think all of the girls I've mentioned are commonly referred to as "Supermodels" and I think they certainly deserve that title.

There are loads of tremendously successful models in terms of wealth and respectability in both the commercial world (Daniela Pestova, Veronica Varekova, Elsa Benitez, Yamila Diaz-Rahi, Kathy Ireland, etc) and the high fashion world (Daria Werbowy, Carmen Kass, Alek Wek, Stella Tennant, Erin O'Connor, etc). But a TRUE supermodel is one who has a certain amount of public name-recognition, coupled with huge success in their respective modelling worlds.

It's the FAME that seperates the Supermodels from the Topmodels.

front row

Ummm Paulbpc...that's what supermodels are!!!! Models are people that get paid whopping sums of money to model. Success DOES make a SUPERMODEL. If someone mentions the name TYRA....that name is known and associated with world renowned modeling!!! Last name not needed. . Everyone knows who TYRA is BECAUSE she has touched all aspects of modeling. Fashion followers of the late 80's and early 90's know her from walking the catwalks of Versace and Chanel, Guys know her from Nike and Sport Illustrated, Women from all walks of life know her from Victoria's Secret and Covergirl. If you were to mention NATALIA, would anyone know who you were referring to? (Besides people that follow fashion) THAT IS WHAT MAKES A SUPERMODEL. Supermodels are known.....Supermodels are famous. Supermodels star in George Michael videos. LOL

Last edited by ChristionCouture; 29-09-2006 at 12:26 AM.
19-03-2013
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycanadian View Post
yes.

the Supers were also the top haute couture models. they ruled it all. this separation today i don't like at all.

Sure there were still the exclusively swimsuit models during the "super-era" (ie Kathy Ireland, Rachel Hunter, Valeria Mazza, etc etc) but they weren't nearly as famous or significant as the true supers.

Today, without question, the most famous models are the ones in VS or SI and very few of them have made a serious impact in High Fashion as well. I find it ridiculous and sad that WAY more people know someone like Veronica Varekova than say Fernanda Tavares, or even Daria.

i am CERTAINLY one of those who would prefer to see the hot WOMEN with curvy bodies and charismatic personalities back on the runways and in the editorials.

i could never understand the idea that the designers don't want the models to take attention away from the clothes. its just completely ridiculous. anyone who's ever watched Naomi, Gisele, Linda, Yasmeen, Karolina, Christy, Carmen, Eva, etc walk down a runway knows that they help MAKE the clothes that much more desirable. poetry in motion.

You are totally wrong.. you can't compare Kathy Ireland to Valeria Mazza, neither say that Valeria was only a swimsuit or lingerie model. Do your research. She is considered one of the supermodels group.

"In 1996 the Sunday Times and El Mundo papers conducted a survey among their readers in order to select the one hundred 20th century most important women. There were only two models in the final list: Valeria Mazza and Claudia Schiffer."

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
makes, supermodel